Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2019, 01:41 PM

(cycling fitness != running fitness)

And baby I ain't born to run ...

When I took up cycling in my late 30s I was a pretty strong runner, so of course assumed I'd be a hot s##t road rider. Got schooled there rather quickly, and it took years to develop some solid speed and stamina on the bike.

Almost 20 years later with all riding and no running ..., this AM I figured I get a good short ride in before heading to my brother in law's for plates of carnitas and beans refried in real lard. The rain didn't let up, so I figured I'd go out for a 3 mile brisk run. Although I'm old, I've logged more miles this winter than I can ever recall, and am in the best cycling shape I've been in for years. So how hard could this little run be?

Ouch. After 1/4 mile, both ankles hurt. 1 mile in my left shin is killing me, right knee hurts, back starts aching. At 2 miles my left calf cramps. I finish it off running like a penguin (tiny steps, straight up) to minimize the hurt.

The cardio certainly carries over - I'm not even winded and my heart rate is barely up. But my lower body is trashed. I know I need to ramp up some impact activities to prevent bone loss, but man this running stuff sure doesn't feel like it did 20 years ago!
Old 02-03-2019, 01:50 PM

I was a runner and mountain biker until transitioning to road riding about 15-20 years ago. My running peak was a marathon in 1994. My running dwindled down to 3-5 mile runs before turning into the occasional up and down the basketball court. Whenever I would try to get back into it, the short runs would be OK but the day after stiffness and soreness in the quads was almost debilitating. A couple years ago I did manage to run through it, dirt and grass trails helped and got up to about 3 miles before life got in the way again and now it’s just riding and running only when chased or chasing something.

I did, last week however, play some half court basketball with some younger guys and managed to sprain my wrist and pull a hamstring. Played pretty well up until that point however.

I do do give advice to runners in their late 30’s and 40’s though. If you enjoy running, don’t stop, because it is very painful and challenging to start again once you start to hit middle age.

Last edited by Spaghetti Legs; 02-03-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:01 PM

I’ve been riding for about 10 years now but never did much running until this winter. Part of the reason why is that I’d be in pain after even little runs. This winter I actually eased myself into it as a way of cross training with less daylight and less time. I managed to acclimate and start to repurpose some cycling fitness into running without hurting myself! I ran the 8.75 mile race that was my goal yesterday and I’m feeling kind of hooked now.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:17 PM

I am a rider first, runner second. Need to run at least 2x week to avoid the pain curve. Your cycling fitness generally allows a swift adaption but need to give it a few weeks

Worth it for cross training and, if you are older like me, bone density
Old 02-03-2019, 02:30 PM

My background is cycling, but took up running 4 years ago age 42. I now run about 20-30 miles per week and ride about 150 miles per week

I try to run one half marathon distance at a slow pace (about 1h45m), a 6 mile in about 50min and some interval training, usually 5 miles in 30 mins

My advice is to build slowly, you have stong cardio fitness, which means that you can probably push your body to breaking point pretty easily, initially run 3 miles in around 30mins, it will feel like you are harly moving. Do this 2 - 3 times per week, and gradually increase pace.... but not too quickly. Do not increase pace and distance at the same time

Over a 3 months period, your running will come back fine

FWIW, a fit person reaches their maximum pace at the age of 28, however, the decline is very slow, and someone who maintains good fitness should be able to run as fast at the age of 60 as they could at the age of 20
Old 02-03-2019, 03:02 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
And baby I ain't born to run ...

When I took up cycling in my late 30s I was a pretty strong runner, so of course assumed I'd be a hot s##t road rider. Got schooled there rather quickly, and it took years to develop some solid speed and stamina on the bike.

Almost 20 years later with all riding and no running ..., this AM I figured I get a good short ride in before heading to my brother in law's for plates of carnitas and beans refried in real lard. The rain didn't let up, so I figured I'd go out for a 3 mile brisk run. Although I'm old, I've logged more miles this winter than I can ever recall, and am in the best cycling shape I've been in for years. So how hard could this little run be?

Ouch. After 1/4 mile, both ankles hurt. 1 mile in my left shin is killing me, right knee hurts, back starts aching. At 2 miles my left calf cramps. I finish it off running like a penguin (tiny steps, straight up) to minimize the hurt.

!

