Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas515 View Post
…A busy airport like NY, it wouldn’t raise any flags someone buying a ticket last minute.
Also she was in Newark which is like NY only worse. Much worse.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
You only get screened going through TSA. Easy to buy tickets under other names and go airport to airport as long as you never leave the secure area.
But 'going thru TSA', you do that with your picture ID and ticket...Fake ID?
Old 06-07-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas515 View Post
Yeah, you get through security with your real Id. Once in the terminal, just buy a separate ticket under a false name. No one would check it when scanning you in on the plane. A busy airport like NY, it wouldn’t raise any flags someone buying a ticket last minute.
If I'm following you, this would mean that flight manifests would contain a passenger for whom there would be no record of passing through security. Very easy to check something like this.

Let's back up. When you go through TSA your boarding pass is matched with an actual traveler person. If she is not using fake id, there is a record of her passing through security and being in terminal area. If she then purchases a ticket under fake name (not sure if that is even possible without some kind of id, but assuming you can) and now boards a flight, that fake person will turn up on some flight manifest, but there will be no record of that fake person having passed through security. Additionally, there will be no record of KA having boarded a flight. Very easy to check something like this.

Hard to see how to do this without false id or someone helping her; say, purchasing a boarding pass and handing it to her in the secure area. She would then need to use the same name to purchase other tickets in other airports; again, assuming you can do this without id
Old 06-07-2022, 07:14 AM

Where in the World is Kaitlin Armstrong?

Boarding passes aren’t a physical thing anymore. They send them to you on your phone. It can have any name on it. It doesn’t have to match an ID. She is already past TSA.

This is one of the many reasons people say the TSA is useless!

Last edited by Mike V; 06-07-2022 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:37 AM
aka RAEKWON

But even when you check in on the phone don’t you still have to go to the machine?

You most definitely do if you flying international
Old 06-07-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
But even when you check in on the phone don’t you still have to go to the machine?

You most definitely do if you flying international
Not domestic.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:49 AM

I have a questions. Since all this happened in Austin wouldn't it have been easier to drive to Mexico City and fly out from there?
Old 06-07-2022, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post
I have a questions. Since all this happened in Austin wouldn't it have been easier to drive to Mexico City and fly out from there?
We may never know. She had a few days to scramble and presumably put together a plan. If she gave everyone the slip, especially with air travel involved, my overwhelming guess is she has an accomplice in this
Old 06-07-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post
Not if you want to stay in the US.

She could of flown back to Austin!
Old 06-07-2022, 08:17 AM

im in Sayulita atm. Lots of yoga and crunchy types. Do you guys want me to ask around?
Seriously though, if she is in Mexico with a fake ID she is gone. It would be so easy to disappear and reinvent a new life here if one wanted.

Kaitlin, if you are reading this... oh, never mind.

to keep it cycling related, lots of gravel down here in Nayarit guys. Here for surfing but wouldn't mind bringing a bike next trip.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Not domestic.
Where are you flying that they don't check your ID at the TSA checkpoint? They definitely do at Dulles and National, even for domestic. IIRC, they scan the boarding pass, then scan the ID - presumably their computer matches the names on both. Either way, they're at least looking at a photo ID. Now, if the name isn't flagged, that won't matter (and I have no idea if Armstrong was flagged nationally).
Old 06-07-2022, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Where are you flying that they don't check your ID at the TSA checkpoint? They definitely do at Dulles and National, even for domestic. IIRC, they scan the boarding pass, then scan the ID - presumably their computer matches the names on both. Either way, they're at least looking at a photo ID. Now, if the name isn't flagged, that won't matter (and I have no idea if Armstrong was flagged nationally).
I just flew SFO>EWR last week. At the TSA (pre-check) podium the officer asked me to scan my phone boarding pass only. Same with the handful of passengers I could see ahead of me. There was no ID checking involved.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:37 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I just flew SFO>EWR last week. At the TSA (pre-check) podium the officer asked me to scan my phone boarding pass only. Same with the handful of passengers I could see ahead of me. There was no ID checking involved.
That must be new. I haven't flown anywhere for about 3 years but last time..it was ticket and picture ID at TSA checkpoint before taking off yer shoes, belt, etc...

If that's the norm now, KA is gone...and undoubtedly she had help(parents)..they do so at great risk to their freedom tho...but not sure I wouldn't do the same thing, in spite of the ****e-show KA has 'allegedly' created.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:39 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Where are you flying that they don't check your ID at the TSA checkpoint?
They do that when you first enter the TSA checkpoint for a flight. When you get to your destination, you can use your phone to buy a plane ticket with any carrier and use any fake name that you want. You would just wait in the terminal until it's time for that flight - you don't have to show ID since the terminal is all behind the TSA checkpoint. You could do that a few times to get to your final destination.

She could cut her hair real short in an airport bathroom, put a hat on, get a new shirt - boom - she's invisible.

Trust me that part works - I saw plenty of movies in the '80's about people on the run!
Old 06-07-2022, 08:53 AM

If you fly and travel a lot then you know how easy it is to get lost if you want to. It is easy.

International takes some thinking but it can be done. It’s just not as fast and convenient.
Closed Thread