Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2022, 10:38 AM

Purchased a "modern" wheelset, unsure if I can make them work with my bike.

So I got a great deal on a carbon wheelset last night.

DT240 fifteen hubs
Specs:
12x100 Thru Axle
12x142 Thru Axle rear
Centerlock disk
XDR

It was one of those unplanned purchases with the intent on buying whatever I need to convert them and install onto my cielo cross racer.

After some searching - it looks like there are some adapter kits available to convert from thru axle to QR (Front and rear) and also make the rear hub work with my 135mm spacing (if folks know this won't work, please let me know).

I then started looking into a XDR cassette and it seems like XDR gear ranges are really wide (42T and up). I have DI2 (2x11) with a 6820 rear long cage derailleur. Is there a way to get a XDR cassette that will work with this hub and RD combination? Ideally I can go 34T, but that doesn't seem to exist in the XD, XDR interface.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 06-28-2022, 10:42 AM
Meh

Unfortunately XDR is a 12 speed standard, so far as I know - I'm unaware of an 11 speed narrow range cassette that work with that driver. I think you may need to convert your hub to a Hyperglide driver to use an 11 speed cassette. Fortunately, I know this is something that is possible with DT hubs.

I can't help you on the QR conversion question - I think this is completely dependent on the hubs you are using, though I know that DT hubs tend to be very conversion-friendly. 142mm spacing is indeed the TA equivalent of 135mm spacing, so if the hubs support conversion, it should be possible.

Last edited by EB; 06-28-2022 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:46 AM

XDr cassettes are available in 10-28, 10-33, 10-36 but they're 12 Speed and you're running 11 speed Di2. I'd just get the correct freehub body to convert to Shimano.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:46 AM

DT Swiss makes end caps and freehubs in just about every combination. You can definitely get QR end caps for your bike.

You'll probably also want to get a Shimano freehub. 11 speed XD was mountain only from sram, which is why you only see large cassettes. Sram introduced XDR for road with 12 speed, so you can get tighter ranges with 12 speed. With a wolf tooth roadlink, you could probably get your derailleur to work with an 10-42 XD cassette, but that might not be the range you want. It'll be easier to just get the Shimano freehub.

But with all that said, once you've bought all the endcaps and freehubs, these wheels might not be such a great deal anymore. You might want to price everything out and consider returning the wheels if it will cost too much to make the conversion.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
DT Swiss makes end caps and freehubs in just about every combination. You can definitely get QR end caps for your bike.

You'll probably also want to get a Shimano freehub. 11 speed XD was mountain only from sram, which is why you only see large cassettes. Sram introduced XDR for road with 12 speed, so you can get tighter ranges with 12 speed. With a wolf tooth roadlink, you could probably get your derailleur to work with an 10-42 XD cassette, but that might not be the range you want. It'll be easier to just get the Shimano freehub.

But with all that said, once you've bought all the endcaps and freehubs, these wheels might not be such a great deal anymore. You might want to price everything out and consider returning the wheels if it will cost too much to make the conversion.
XDR is just extended XD, use a 1.8mm spacer and it’ll work with any 11s XD cassette but this cassettes really only are 42t large cog min to account for them needing to cantilever over spokes.

Or just get a shimano freehub body with endcap which are widely available for the 240 CL hub. I honestly might have three extra of these floating around.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:12 PM

I just went through something similar last week, regarding gearing for my girlfriends Bob Jackson, to coincide with Dura Ace 11 speed shifters and GRX rear derailleur. I ended up with a SRAM XG-1175 cassette, that suitable for an XD freehub. They also make an XG-1150 (cheaper version) and XG-1195 (expensive version). See below for XG-1195....

https://www.treefortbikes.com/SRAM-X...Speed-Cassette
Old 06-28-2022, 08:49 PM

Thanks all. I am going to go the Shimano free hub route and convert from 142 to135(that was I can use my existing cassette).

Guessing I should get some centerlocl rotors instead of getting some 6 bolt adapters?
Old 06-29-2022, 01:44 AM

Be careful of FHB compatibility

DT have switched to a new single sided star ratchet in their new generation of EXP hubs. I don't think these FH bodies are interchangeable. The end-caps are also FHB specific so don't get caught out buying the FHB alone.
If you're doing 11 speed watch out for the 10-speed vs 11-speed difference - the 10 speed HyperGlide is actually 11 speed MTB HG body. The 10 speed may be a good choice since they are quite cheap to pick up while still suitable for your setup.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:51 AM

Timely question. I just bought a 6bolt 35mm qr rear hub here yesterday and want to convert it to 142mm.

Apparently it’s never been used. If 6b and CL use the same end caps, I am open to trading them and will solve half of your equation!

Let me know,

Darren
Old 06-29-2022, 09:08 AM

3T overdrive cassette is 11s XD (and thus xdr with a spacer) compatible, and I think e13 has some with similar ranges (they manufacture the overdrive cassette)

That being said, you’re probably better off sorting out an HG driver
Old 06-29-2022, 02:26 PM

Where did. you get it, I am looking for a set similar?
Old 06-29-2022, 04:39 PM

Until this thread, I didn't realize (or research) that XD matches XDR with a regular cassette spacer. This is good information to know.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:11 AM

I attempted to dissemble to XDR freehub today in anticipation of new parts coming in.

I can't seem to figure out a good way of pulling this end cap off. From what I have read online that is the first part that comes out and then the XDR FHB just slides off right?

I tried vice grips and pulled in the direction of the arrow. Is there something I am missing? A bolt I need to unscrew first?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_1.jpg (82.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 07-01-2022, 10:16 AM

If you have a cassette, put that one and use that for something to grip on while you pull off the driver body and end cap.

Or, some rubber coated gloves and grip the driver body by hand. It'll be on there pretty tight (the end cap) but will come off with a sudden release.