Wait until tomorrow.
I think what you're feeling is pretty normal. I feel the same when I do my once-a-year Thanksgiving run. Basically, your muscles do the opposite movements when you compare running and cycling.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:48 PM

FWIW, a fit person reaches their maximum pace at the age of 28, however, the decline is very slow, and someone who maintains good fitness should be able to run as fast at the age of 60 as they could at the age of 20[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%, in my 20's I could easily run a sub 5 minute mile, today at 54 I can easily run a sub six.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:58 PM

oh man, my running abilities fell into the abyss.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I do do give advice to runners in their late 30’s and 40’s though. If you enjoy running, don’t stop, because it is very painful and challenging to start again once you start to hit middle age.
Just turned 51 this Jan and have been running 2x week most of the winter.

First few runs were teh suck. Started to get better and better. Still not where I was when I was running rather than riding (did the clean and jerk on my R1150RT wrong at the DMV) but it does get better.

Ran 4mi then rode 26mi this afternoon. Neither went particularly well, but I did it.

M
Old 02-03-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
oh man, my running abilities fell into the abyss.
yup - for me, running is tougher than cycling - especially the older I get. And I have been a runner for over 40 years.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

I was part of the Jim Fixx, long, slow, distance era..started in 1975 or so...ran my first marathon in 1977(USMC)..loved the freedom, ease-shorts, shoes, go run. Ran all over, on aircraft carrier, HongKong, Philippines, Singapore, Japan, ...all over. Loved it. BUT injuries, achilles tendons...so stopped, but I miss the ease of running vs the complexity of cycling. Lots less $ too.

Nothing better than running in Ft Story path, VA Bch, during a gentle snow...SO quiet, beautiful, not cold..('cold? put on a hat')...miss it but 'returning', after not running since 1985(NYC marathon, 1985), not so sure about that. I am tempted to wander into Boulder Running Company and seeing what they say..about shoes for this .68 of a century guy..starting to 'jog' again, sure isn't going to be 'running'..but I miss it.
BTW-I was built for comfort, not for speed..I ran a half marathon same pace as a 5k..meaning the 5k was pretty slow BUT running a 16 miler on Sundays was no big deal..2 hours. Did a 8-12-8-12-8-16 schedule..took Monday 'off' but still jogged around a bit..Miss it.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:17 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I was part of the Jim Fixx, long, slow, distance era..started in 1975 or so...ran my first marathon in 1977(USMC)..loved the freedom, ease-shorts, shoes, go run. Ran all over, on aircraft carrier, HongKong, Philippines, Singapore, Japan, ...all over. Loved it. BUT injuries, achilles tendons...so stopped, but I miss the ease of running vs the complexity of cycling. Lots less $ too.

Nothing better than running in Ft Story path, VA Bch, during a gentle snow...SO quiet, beautiful, not cold..('cold? put on a hat')...miss it but 'returning', after not running since 1985(NYC marathon, 1985), not so sure about that. I am tempted to wander into Boulder Running Company and seeing what they say..about shoes for this .68 of a century guy..starting to 'jog' again, sure isn't going to be 'running'..but I miss it.
BTW-I was built for comfort, not for speed..I ran a half marathon same pace as a 5k..meaning the 5k was pretty slow BUT running a 16 miler on Sundays was no big deal..2 hours. Did a 8-12-8-12-8-16 schedule..took Monday 'off' but still jogged around a bit..Miss it.
You're in one of the most active towns in the country. finding someone with whom to run shouldn't be an issue.

Finding someone that isn't world class to run with may be different.

See also: the Hash House Harriers for people to connect with that are out to have a good time.

M
Old 02-04-2019, 11:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
You're in one of the most active towns in the country. finding someone with whom to run shouldn't be an issue.

Finding someone that isn't world class to run with may be different.

See also: the Hash House Harriers for people to connect with that are out to have a good time.

M
Wouldn't run with somebody for the same reason I don't like to ride with somebody..the who, what, when, where, how far, how fast..gig is tiresome plus all the testosterone....we'll see, kinda tired of riding right now..not much motivation to go thru the motion of riding.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:39 PM
This space left blank

Some of the bigger cushion shoes from Hoka might be a good starting point. I found it ironic that they appeared during the barefoot/minimalist shoe era a few years ago. Notice who's still around.......
Old 02-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Wouldn't run with somebody for the same reason I don't like to ride with somebody..the who, what, when, where, how far, how fast..gig is tiresome plus all the testosterone....we'll see, kinda tired of riding right now..not much motivation to go thru the motion of riding.
Cool thing about hashing is that no one knows how long you'll be out except the hares. Takes teamwork to make a hash work.

AFA the rest: running, especially winter running, misery loves company

M