Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-29-2020, 02:58 PM
pritchet74's Avatar
pritchet74 pritchet74 is offline
PegoNagos
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 3,007
Enigma Ego titanium hardtail MTB

Back in November I got an itch for a titanium hardtail 29er MTB. Wanting something "different" I have settled on an Enigma, a UK builder. I wanted something a bit different and that nobody else has and I doubt that there are many Enigmas out here in California (if any).

Huge thanks for forum folks Velocipede (for facilitating with the custom frame process) and to John H. (bike fit).

Geo chart here:


Pics of a similar frame here. Mine will be blue anodizing instead of purple with polished ti highlights instead of the gold anodizing. Matching blue ti anodized head badge and seatpost collar too.




Looking to build this as light as possible without feeling that I sacrificing durability. I descent good on the road bike, but the last time I descended on a MTB almost fast I went over the bars and separated my right shoulder, so I will be keeping my trails on the less technical side. I just want to enjoy being off the road.

Projected build list:
Fork: Fox 32 Float SC 29
Wheels: Carbon-ti hubs with FSE rims
HS and BB: Chris King (have)
Cranks: SRM Origin (have)
Brakes: Hope Race Evo X2 (have)
Pedals: XTR (have)
Drivetrain: Eagle X01 12-speed
Chain: XTR
Bottle Cages: Silca titanium
Handlebar: Extralite Hyperbar 3
Stem: Extralite Hyperstem 70mm
Dropper seatpost: KS Lev Integra
Saddle: Arione (have)

Originally I was slated for delivery for around early March, but the damn virus has really put a kink into things. Enigma is currently shut down with just about everything else in the UK. No worries though - I don't have the funds right now to buy everything anyways and the plan was always to have it together by Summer 2020 so there is still hope for that.

Once they start building the frame I should get some pics so I will post them as I get them.

If anyone has input on the build list please let me know. The stuff I already have is mentioned in the build list.
__________________
Peg Duende | Colnago C40, C50X, C59 TVEW, C60, EC, EP

Last edited by pritchet74; 02-15-2022 at 07:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2020, 03:03 PM
zambenini zambenini is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 681
Nice! I am waiting on a virus-delayed ti frame, myself. You won't have a problem going over the bars with that head angle. I quit going over the bars myself once I switched to 29er wheels, even on my last bike, which had steep xc angles. My new one will too. Anyway, hope it's on its ways soon.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-29-2020, 03:25 PM
dan_hudson dan_hudson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 313
Excited to see images of this built up when it arrives!

One thing missing from your list is tires... Maxxis are super-popular for good reason - they work over a range of conditions. They can be portly though and it sounds like you're trying to save weight.

There are also good options from WTB, Schwalbe, Conti, and now Goodyear. If you pay attention to the casing offerings, you can strike a good gram/performance balance. I've been liking the WTB Vigilante/Trail Boss combo recently. Assuming yours is also going to have the yoke, guessing some wider rubber is going to fit in there (supposed to br 2.6 on the drawing?).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-29-2020, 03:33 PM
nmrt nmrt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,278
oooooh! That is one sweet looking frame! 29 X 2.6 is exactly where it is at. If I were to design a frame for myself, the only thing in the frame I would change is make the frame a bit slacker (for where I ride). And I would use 4-pot brakes. I had the same Hope brakes on my HT 27.5+ bike and changed it to 4-pot Magura MT7. Gobs of power! I do realize though that you are going after weight with all those fancy Extralite parts. BTW, maybe you could do the ceramic DT Swiss 180 hubs (new version) compared to Carbon-Ti...? I like the reliability of the DT Swiss. Also, CK Headsets are heavy. Go for Extralite or Cane Creek AER II, if you can. Not critiquing your build at all but just what i would change for me.

Love, love, LOVE the yoke and the curved ST!

Lastly, can you tell me more about the frame because I will get one built too this year. I am looking at only one builder -- Bingham Built. But the Enigma is enticing.
1. Is the frame butted?
2. Idea on the weight?
3. Is it built in the UK or in the East? I know some Enigmas I built in the East. Although the finishing of your frame suggests built in the UK.
4. Price?

