Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2013, 05:25 PM

Seriously consider the advice here. It's not DT it's not Conti. it's the term "standard." There truly is no such beast. Before buying new rubber mess with your strips, even just getting the first bead to sit in the lowest portion of the rim can make or break your experience!
Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 PM
tʌɪˈteɪniəm

pedros levers

wet the rim with water

or when screwed wet the rim with pledge/pedros bike lust etc..

how much are is not snapping over - 3 - inches ?

my vittoria's fit like loose jeans on open pro

Last edited by AgilisMerlin; 03-24-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:48 PM

Out of laziness I just put Velox on the Neutrons and 465s. The increased effort is noticeable, but not a deal breaker. I tightened up my technique and use Lezyne levers which are short, narrow, and *thin* with a *flat* back. Its thinness is the key--that and the small and well shaped tips.

They make Pedros levers look like something from the Flintstones, although Pedros do have well designed tips. Lezyne levers are not burly--they don't have to be if you hold the lever right. With that set up I switch tubes on the road standing up with one end of the wheel resting on my knees.

Last edited by bluesea; 03-24-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:57 PM
tʌɪˈteɪniəm

i take that as a compliment levers and all
Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 PM

^ It is! Pedros are the best levers for most tire/rim combos.

When I was having issues with my first Neutrons, and went to the LBS to pick up some Pedros, looking at them it was obvious they weren't the right tool for the job. Bigger levers increase tension as they work. Smaller levers decrease tension. Lezynes are the new Pedros for these situations.

Last edited by bluesea; 03-24-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
OP--what kind of rim strip are you using? It just may be too thick.

Seriously, your solution might be a $5 permanent fix.
It's called Continental Easy Tape. Can't find specs with the exact thickness, but Excel Sports says "installing tires is far easier than using thicker style tapes." Clearly lower profile than Velox...so it looks like these issues are occurring even though I have a "thin" rim strip.

Regarding the other comments: I have tried several of the tips given in this thread already, from soapy water to baby powder (not at the same time), and there is still a good 3-4 inches that isn't getting onto the rim. Not even close. My wife vetoed the dryer idea (even in an old pillowcase), and anyway, my dryer wouldn't be with me if I ever flat - I want to get comfortable changing these with the tools I could have with me on the road.

Maybe I'll try the Lezyne levers, otherwise maybe some PR4s. If those ideas don't work, I'll take SoCalSteve's advice and probably have an RR465 smashing party in my back yard. Anyone who brings beer would be invited.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:56 PM

black or orangeish/yellow? i dunno about the black stuff, but i had the conti orangish/yellow stuff awhile back. too thick.

try this: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...jor=1&minor=38

seriously, if it doesn't work for you, i'll buy it from you for your cost (i need a set anyway for a new pair of wheels).

i have used them successfully on a variety of rims from dt, mavic and velocity.

when installing, use a bic pen of something plastic and non-marring to property seat it right smack evenly in the middle--MAKE SURE it doesn't "ride" up along the rim sidewall/bead hook.

fyi the zipp rim strip is 16mm wide vs. conti's 18mm. those addt'l 2mm can be a ballbuster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-59 View Post
It's called Continental Easy Tape. Can't find specs with the exact thickness, but Excel Sports says "installing tires is far easier than using thicker style tapes." Clearly lower profile than Velox...so it looks like these issues are occurring even though I have a "thin" rim strip.

Regarding the other comments: I have tried several of the tips given in this thread already, from soapy water to baby powder (not at the same time), and there is still a good 3-4 inches that isn't getting onto the rim. Not even close. My wife vetoed the dryer idea (even in an old pillowcase), and anyway, my dryer wouldn't be with me if I ever flat - I want to get comfortable changing these with the tools I could have with me on the road.

Maybe I'll try the Lezyne levers, otherwise maybe some PR4s. If those ideas don't work, I'll take SoCalSteve's advice and probably have an RR465 smashing party in my back yard. Anyone who brings beer would be invited.

Last edited by 54ny77; 03-24-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 PM

I've been using the Schwalbe "cloth" rim tape for the last couple years. It's super thin nylon material...light, tough, and comes in both 15mm and 19mm.

I just keep a roll of the 15 around and have used it on both regular and 23mm rims without issue:

http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Bicyc...walbe+rim+tape

-Mark in St. Louis
Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
black or orangeish/yellow? i dunno about the black stuff, but i had the conti orangish/yellow stuff awhile back. too thick.

try this: http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...jor=1&minor=38

seriously, if it doesn't work for you, i'll buy it from you for your cost (i need a set anyway for a new pair of wheels).
I have the Conti in black...but I'll give the Zipp a try. Just ordered the Lezyne tire levers as well.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Registered (ab)User

I can't offer any answers...because I've never had the problem the OP describes. I use DT rims almost exclusively; my stable currently contains RR1.1, RR465, and whatever the stock rims on a set of DT 1450 Mon Chasserals is called. And I've used Conti GP400S tires exclusively for the past ~4 or 5 years.

To me they're no harder to mount when new than any other tire/rim combo I've tried (and fwiw they're a lot easier to mount than Michelin Pro3 Race tires on those same rims). And once mounted, getting the tires off & back on the rims for roadside flat repair is almost embarassingly easy.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM

Stan's yellow tape will make a noticeable difference, but may need care to avoid interfering with the bead grooves. Pretty slick stuff.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:29 PM

I've broken multiple park tools tire levers trying to get the last 4 inches of new GP4000s onto HED Belgium rims. That will wake everyone in the room up. No experience with DT Swiss rims though. My Neuvation rims aren't as hard to mount on though, IIRC.

Maybe next time I will get new rubber I'll try the dryer if I have issues....I think the secret there is to not ask the wife's permission first!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM

I've never had this tough of a time. Grab a Schwalbe Marathon and practice with that. If you can mount a Marathon bare handed you'll wonder how in the world you ever struggled with anything else.

Use the edge of your palm where the fingers meet, basically where you get the calluses on your hand, to roll the bead up over the edge of the rim.

No kidding, with enough practice I swear I can mount just about any rim/tire combo that was intended to go together (no, I cannot mount a 650 tire on a 700 rim).
Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 PM

I saw a riding partner palm the last inches of a 4000s bead onto my Neutron. Might have been able to do it when I was working, but not now.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:57 PM

So what are the chances that a DT Swiss rim was really made too big? Make that two rims.

I've tried nearly all of the advice on this thread. Zipp rim strips, Lezyne levers, soapy water, baby powder. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Still a good 3-4 inches that isn't going on. And just to be sure, I pulled out another tire, and it's exactly the same. Just not going to go on. And this is in the comfort of my basement, with whatever tools I need at my disposal. I wouldn't even think of taking them out on a ride.