Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2022, 10:16 PM

Contact Erik Rolf at Alliance Cycles if you want a custom builder of steel and Ti bikes. Check him out his bikes on this forum.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:29 AM

Do frame dynamic even matter once tyrea are over 30mm?

Im one weekend away from riding my first high quality steel racing bike. Its a Scapin made from Foco (not Ultrafoco) - for about 6 years my ride has been a Litespeed Teramo, which was an entry-level Ti frame rather than a high end one. If I perceive a dramatic different in ride quality I'll let you know. My other exprience has been schlepping on a 520 Kona daily commuter/tourer combo - with 30mm tyres. The flex from the tyres alone is so much that I find it had to believe frame dynamics even come into the equation past say 25mm.
The mythical qualities of steel come largely from the era of 21mm racing tubulars at high PSI. In the modern era with 25mm tubeless as pretty standard the damping from tyres alone is so much can you really make out frame nuances between steel & Ti?
Old 06-29-2022, 06:55 AM

I've give you my opinion on this once I clear it with a certain member to make sure it's not DISHONEST, LOL!!!!!!!

Yeah, I still can't give over that assertion.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:22 AM

I, too, had puzzled over this question -- does frame mateial have any say when tires are upwards of 30 mm. I did not think so. Hence, I bought a Trek Checkpoint and rode it with 40 mm tires. The ride was harsh. I then bought a Santa Cruz Stigmata and rode it with 40 mm tires and also with 650b X 47 mm tires. The rides were harsh and jarring. The ride on this bike, I found was stiffer than my Ti road bike that had 28 mm tires!!!

I knew what I had to do now. I bought a titanium gravel bike and now ride it with 40 mm and 650b X 47 mm tires. The ride between the Ti bikes and my other two carbon gravel bikes (Checkpoint and Stigmata) could not be more different. It is supremely comfortable and lively.

Yes, frame material DOES matter even on tire widths at gravel bike sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe77 View Post
Im one weekend away from riding my first high quality steel racing bike. Its a Scapin made from Foco (not Ultrafoco) - for about 6 years my ride has been a Litespeed Teramo, which was an entry-level Ti frame rather than a high end one. If I perceive a dramatic different in ride quality I'll let you know. My other exprience has been schlepping on a 520 Kona daily commuter/tourer combo - with 30mm tyres. The flex from the tyres alone is so much that I find it had to believe frame dynamics even come into the equation past say 25mm.
The mythical qualities of steel come largely from the era of 21mm racing tubulars at high PSI. In the modern era with 25mm tubeless as pretty standard the damping from tyres alone is so much can you really make out frame nuances between steel & Ti?
Old 06-29-2022, 09:30 AM

Could you give a little more info on the ti bike that is such a difference? Is it custom? butted tubes? What are the geo differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
I, too, had puzzled over this question -- does frame mateial have any say when tires are upwards of 30 mm. I did not think so. Hence, I bought a Trek Checkpoint and rode it with 40 mm tires. The ride was harsh. I then bought a Santa Cruz Stigmata and rode it with 40 mm tires and also with 650b X 47 mm tires. The rides were harsh and jarring. The ride on this bike, I found was stiffer than my Ti road bike that had 28 mm tires!!!

I knew what I had to do now. I bought a titanium gravel bike and now ride it with 40 mm and 650b X 47 mm tires. The ride between the Ti bikes and my other two carbon gravel bikes (Checkpoint and Stigmata) could not be more different. It is supremely comfortable and lively.

Yes, frame material DOES matter even on tire widths at gravel bike sizes.