Oh, did I tell you this frame is my size?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-29-2020, 03:35 PM
pritchet74's Avatar
pritchet74 pritchet74 is offline
PegoNagos
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
Nice! I am waiting on a virus-delayed ti frame, myself. You won't have a problem going over the bars with that head angle. I quit going over the bars myself once I switched to 29er wheels, even on my last bike, which had steep xc angles. My new one will too. Anyway, hope it's on its ways soon.
Here was my last bike (saddle position for a friend of mine to ride it) - a mid-90's Merlin. OLD geometry!


Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
Excited to see images of this built up when it arrives!

One thing missing from your list is tires... Maxxis are super-popular for good reason - they work over a range of conditions. They can be portly though and it sounds like you're trying to save weight.

There are also good options from WTB, Schwalbe, Conti, and now Goodyear. If you pay attention to the casing offerings, you can strike a good gram/performance balance. I've been liking the WTB Vigilante/Trail Boss combo recently. Assuming yours is also going to have the yoke, guessing some wider rubber is going to fit in there (supposed to br 2.6 on the drawing?).
Yes, I wanted it ready for wide rubber in case I ever want to go that route, but I will probably run with ~2.3" tires. Tires are something that I have absolutely no idea about for MTB. Road? Yup - I know what to run. No clue for this though. Yes I want light, but not "I might flat" light. Traction is key too.

The Schwalbe Rocket Ron seem to be popular around here, but not sure if that's the way to go or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
oooooh! That is one sweet looking frame! 29 X 2.6 is exactly where it is at. If I were to design a frame for myself, the only thing in the frame I would change is make the frame a bit slacker (for where I ride). And I would use 4-pot brakes. I had the same Hope brakes on my HT 27.5+ bike and changed it to 4-pot Magura MT7. Gobs of power! I do realize though that you are going after weight with all those fancy Extralite parts. BTW, maybe you could do the ceramic DT Swiss 180 hubs (new version) compared to Carbon-Ti...? I like the reliability of the DT Swiss. Also, CK Headsets are heavy. Go for Extralite or Cane Creek AER II, if you can. Not critiquing your build at all but just what i would change for me.

Love, love, LOVE the yoke and the curved ST!

Lastly, can you tell me more about the frame because I will get one built too this year. I am looking at only one builder -- Bingham Built. But the Enigma is enticing.
1. Is the frame butted?
2. Idea on the weight?
3. Is it built in the UK or in the East? I know some Enigmas I built in the East. Although the finishing of your frame suggests built in the UK.
4. Price?

Oh, did I tell you this frame is my size?
I posted this for critiques! I will look into the other headset options. Same for hubs.

No idea about if the tubes are butted or what the weight will be. Maybe Velocipede can answer that when he sees this post. Built in the UK.
__________________
Peg Duende | Colnago C40, C50X, C59 TVEW, C60, EC, EP

Last edited by pritchet74; 04-04-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-29-2020, 03:38 PM
crownjewelwl's Avatar
crownjewelwl crownjewelwl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: live and direct from the 914
Posts: 2,347
You should consider the new Sid fork!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-29-2020, 03:42 PM
pritchet74's Avatar
pritchet74 pritchet74 is offline
PegoNagos
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by crownjewelwl View Post
You should consider the new Sid fork!
I looked into it. It seems to be only ~20 grams lighter. The guy at my shop said to stick with the Fox. BUT depending on how the blue anodizing looks on the frame I might consider it. I will be waiting to but the fork until the frame is done.
__________________
Peg Duende | Colnago C40, C50X, C59 TVEW, C60, EC, EP
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-29-2020, 03:45 PM
pritchet74's Avatar
pritchet74 pritchet74 is offline
PegoNagos
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 3,007
Can anyone tell me if there is a good reason to even consider XX1 shifting instead of X01? They appear to weight the same - the XX1 is just more expensive.

