Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 02:45 PM

Shimano DuraAce STI Lever Question/Help

Hey all

I have a Dura Ace group set that I took off a used bike, and I'll admit I don't know much about the STI levers (all my road stuff is SS, geared MTBs) and not sure if they're in need of a repair, cleaning or just fine.

I was able to "shift" with the brake lever (they're not connected to cables or brakes/derailleurs), and now I cannot - with either lever on both brakes. I can move both levers on both brakes, but not enough to hear a click.

Any thoughts? Does it need the cable to reset?

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobslide View Post
Hey all

I have a Dura Ace group set that I took off a used bike, and I'll admit I don't know much about the STI levers (all my road stuff is SS, geared MTBs) and not sure if they're in need of a repair, cleaning or just fine.

I was able to "shift" with the brake lever (they're not connected to cables or brakes/derailleurs), and now I cannot - with either lever on both brakes. I can move both levers on both brakes, but not enough to hear a click.

Any thoughts? Does it need the cable to reset?

Thanks.
Spray guts liberally with WD40. Up where the cable goes in. Ya sure no cable end still stuck in there? But spray and then hold big lever(brake lever) outboard while shifting small lever(right behind brake lever)...then shift up and down while spraying...let dry some and then a thin spray lube.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Spray guts liberally with WD40. Up where the cable goes in. Ya sure no cable end still stuck in there? But spray and then hold big lever(brake lever) outboard while shifting small lever(right behind brake lever)...then shift up and down while spraying...let dry some and then a thin spray lube.
Sweet, thanks! Will do! Hoping it's just gunked up!
Old 07-19-2019, 03:50 AM

Are they not mounted on a bike? STI levers rely on the cable tension to return; without that, you’ll be able to click up, but not back. Or maybe I’m not understanding. They are indexed, so there are only so many clicks in a given direction.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpuddle View Post
Are they not mounted on a bike? STI levers rely on the cable tension to return; without that, you’ll be able to click up, but not back. Or maybe I’m not understanding. They are indexed, so there are only so many clicks in a given direction.
Ah ok, that's what I was thinking.

They were working when on the bike, but now that they're off I want to ensure they still do before I try to sell them.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
To confirm, I can click up - but once it hits its limit, that's it. And, since I need cable tension to return, I am basically stuck until that time. Can't click up anymore till I click down.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
STI levers rely on the cable tension to return; without that, you’ll be able to click up, but not back.
Not my experience with 7700 or 7800. Properly functioning DA of those series index both ways without cable tension. Some DA levers have a screwed on cover that hides the mechanisms. If there, take cover off and articulate lever to expose as much of the guts as possible, then spray, actuate mechanism, and repeat.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesau View Post
Not my experience with 7700 or 7800. Properly functioning DA of those series index both ways without cable tension. Some DA levers have a screwed on cover that hides the mechanisms. If there, take cover off and articulate lever to expose as much of the guts as possible, then spray, actuate mechanism, and repeat.
OK thanks. Yes, they're 7800.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:09 PM

Boom it worked, thanks everyone!