Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2024, 07:43 PM

Rene Herse tires.

After reading all the hype on this forum about Rene Herse tires, I thought I’d try them and I ordered a pair of the Manatash Ridge 700cc x 44 tires gravel tires with the black endurance casing. No tire is good enough to warrant the level of frustration these have caused.

I’ve tried everything and I cannot get them to seat. My tape is good and I cleaned the beds and rims of all the old sealant. I tried soapy water, the strap method using an old inner tube, installing them with a tube to seat one side of the tire, and adding a little sealant, which ended up all over my work bench. I finally gave up after a few hours and went to my LBS. The shop owner spent 1/2 an hour, gave up, and suggested I think about different tires. I don’t know what you all are talking about.

If anyone wants a new set of tires, never used, but not in the OEM packaging, and one with a little sealant on it, please let me know. These are available and I’d be happy sell them for less than I paid just to never look at them again.

Last edited by djg21; 08-05-2024 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2024, 07:45 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

What rims were you using?
Old 05-31-2024, 07:49 PM

Yep, avoiding panaracer and Rene herse tires for tubeless setups will yield a happier life.

I know they can work, but why bother with so many other great options for often less $.
Old 05-31-2024, 07:50 PM

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time with them.

If you haven't completely given up, my method has been to leave them on the rims overnight and then try seating them again (w/ soapy water) and I've been successful every time.
Old 05-31-2024, 07:59 PM

terrible

I agree- I have not had good luck with Rene Here tires. They seem to need orange seal and a lot of patience.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:07 PM

Won't seat or won't even go on rims? Using a compressor or pump?

Which tape?
Old 05-31-2024, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolface View Post
I'm sorry you're having such a bad time with them.

If you haven't completely given up, my method has been to leave them on the rims overnight and then try seating them again (w/ soapy water) and I've been successful every time.
I tried. The beads don't come close to affixing to the hooks and stay in the center channel. I’ve tried pulling the sides of the tires and beads into the hooks with my fingers. No luck.

I’m trying to install these on FloCycling G700 rims, with a 25mm internal diameter. https://flocycling.com/collections/g...700-disc-brake. I have installed tires on these rims with my Silca pump — I don’t like using a compressor on carbon wheels. But even the compressor didn’t help with these tires. I’ve been using WTB Vulpines in 40mm width, which are good on most of the dirt roads I’ve been riding locally, but wanted something a bit wider to use in rougher more technical stuff I’ve been encountering lately.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Won't seat or won't even go on rims? Using a compressor or pump?

Which tape?
I don’t recall the brand, but it’s relatively high-end tape as rim tape goes, and it’s the correct width. I install rim tape using a truing stand and use two layers to make seating the beads easier. This is not an issue with the rim tape.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:25 PM

Sorry for the troubles I had similar not too long ago with Grav Kings. Valve core out when using a compressor?

Do they set up with tubes or no?
Old 05-31-2024, 08:25 PM

What valves are you using? Some valves allow more air and let a tire seat more easily than others. Schwalbe are particularly bad for me. Cheep ones with several holes at the top work better for me.

Also, are you removing the valve core when inflating to seat the beads? This will also let more air in and help.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2024, 08:30 PM
Administrator

I have not tried the endurance casing tires, but after much frustration and roadside time fiddling, I convinced myself that RH tires ride really well and are superb with tubes, but more hassle than they are worth tubeless.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
What valves are you using? Some valves allow more air and let a tire seat more easily than others. Schwalbe are particularly bad for me. Cheep ones with several holes at the top work better for me.

Also, are you removing the valve core when inflating to seat the beads? This will also let more air in and help.

Good luck!
I use Fillmore valves. They are high flow and don’t have removable cores.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Sorry for the troubles I had similar not too long ago with Grav Kings. Valve core out when using a compressor?

Do they set up with tubes or no?
They set up with tubes. But I when I peel the bead even a couple of inches to pull the tube (after cutting it so I can leave the bead largely seated) and installing a tubeless valve, it’s over and there is no reseating the bead.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:48 PM

How much air pressure? I have to go to 80* more often than I want. I don't really go over that, unless I close my eyes.

*not Rene Herse
Old 05-31-2024, 08:49 PM

I had a hell of a time mounting my extralight casing RH tires tubeless, only to find that they would not hold sealant in any reasonable way-constant sidewall weeping, and I would have to top up the tires with a pump mid ride.

I had more than enough of that nonsense for several lives, so I put some latex tubes in my tires. They are fantastic this way. I think RH is doing themselves a disservice by labeling some of their tires tubeless compatible. My tires were not TC, at least by my standards.

Tags
no free lunch, snake oil