Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2022, 08:44 PM

OT: RIP Woody Williams, hero at Iwo Jima

https://www.defense.gov/News/Feature...shel-williams/

Quote:
Marines were dropping like flies during the battle. Williams had initially been one of several demolition sergeants, but by Feb. 23, 1945, he was the only one left. So, he bravely volunteered to go forward as the last flamethrower to try to quell the devastating machine-gun fire from the pillboxes.

In four hours, with only four riflemen to protect him, Williams managed to wipe out seven pillboxes. He repeatedly prepared explosives in a safe area, struggled back to where the enemy was, and then set the charges off.

One time, he jumped onto one of the pillboxes from the side, shoved the nozzle of his 70-pound flamethrower into an air vent pipe and fired, killing everyone inside. Another time, he charged bayonet-wielding enemies and killed them with one burst of flame.

"That made a hole big enough that [the company] could go through and get behind any other pillboxes that were in that area," Williams said. "Once you got behind the pillboxes, then we had the advantage."
Here's a good interview with him: https://www.historynet.com/woody-wil...hell-and-back/.

Quote:
What does it take to endure combat?

Trying to explain combat is like trying to explain what it is like having a baby. If you’ve never been through it, it’s hard to understand. Even though I can explain combat, I’m not really sure someone who has never been through it could really understand the fear and anxiety and doubts you have.

I would never allow myself to think—even for a second—that I wasn’t going to make it. I would think, I’m going to get through this. I am going to get back home to my girl. I think that gave me courage I would not have had otherwise. I remember hearing about individuals who would say, “I’m never going to get off this island.” You don’t take the precautions you should if you think you’re not going to make it...
Old 06-29-2022, 09:41 PM

Amazing story, amazing man.

This page has a little more background on his early life which was pretty tough. And the Citation is at the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hershel_W._Williams