Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 06-12-2018, 12:01 PM

Hilly Billy 2018

Anybody going?

I'm not really in any shape to do it, but you only live once, right?
So if you see an old guy with a Republic of Newfoundland jersey hacking up a lung on the side of the trail, say hi.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghcs View Post
Anybody going?

I'm not really in any shape to do it, but you only live once, right?
So if you see an old guy with a Republic of Newfoundland jersey hacking up a lung on the side of the trail, say hi.

This ride has been on my radar the past 2 years but unfortunately timing has not worked out for me. I'm from WV so thought a pilgrimage back for this would be in order. I'm definitely going to work this into my schedule next year and would love to hear a report after you do it. The videos make it look like a fun and very challenging course. Good luck and have a great time!
Old 06-26-2018, 09:54 AM

Well, they don't have hills like that in Toronto.

What a vicious course. My under-prepared, out of shape, fat ass was out there for almost 8 hours, but I finished.
And grinned like an idiot afterwards.

Every time I felt like giving up, something would appear that would make me want to keep going.

Excellent event, everyone involved was super nice, helpful and encouraging. Course was well marked/marshalled.
Kudos to JR, the organizing team and all the volunteers.

I have a year to learn how to climb.

Hilly Billy 2018 by ghcs, on Flickr

Last edited by ghcs; 06-26-2018 at 10:06 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 07-05-2018, 09:13 AM

Synopsis for those who have asked:

Yes it was very difficult.
But not impossibly difficult. There was only 1 section that I thought was impossible to ride a bike through (a very muddy, very steep, fairly short climb approx 5 miles from the finish).
The only other time that dismounting was required was a creek crossing where the banks were too steep to ride.
I personally had to walk a bunch of the gravel climbs, partly due to mechanical issues (and partly due to a lack of fitness).
The weather could not have been better: mid 70's to low 80's, overcast in the early going, clearing up in the later stages. Foul weather would make the ride way more difficult, IMO.
Some of the gravel descents were a little unsettling. Some of the paved descents were glorious. To quote a dude I passed in a valley near the third aid station "That was the best downhill of my life!"
I am already planning on returning, so it didn't break me. I met several guys at the hotel that evening who said they weren't coming back. I can only assume they thought it was too much. I also met another guy who, like me, was attempting this for the first time, took a long time to finish, and had already decided to come back next year.

So, should you do it? Yes, as long as you don't mind getting yourself and your bike dirty. Give it a shot. Whats the worst that can happen?

PS: Rode my 12 yr old Stumpjumper with Schwalbe CX Pro (26x1.35).

Last edited by ghcs; 07-06-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:10 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

This was HBR #6 for me. Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Got a decent spot at the start, then proceeded to lose spots for the next few hours. Made the mistake of riding to the numbers instead of what I was feeling. I *thought* I'd keep it to a dull roar thru the first lap, then go faster in the less steep, but longer climbs in the 2nd loop, but by the time I was done with the first loop (2:35ish) I was cooked and just didn't have any more oomph than I had before!

I was on Bontrager CX0 tires. The rear was pretty well worn out, but I didn't have time to fetch the new one from the shop down the road. That bald rear tire and 'not much tread to start with' front came back to bite me a few times, but the other 75% of the ride, the combo was fine.

This was a first for me: I rode tubeless tires instead of the usual tubulars. I'd flatted my rear LAS and knowing there are a pair of custom AL disc frames on order, I frittered away my time to reglue a rim brake wheelset. Aaah well. The tubeless combo worked at 45/45 psi. Didn't ride as nicely on the downhills, leading to some white knuckling in spots.

Little Indian Creek Extended was as muddy as you've heard about. Then there's another 'road' after JR's house (stop 4) that I had to walk due to the peanut butter mud. ...well... that and I was pretty well toast by that last uphill!

Ya see... my legs didn't get the memo to show up for the race. I was aiming at 5:30 and managed to limp around in 6:23. Grrr 24min SLOWER than last year despite better training. Go figure, huh?

Aaah well. There's next year. JR made a small amount of noise about 'maybe being the last one...' next year so if you're planning on going, better plan on it next June! IDK how serious he was 'cause the race is an obvious success, but...

M

Last edited by Gummee; 07-06-2018 at 01:13 PM.