Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2019, 05:17 PM

Okay so Flobikes is sounding pretty good. I go to their website and look at the schedule and did not see the Giro. The Giro logo appears in their heading but not on the schedule.

Any subscribers have this figured out?
Old 05-03-2019, 05:23 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
Okay so Flobikes is sounding pretty good. I go to their website and look at the schedule and did not see the Giro. The Giro logo appears in their heading but not on the schedule.

Any subscribers have this figured out?
Took a look / search and it appears they will have it.
https://www.flobikes.com/events/6251...talia/schedule
Old 05-03-2019, 05:39 PM

Super, thanks. I appreciate it. (Who knew cable cutting could be so difficult?)
Old 05-03-2019, 05:52 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Lovely people all, terrible television commentators. And it's just a tad of hyperbole. Which they could use more of if they'd listened to Carlton Kirby ever, and probably be better at the commentating thing.
Phil reminds me of Willie Mays playing center field for the Mets. Brings back great memories but can't play no more.

Eurosport has commentators who are at the top of their game: Kirby is the lead, and he really is an amazing welcoming and friendly man. Rob Hatch and Declan Quigley are as knowledgeable as anyone.

Well worth my money.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
I would not advocate for the copyright infringers.

But I have a hard time wanting to pay double to Flo, if $150/yr is cycling only. VPN is ~$35-40, and ES Player is $55/yr.

Just a heads up that they may close this loophole

A few years back, i could pay using the Irish site and then log into any of the other ES servers, depending on the VPN i use. They shut down the back door to Sweden, France, and Germany, but kept it for the UK. Then they shut down access to the UK site as well
Doh!! They’re really closing all the avenues. I think I recall Eurosport being bought by another company 3 years ago when they started geo-blocking (I may be mis-remembering). Perhaps that other company had better tech guys.

I always wondered why they started cracking down. It’s not like we were pirating it. People I know were legitly paying for the service (had some friends into their soccer coverage). I don’t mean to detour us down this bunny hole.

@kramnnin I use to purchase it through Spain because I paid in Euros while the UK was in Pounds. Since the conversion was always higher for the Pound, the UK accounts were a little more money ($2-3 more if I recall). I would use UK servers (NordVPN and UnLimited VPN) though and see the UK feeds. I could only understand every third or fourth word from Sean Kelly, but it was nice to have that extensive coverage for ~$8/month (2016-2017 pricing).

Guess those days are a sweet memory now.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:14 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
If you are not interested in the whole TV package and just want the cycling, you should check out Flobikes.com
I think it's the same coverage as Fubo but you can pay just for cycling, it's $150 for the year and gives you more courage then you will know what to do with
https://www.flobikes.com/events/6293...lendar/entries
I looked at doing that but I am interested in watching women's races and Flobikes doesn't have as much coverage as Fubo.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenines View Post

@kramnnin I use to purchase it through Spain because I paid in Euros while the UK was in Pounds. Since the conversion was always higher for the Pound, the UK accounts were a little more money ($2-3 more if I recall). I would use UK servers (NordVPN and UnLimited VPN) though and see the UK feeds. I could only understand every third or fourth word from Sean Kelly, but it was nice to have that extensive coverage for ~$8/month (2016-2017 pricing).

You can still subscribe, just takes an extra few steps to get the UK paypal account.

I usually use a PC to watch, but also have an iPad running iOS10 that still works with the app. Android would probably be much easier to get around the GPS block?
Old 05-04-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
Paying for Flobikes gets you ALL of the FLOsports offerings. Add NBC Sports Gold and you'll have nearly all covered. Catch some free ITV4 streaming via FB and GCN sports streaming for the smaller races. Used a VPN and EuroSport sub for a season but the Flobike/SportsGold combo is easy and comprehensive.
+1 FloSports has expanded its coverage this year. Covers all of Giro and most all classics with archived coverage. Offers an app for smartTV. I used to pirate but now i'll on FloSports as I want to support the service. I wish Flo could take the TDF and PR away from NBC.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:33 AM

Romandie in a few mins... EF is doing great, wonder if woods will be able to snatch the race today.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:46 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
You can still subscribe, just takes an extra few steps to get the UK paypal account.

I usually use a PC to watch, but also have an iPad running iOS10 that still works with the app. Android would probably be much easier to get around the GPS block?
Getting the app for my iPad was a bit tricky, having to go through the UK iTunes site and using the GCN corporate address as my home. But it worked.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:57 AM

And tiz died just at the bottom of the climb
Old 05-04-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Phil reminds me of Willie Mays playing center field for the Mets. Brings back great memories but can't play no more.

Eurosport has commentators who are at the top of their game: Kirby is the lead, and he really is an amazing welcoming and friendly man. Rob Hatch and Declan Quigley are as knowledgeable as anyone.

Well worth my money.
He may be a wonderful person, but he's a dreadful commentator. Few insight, lots of yelling and bloviating, with a dose of British jingoism.

Matt Stephens, Maggie Backstedt, Hatch, and Quigley are all better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Getting the app for my iPad was a bit tricky, having to go through the UK iTunes site and using the GCN corporate address as my home. But it worked.
most people don't have that luxury

hell, i'd pay the BBC licensing fee if I were able to find a physical UK address to use...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post

it was quite easy four years ago. But my device was really slow, and the video just stuttered, so I stopped using the app

I got another hand-me-down tablet last year and tried to make it work, to no avail

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublenines View Post
Doh!! They’re really closing all the avenues. I think I recall Eurosport being bought by another company 3 years ago when they started geo-blocking (I may be mis-remembering). Perhaps that other company had better tech guys.

I always wondered why they started cracking down. It’s not like we were pirating it. People I know were legitly paying for the service (had some friends into their soccer coverage). I don’t mean to detour us down this bunny hole.

that's why I used the Irish site, as the monthly price was the same, whether denominated in GBP or Euros
Old 05-04-2019, 10:44 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
most people don't have that luxury.
I don't work for GCN. I just used its physical address!
Old 05-04-2019, 05:09 PM

Sorry if this has been thread drift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
...the Flobike/SportsGold combo is easy and comprehensive...
This is where I have ended up. Covers enough cycling at a reasonable price. I have been through dish / cable and the heartbreak of obscure channels coming and going with cycling coverage on the fringes.

Thank you for the various suggestions.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:24 PM
50 bpm

Discovery owns Eurosport. It should make it available to U.S. cable and satellite companies!