Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 08:22 PM

Haven't worn mine since my last post from February, life is too short for uncomfortable shorts.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:23 PM

I wear them nearly every week commuting...no different than my assos bibs in comfort.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:53 AM

Bumping this to get some recent feedback as I'm thinking of grabbing a pair of the Black Bibs Plus Short Inseam. I do not have short legs, but the trend in bibs today seems to be to go nearly all the way to the knee and I don't dig that. I also don't care for as much compression as most makers are using. I'm 6' and 179-182 lbs. I am not built like a pro cyclist or swimmer at all. The days of drinking beer with impunity as it relates to my waistline are gone. I still drink beer.

Despite the fact that it says XL is for a waist of 38"-41" and I wear 34" waist in jeans and chinos, that's where I'm leaning.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:12 AM

I'm 6'2, 195lb with a 33-34 inch waist, and I feel like I should have gotten a large instead of the XL. I got the standard Black Bibs. They fit, but I like my bibs snug, and I tend to only use these when everything else is dirty.

If I were to do it again, I would get a large, and I would definitely get the Plus model with the "Italian silicon-infused power band." The standard model tends to slide down your leg, and with such a small seam it really makes the bibs look cheap.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:36 AM

I think I wore mine twice since my last post. Still uncomfortable
Old 07-18-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
It might be more helpful if you provided a bit more information about the model and size you bought, your own size and what bib models and size you do have good luck with.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Love mine still for the price.commute nearly every day in them.durability is excellent thus far.

I'm wearing medium and 6 feet tall and skinny with long legs.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
It might be more helpful if you provided a bit more information about the model and size you bought, your own size and what bib models and size you do have good luck with.
Previous page.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...9&postcount=44
Old 07-18-2019, 02:09 PM

Late to the game.

Funny, I just saw this thread after all these years.

Starlight is based in Roanoke, VA, so when I went home to visit the folks a couple years ago, saw a few people on group rides wearing the kit, and swung by the shop, I was impressed enough to order a few custom sets of team kit and some TT skin suits.

The initial sets of bibs weren't that great, to be honest. The chamois was okay (I had upgraded it), and has been mentioned, the mesh parts of the bib were not at all elastic and chafed a bit initially. The jerseys were decent enough for the price, but not the best fit I'd experienced. The skin suits were better than I expected for the price and did the job admirably. Since I only wear the skin suits a couple times a year, I can't speak much about durability. We stayed with Sugoi as our lit supplier.

A couple years later I had them make up a few sets of bibs that were essentially black with an elastic gripper with the team logo on it. While the mesh was smoother, they still didn't give much. However, the overall construction of the bibs was much better. I wear them for pretty much everything but racing, so I can save the more expensive Sugoi bibs.

Just recently I ordered three pairs of the basic black bibs. From the looks of it, they're pretty much on par with the second generation bibs I got. For the price, I can't complain.

Stratton and the rest of the Starlight/Cardinal guys have been very responsive to me, and I like supporting a shop like his, as they support the local cycling community.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:28 AM
Kind of OK

I bought the Black Bibs Plus tall and...I now own a second set. I'm 6'4", 200 and the larges fit perfectly. Keep an eye on the sizing when you order. This is the first set of bibs I've owned that didn't feel like short shorts. I'd rather have flat seams and a bit stouter fabric, but for the money, these are VERY hard to beat.
The chamois is also one of the more comfortable that I have ridden. It may be a bit thick for some, but it protects in all the right places. If I had a century to ride tomorrow, I'd pick these. Hands down.
I'll probably grab a third set for insurance soon.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:01 PM
#RYFB

Believe they're one of Phil's sponsors now, but I don't see a referral code from him.
Need one more set for the trainer, think I'll have to try a pair -- thanks for the reviews.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:59 PM

I recently gave them a shot and I'm pretty happy. For the money, I think you can't go wrong. For those that say they're as good a bibs that cost 3x or 4x as much, lets just say I wish I couldn't tell the difference, it would save me some money.

If you expect top tier quality, you'll be disappointed. If you want great bang for your buck at $40, they're a winner.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:19 AM
aka RAEKWON

I was in the market for some cargo bibs. I was going to get my usual, rapha, but recently rapha stuff has not been super durable (jersey have been great, just bibs) and I read a few reviews of the cargo bigs that I was not a fan of (durability wise for the core). Its not just rapha, I have a pair of pas normal studios bibs that have less than 1000 miles and the stitching on the chamois is also coming out. I think I am just hard on my bibs and whatever construction they do now. I have some older rapha bibs with no problems what so ever, assos bibs are fine (I just don't find them as comfortable but that pair of shorts has a TON of miles) and twin six also are fine but then again, don't really like the cut.

Anyone try the new black bibs adventure cargo ultimate bibs? $85, can't beat the price and I have read a ton about black bibs and people seem to love them. They now have a nicer version which has leg grippers and then a even nicer version that has nicer chamois and leg grippers. I just bought some but wondering what the consensus is.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I was in the market for some cargo bibs. I was going to get my usual, rapha, but recently rapha stuff has not been super durable (jersey have been great, just bibs) and I read a few reviews of the cargo bigs that I was not a fan of (durability wise for the core). Its not just rapha, I have a pair of pas normal studios bibs that have less than 1000 miles and the stitching on the chamois is also coming out. I think I am just hard on my bibs and whatever construction they do now. I have some older rapha bibs with no problems what so ever, assos bibs are fine (I just don't find them as comfortable but that pair of shorts has a TON of miles) and twin six also are fine but then again, don't really like the cut.

Anyone try the new black bibs adventure cargo ultimate bibs? $85, can't beat the price and I have read a ton about black bibs and people seem to love them. They now have a nicer version which has leg grippers and then a even nicer version that has nicer chamois and leg grippers. I just bought some but wondering what the consensus is.
I have the first or earlier version of the Blackbibs cargo bibs and they are great for the cost and so far, durable. This new version has a different chamois and better grippers. I agree with the Rapha durability issue. I have sent back two pairs for the stitching coming out. At least their customer service is good.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:30 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaliu View Post
I have the first or earlier version of the Blackbibs cargo bibs and they are great for the cost and so far, durable. This new version has a different chamois and better grippers. I agree with the Rapha durability issue. I have sent back two pairs for the stitching coming out. At least their customer service is good.
yes CS is impeccable BUT, they always tell me we can't repair and then send me a gift card so I will buy another pair that always has the same destiny unfortunately.