What am I missing?
__________________
Peg Duende | Colnago C40, C50X, C59 TVEW, C60, EC, EP
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-29-2020, 03:49 PM
nmrt nmrt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,278
From my calculations there were two reasons to go to XX1, price be damned (for some):

1. you save 30 g?
2. The gold bling (cassette and chain) on the XX1.

On your bike, I would definitely go XX1. :-)

Also, I am not sure where you ride. If the trails are gravel-like smooth and not rocky, then yes, go 2.3 in for the tires. But is the trails are rocky, I would suggest go 2.4 in. Rekon front and Ikon back for XC-ish trail types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is a good reason to even consider XX1 shifting instead of X01? They appear to weight the same - the XX1 is just more expensive.

What am I missing?

Last edited by nmrt; 03-29-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-29-2020, 03:56 PM
pritchet74's Avatar
pritchet74 pritchet74 is offline
PegoNagos
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
From my calculations there were two reasons to go to XX1, price be damned (for some):

1. you save 30 g?
2. The gold bling (cassette and chain) on the XX1.

On your bike, I would definitely go XX1. :-)

Also, I am not sure where you ride. If the trails are gravel-like smooth and not rocky, then yes, go 2.3 in for the tires. But is the trails are rocky, I would suggest go 2.4 in. Rekon front and Ikon back for XC-ish trail types.
30g isn't worth the cost. Also, I have a 10-50 X01 cassette that came with my Scott Scale already. I do love the rainbow XX1 cassette and chain though.....

BUT after reading the nice chain article that was on cyclingtips.com I think I will stick with an XTR chain. The SRAM chains wear the cassettes and I would rather replace chains instead of cassettes.
__________________
Peg Duende | Colnago C40, C50X, C59 TVEW, C60, EC, EP
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-29-2020, 09:52 PM
Velocipede's Avatar
Velocipede Velocipede is offline
Vendor
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
No idea about if the tubes are butted or what the weight will be. Maybe Velocipede can answer that when he sees this post. Built in the UK.
Yes, the tubing is butted. Single and double butted. Just depends on the tube.

Weight, great question. I can ask but everyone is on lockdown so I might not be able to get an answer anytime soon. They have at least 2 more weeks of lockdown in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if they extend it another week given Boris Johnson and Prince Charles both have it. I would bet a couple other members of Parliament will test positive in the next week.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:57 PM
nmrt nmrt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,278
Hi Velocipede,
The frame pictured looks absolutely amazing. I am looking for a 27.5+ long, low, slaaaack frame. And it looks like Enigma might fit the bill. I will wait for OPs impressions before I order the frame. But if you have any other pictures of other Ego frames/bikes, please post. It will give me an idea on how the people at Enigma build mtb bikes.
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Yes, the tubing is butted. Single and double butted. Just depends on the tube.

Weight, great question. I can ask but everyone is on lockdown so I might not be able to get an answer anytime soon. They have at least 2 more weeks of lockdown in the UK. I wouldn't be surprised if they extend it another week given Boris Johnson and Prince Charles both have it. I would bet a couple other members of Parliament will test positive in the next week.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-30-2020, 06:34 AM
crownjewelwl's Avatar
crownjewelwl crownjewelwl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: live and direct from the 914
Posts: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
I looked into it. It seems to be only ~20 grams lighter. The guy at my shop said to stick with the Fox. BUT depending on how the blue anodizing looks on the frame I might consider it. I will be waiting to but the fork until the frame is done.
Looks like over 100g lighter with 35mm stanchions!!

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...timate-review/
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-30-2020, 06:43 AM
madsciencenow's Avatar
madsciencenow madsciencenow is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: N. Chicago area.
Posts: 3,602
Looks like something cool and indeed, different is coming together here! GL with the build and I’m looking forward to seeing it come together as COVID permits.

I’m hoping that everyone can get back to work soon. Based on the the recent announcement in the US it looks like at least another four weeks of waiting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Kirk JKS & MRB, SL6, and Alliance G-road.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-30-2020, 06:55 AM
paengn paengn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Philippines
Posts: 179
Very nice! Congrats and enjoy!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.