Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-14-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
OK, I'm the guy who looks at his phone in the morning and the battery is dead because I forgot to plug it in the night before.

I could see me not being able to ride due to the same forgetfulness. I'll stick to mechanical groups thanks
The battery is smaller, lighter and 15% longer life so potentially 9mths between charges
Old 03-14-2019, 04:50 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky View Post
It is my understanding that......
Due to SRAMS patents on battery location on derailleurs, Shimano, Campagnolo and any other drivetrain manufacturer cannot produce a wireless setup. Shimano have looked at trying to use rear mech jockey wheels as some kind of generator like a dynamo to provide power but......
if that's true shimano and campy have a taste of their own medicine. Their patents blocked SRAM on many fronts and forced the creation of double tap / eTAP. I used to think how innovate SRAM was...but the reality is they are both innovative and following the only paths left open to them
Old 03-14-2019, 04:53 PM
aka RAEKWON

the thing is... they could have gone with a partial wireless system...

1 battery with wires going down to both FD and RD. Shifters would be fully wireless.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:22 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
once sram introduced eTap, the game changed for electro shifting.

if i were campy or shimano, i would not even consider releasing a new electro group that has wires. yesterday's technology.

but, nobody is asking me.
You get way better battery life with a wired system and the wires are really only a pain when you first build it.

It will be interesting to see what Shimano does with its next generation.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
once sram introduced eTap, the game changed for electro shifting.

if i were campy or shimano, i would not even consider releasing a new electro group that has wires. yesterday's technology.

but, nobody is asking me.

Ya
Old 03-14-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Once over the sticker shock, it's interesting how the same reviewer gushed over their mechanical found some initial faults with the electronic.

At first glance it seems mechanical Campy is the way to go at the moment.

Tough to see this competing with AXS eTap when SRAM is delivering wireless and a power meter for $500 cheaper.
I just looked this group up. The PM is now a consumable, like a chain? Can't change rings, change the entire PM. Yeah, a break of 50% on the replacement, but wow. Forget aftermarket rings, too, I guess.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:47 PM
Forward the Foundation

Another vote for wireless shifters and wired mechs.
One big battery beats two littler ones with plastic
tabs hanging out in space.

I'll be interested when you can program them to run
10,11 or 12 speed.

And I'd still like electronic d/t shifters.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanternrouge View Post
You get way better battery life with a wired system and the wires are really only a pain when you first build it.
While this is certainly true, I've got a bunch of bikes that I will NEVER convert to wired electronic simply because they weren't made for it and IMHO there is no good way to run wires, mount the battery, etc., that doesn't look like a kludge and I'm not about to experiment with drilling holes in an expensive frame.

I've converted 2 bikes to eTap so far and if I get the urge to convert more, it'll be wireless.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:07 PM
Barely Hanging On

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
While this is certainly true, I've got a bunch of bikes that I will NEVER convert to wired electronic simply because they weren't made for it and IMHO there is no good way to run wires, mount the battery, etc., that doesn't look like a kludge and I'm not about to experiment with drilling holes in an expensive frame.
I wasn't even thinking about bikes not made for electronic shifting when I wrote that. I agree there's no non-fugly way to run wired electronic for bikes that don't have internal cabling.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:46 PM

Are there major differences in the braking of the modern big 3? Much has been written online re Dura Ace, not a huge amount as much on campy or SRAM.

Musing into the future; if discs have better modulation due to hydro....when will electronic braking w/ programmable little electric motors/servos to change "modulation" at will be invented?
Old 03-15-2019, 05:07 AM

riding 11 spd Gen II EPS I can vouch that mechanical shifts better than electronic, not speaking for Shimano/Sram, have never ridden either. aside from shifting electronically, nothing “added” going to electronic.

as for 12 spd? Inevitable “progression” given big 3 w@nt to grow sales. also believe the overkill looking crankset will evolve into something sleeker; like clothing fashion, size will alter moving forward. I suspect material innovation will assist here as well.

4K for the group? Yea, what have we come to? Will add, I simply love that region of Spain where tested, apparently so do the British! Finally, I got a Wilier Cento10 NDR last year that’s convertible to disk/rim brakes. Eventually I’ll try out the disks, thinking many of the kinks have been sorted.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
OK, I'm the guy who looks at his phone in the morning and the battery is dead because I forgot to plug it in the night before.

I could see me not being able to ride due to the same forgetfulness. I'll stick to mechanical groups thanks
Pretty funny, I guess..I look at my phone at night and then plug it in..BTW-I have Gen1 EPS and in 5 years have charged it about 6 times..Now, have that wee battery CR2032 in the RH lever be dead and not have one...that would drive me nutz..
Quote:
Yup, that's lost on a lot of people, those same who wince at 2-3 inches of those nasty, wind blocking wires, that come out of a frame.
Quote:
It will be interesting to see what Shimano does with its next generation.
It took YEARS for shimano to even make a BB30 crank and BB(do they even make a BB30 crank? I con't think so)..so wireless? Not sure..I think a 'smart' wireless front der ala XTR is first..no front shifter at all...but still 2by.

OBTW-you have Etap11s..and lust after that there 12s etap stuff..why, I'll just use my shimano 11s wheels and buy shifters/ders/cogset...oh, wait a minute..12s sram/shimano doesn't fit onto a 11s wheel..shades of 11s when 10s was all the rage. Yup, etap, like 11s shimano, makes a whole generation of shimano/sram compatible wheels..obsolete..of well, it's wireless(yawn)..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 03-15-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky View Post
SRAMS patents on battery location on derailleurs
eTap on my road bike is the best thing since sliced bread.

AXS is, at least on paper, more better and a thoughtful reconsideration of gearing.

except that SRAM needs more than baby steps in improving tire clearance for very large gravel tires at the front derailleur battery.

Instagram
Old 03-15-2019, 06:22 AM

The real question is, did the get rid of the stupid magnet strap that you had to use in order to kill the battery when not in use?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:37 AM

I am an electric fanboy-small hands and arthritic wrists appreciate the reduced effort - BUT I must say that I'm super impressed with post '15 mechanical Campy SR and Record. The front shifting is really improved, almost to di2 level. I can't see buying a Campy electronic group.