Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 08-06-2018, 06:16 PM

Keene Cycling Sandals

Had same problem until I started these when hot.

Last edited by rpettet; 08-06-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:42 PM

Funny thing

I haven't been here much lately and decided to pop in today because I now have the same problem and saw this thread! I am going to see my fitter on Friday and then back to the foot doctor after if necessary!
Old 08-13-2018, 07:03 PM

I saw my podiatrist and was diagnosed with a mild case of Metatarsalgia, and a moderate case of Morton's Neuroma.

The good news is that I caught it early and with some diligence my body should be able to heal itself while I continue to train/ride.

I have the good fortune of living in Portland, OR, and was seen in the office of Ray McClanahan (google him, he's also contributed to the Slow Twitch Forum..) who believes in a conservative approach and restoring your foot's natural position.

While many of us have the same symptoms (numb/hot feet), the root causes may be very different, so while I can share what has so far worked for me, it may or may not be right for you. YMMV.

I am now using his Correct Toes and a metatarsal pad in a zero drop shoe with a very wide toe box (Altra) during the day. I'm in the process of finding a similar shoe for cycling (Bont, Lake, etc). In the meantime, I'm using a silicon toe spacer between my 3rd and 4th toes, to spread the metatarsals and alleviate pressure where the neuroma is in my old Shimano cycling shoes, which will be for sale shortly. So far, after 10 days of riding? No numb feet! None! I've done multiple 2-5 hour rides and my feet have felt normal. I'm cautiously optimistic. Previously my feet would have been completely numb in the first 10 minutes. There are some stretching/strengthening exercise I'm working on too, but that's basically it. Stop cramming my feet into shoes with a narrow/tapering toe box around the clock. Total cost so far $175.

I'll continue to report back with my progress. A lot of this information is available online for those with a pot of coffee and some time on their hands.