Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
It's long been his dream to wear that shirt, but . . . would you sign there right now?

At least Liverpool have a manager and a concept in place, and it's conceivable that Alaba could right the ship.
But FSG is really pinching pennies at the moment, and Alaba would break the wage structure. I guess LFC could sell one of the front three?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Agree - it is a decent squad. Wonder what the players will be saying twelve months from now? Do you think Lampard was destined to serve long term or was he just a stop-gap measure?
I think we should consult a younger Lampard for answers to that question

Quote:

AVB had played his cards and it hadn't worked. I don't know if he was too young or whether it had come too early for him.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:03 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Do you think Lampard was destined to serve long term or was he just a stop-gap measure?
I think it was somewhat emotional, and always extremely results-dependent.

There was just zero evidence that Lampard had the experience or background to run a long-term "project," it was more along the lines of "let's see if he can inspire this group of guys to win trophies." It worked partially, because they overachieved last year with expectations low and the excuse of a transfer ban. That he can't find a way to integrate Werner and Havertz is pretty damning.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:57 PM

In other news, tasty match at the Stadio San Siro. A Derby della Madonnina match in the Coppa Italia. Zlatan scored first and seems to have riled up Lukaku a tad as well. Should be interesting.

Also, the match is like a who's who of recent Man-U cast offs: Dalot and Zlatan for Milan; Lukaku and Sanchez for Inter, with Ashley Young on the bench.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
In other news, tasty match at the Stadio San Siro. A Derby della Madonnina match in the Coppa Italia. Zlatan scored first and seems to have riled up Lukaku a tad as well. Should be interesting.

Also, the match is like a who's who of recent Man-U cast offs: Dalot and Zlatan for Milan; Lukaku and Sanchez for Inter, with Ashley Young on the bench.
Zlantan gone - 2nd yellow!!!
Old 01-26-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:

This game is a good warmup for what's to come (they play each other in less than a month - right now only separated by 2 points).
Barella (my favorite player on the pitch) is taking a beating.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Zlantan gone - 2nd yellow!!!
Complete joke

Zlatan out lukaku still on the pitch? Gimme a break. What lukaku did would have sent off anyone and zlatan wouldent have even made it through half of that before seeing a red.

Well hopefully they can cling on the z goal.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
This game is a good warmup for what's to come (they play each other in less than a month - right now only separated by 2 points).
Barella (my favorite player on the pitch) is taking a beating.
The last 15 minutes have been really rough for him. Ouch.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:50 PM

and damn, Eriksen delivers! The keeper was rooted and didnt even attempt to save the goal.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
and damn, Eriksen delivers! The keeper was rooted and didnt even attempt to save the goal.
Haha - 34 year olds reflexes arent what they used to be (hope Donnarumma learned his lesson - with no tifosi in the stands the refs can hear everything).

Eriksen did indeed deliver - I believe he has more to offer than just being a supersub, but I guess Conte doesnt think he fits into his system. I have not watched many Inter games but I wonder if he could be a number 10 playing just behind Lukaku and Sanchez.

I agree with tuscanyswe - not sure if Z's second card was warranted.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:36 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Haha - 34 year olds reflexes arent what they used to be.
Manuel and Gigi would like to have a word...
Old 01-26-2021, 04:40 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
I thought Alaba is going to Real Madrid?
Everyone thought so, then his Dad said no deal was sealed yet. With a player represented by Pini Zahavi, who van tell. Pool is a rumor cast by local media, sometimes they are spot on, sometimes they aren't. Alaba is on record saying he wasn't interested playing in the PL.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Haha - 34 year olds reflexes arent what they used to be (hope Donnarumma learned his lesson - with no tifosi in the stands the refs can hear everything).

Eriksen did indeed deliver - I believe he has more to offer than just being a supersub, but I guess Conte doesnt think he fits into his system. I have not watched many Inter games but I wonder if he could be a number 10 playing just behind Lukaku and Sanchez.

I agree with tuscanyswe - not sure if Z's second card was warranted.

It likely wasent but it was still a stupid unecesary move by ibra. Just im baffled with the refs in serie a. They are very poor imo.

Im more surprised how lukaku was still on the pitch after he completely lost it. Clear red. What did he have to do to get sent off? Actually punch someone?
Old 01-26-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post

It likely wasent but it was still a stupid unecesary move by ibra. Just im baffled with the refs in serie a. They are very poor imo.

Im more surprised how lukaku was still on the pitch after he completely lost it. Clear red. What did he have to do to get sent off? Actually punch someone?
That's what was baffling. He had a teammate tracking the guy whom he fouled. Neither of them was going to win the ball fairly. Why not let his teammate take one for the team...

Oh well, this will surely get him fired up for the upcoming Derby that @wc1934 mentioned. Does anyone know if red card suspensions from the cup carries over to league matches as well?
Old 01-27-2021, 01:39 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
That's what was baffling. He had a teammate tracking the guy whom he fouled. Neither of them was going to win the ball fairly. Why not let his teammate take one for the team...

Oh well, this will surely get him fired up for the upcoming Derby that @wc1934 mentioned. Does anyone know if red card suspensions from the cup carries over to league matches as well?
Match bans are tied to the competition by default.. Straight red cards are followed by a court procedure which decides the length of the ban, if the offense is deemed to be very severe,the ban can be extended for all competitions of that sports government body (so, for example both cup and league, but not CL, since that is run by UEFA, not the national organization). Zlatan received a simple yellow-red (second yellow), so he would be out for the next cup game but can play in the league.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:11 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I don't see it that way. He was jawing, and clearly provoked, but when he squared up with Ibra, it was easily 50:50.

Ibra doesn't come out of this looking too good, imho. The way he treats Lukaku should be beneath someone of his stature.