Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2021, 10:53 AM

Absolutely no personal experience but I was in Malibu yesterday. Saw a V8 Vantage. One. Saw about 50 911s. Not joking. That alone would make me want the Vantage. And they look wonderful.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:17 PM
Forward the Foundation

Note that many options for the Aston are not listed,
you must visit the factory in person and sit for a interview
with a chap from MI6.

The bulletproof rear screen is now a kevlar panel,
so as not to spoil the f/r balance. The machine guns
are now charged by linear motors, eliminating the need
for an air compressor, much quieter, doesn't disturb the
passengers.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:42 PM

I would jump on it over a 911 if you can live with the weight/handling differences and get it serviced properly.

Where I live, service is key. It's a 4hr trailer move to the nearest dealer for any exotic. Nope, I don't want to mess with that. Everytime I hear and/or see a lambo or Ferrari whiz by I think ooh how fun, but what if it needs anything other than gas oil or water?
Old 11-15-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Everytime I hear and/or see a lambo or Ferrari whiz by I think ooh how fun, but what if it needs anything other than gas oil or water?
obviously their assistant handles such menial tasks such as getting their ferrari serviced
Old 11-15-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Everytime I hear and/or see a lambo or Ferrari whiz by I think ooh how fun, but what if it needs anything other than gas oil or water?
Most dealers will pick it up, and deliver it when done.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I would jump on it over a 911 if you can live with the weight/handling differences and get it serviced properly.

Where I live, service is key. It's a 4hr trailer move to the nearest dealer for any exotic. Nope, I don't want to mess with that. Everytime I hear and/or see a lambo or Ferrari whiz by I think ooh how fun, but what if it needs anything other than gas oil or water?
I have an independent tech that does Land Rover, Jaguar, and some Aston Martin services. He tells me that the cars are straightforward to work on--doesn't mean that the parts are available or inexpensive, but it is a good start.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post
Absolutely no personal experience but I was in Malibu yesterday. Saw a V8 Vantage. One. Saw about 50 911s. Not joking. That alone would make me want the Vantage. And they look wonderful.
I wonder if it was the Black '07 that I looked at on Saturday. The owner of that car seemed to be getting more and more excited about his car the longer he talked about it...very nice guy.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Fantastic! Buying one is probably a great move. They're such cool cars.

Oh, and to be clear, my comment wasn't a swipe in any way at the Paceline community. It was more a reference to your initial comments bolded above which seemed to indicate that you didn't care to hear from ANYONE except for those that actually have experience with a Vantage. Given the small number of Vantages produced, the likelihood of there being a significant enough number of Paceline members that have owned one and can provide a broad perspective on the cars seems fairly low.

Texbike
Tex, I was worried that what I said sounded argumentative--which is not what I was going for. You were totally right that the chances of getting in-depth owner feedback for a small run car...from a bike forum..is unlikely. I still like to run things past Paceline though--I'm always surprised by the responses!

Last edited by IJWS; 11-15-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Before Covid times, at our local car show, I talked with two gents. One used a DB7 as a daily driver, the other a Ferrari Daytona. Both were proud to point out the paint chips, and how much they looked forward to their commutes, and the disapproval they received from some members of their car clubs. I guessed they were doing it right, and they knew they were.
Not all heroes wear capes...
Old 11-15-2021, 06:58 PM
Descent fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Before Covid times, at our local car show, I talked with two gents. One used a DB7 as a daily driver, the other a Ferrari Daytona. Both were proud to point out the paint chips, and how much they looked forward to their commutes, and the disapproval they received from some members of their car clubs. I guessed they were doing it right, and they knew they were.
Slightly OT, but what the heck:

These guys are my brothers. Having had Porsches for the last 30+ years, I never bought into the shine, shine, shine, drive, shine mentality so prevalent in the PCA. Locally there are about five guys who used to race together and would regularly show up to backroad PCA driving events with our cars unwashed and looking a bit mangy. I once had a gent with an immaculate 996 Twin Turbo tell me I did not deserve to own my GT3 because I was obviously not taking care of it (it was my daily driver and it had not been washed in about two months).
When the driving started, this guy got in front of our little group and held everybody back driving the speed limit on these windy, deserted back roads. When we had a chance, we went past him as a group and arrived about 40 minutes before him to the food. When he pulled in, one of my friends who had overheard the earlier exchange approached him as he entered and told him that he did not deserve a TwinTurbo because he couldn’t drive worth *****.
I love that guy.
Old 11-15-2021, 09:06 PM

That red one above is a v12 Vanquish if my eyes don't deceive me.....I was very close to pulling the trigger on one a couple years back, but opted to wait. The paint on those cars took more time than the entire assembly of post-Gaydon cars. It's still on my short list, but definitely a different experience as a legit grand touring car vs. pure sports car/runabout. Drove many V8 Vantage's as well and they're much closer to a pure sports car experience, especially if you get a manual. I know others will argue, but I prefer a manual....not because it's demonstrably faster (it's not), it's just what I like.

Anyway, I say pull the trigger. V8V's are insanely cheap for what you get. Just make sure you get it with the spec you want and get it checked out beforehand so you know what you're up against with deferred maintenance, etc.

and if you REALLY want to step up, just buy a V12 Vantage. Those are screamers, but with a price tag to match.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
Tex, I was worried that what I said sounded argumentative--which is not what I was going for. You were totally right that the chances of getting in-depth owner feedback for a small run car...from a bike forum..is unlikely. I still like to run things past Paceline though--I'm always surprised by the responses!
All good! And yes, you're correct - the life experiences of this community are amazing and really surprising at times. Have fun finding your Vantage! Are you going for a Coupe or Cab?

Texbike
Old 11-16-2021, 12:05 PM
what's a little rust?

If I were able to own a Vantage, my affection for the exhaust note would destroy my mpg.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:27 PM

Loving this thread, and have a friend that drive the crap out of his AMs, he loves them.

I have no personal experience, the closes I have had was a Mercedes CL600 so a big coupe with a TT V12. They start at 493 hp and 590 tq, but get fun when you tune them to 625 HP and 745 TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
All good! And yes, you're correct - the life experiences of this community are amazing and really surprising at times. Have fun finding your Vantage! Are you going for a Coupe or Cab?

Texbike
I believe the Cabs can be had at a lower price point?

IJWS - Have you considered any other big coupes ?

Thx Karl
Old 11-16-2021, 06:04 PM

Karl, I haven't actually. The Vantage is probably the most GT car that I have been looking at. The Vantage is a surprisingly small big coupe though. It's as long as a Porsche 718, but 2.5" wider and about 1" lower...but 5-600lbs heavier unfortunately.

I am looking specifically for a manual coupe...ideally in silver. I am still on the fence between the 4.7L and 4.3L engines. Neither car is really going to be "fast" so I should probably just take the savings and go with the smaller engine.