Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2019, 01:34 PM

26” wheels on 700c frame

Ok, I’ve got a Moots DR I’m looking to build up and I’ve spotted a great deal on some ENVE XC 26” rims.

Sorry if I’m late to the party (the gravel revolution is a bit slow getting started on this side of the Atlantic) but has anyone tried similar, and what tyre size is recommended generally (I know it’ll be frame specific) to not screw the geo/ride characteristics too bad?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Jon
Old 03-05-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjones13 View Post
Ok, I’ve got a Moots DR I’m looking to build up and I’ve spotted a great deal on some ENVE XC 26” rims.

Sorry if I’m late to the party (the gravel revolution is a bit slow getting started on this side of the Atlantic) but has anyone tried similar, and what tyre size is recommended generally (I know it’ll be frame specific) to not screw the geo/ride characteristics too bad?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Jon
Simple math would require 2.2-2.6" tires to match up with the original geometry spec on 25-30mm tires. Better question would be whether those size tires would fit, which I highly doubt.

If you want to roll huge tires get a frame that was designed for them, not an endurance frame which will probably only fit 32mm 700c tires at the max.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:23 PM
Riding Along

I think you would be better off with 650B (27.5) wheels. With a bigger tire they have nearly the same diameter as a 700c wheel with a ~25c tire.