Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2024, 09:16 PM

Are there any crazy-good deals on E-MTBs right now?

My wife has expressed interest in a new full suspension Emtb so she can go on rides with me and explore the city paths further. And I like the FS idea because she's not already a mountain biker and the suspension woulda give her some extra comfort on the roots/rocks. I'm not talking about blue/black tech, just letting her explore some trails with me that she normally wouldn't go for.

Right now I'm looking at the Canyon Spectral:ON CF7 for $3800. But I've seen people mention "all the crazy Emtb deals this summer to clear stock". So like.... Where these deals at?
Old 08-18-2024, 09:30 PM
Meh

The deals were there, but they were typically discounting an $8000 bike to $6500 or something. Qaulity full suspension e-mtb are very pricey.

That Canyon is one of the better deals out there amongst the premium brands. You can also get a YT Decoy for $3500 which would be a good choice.

I will say for your wife’s use case, I think these bikes are kind of overkill. They are quite fun, but if you aren’t riding proper trails, all the tech and suspension is just high maintenance costs you are carrying, and the purpose of the suspension is to provide traction, not comfort as such. Unless you are riding those bikes the way they are meant to be ridden, all of their pluses turn to minuses. But I may be misunderstanding the kind of city paths that you’re thinking about.
Old 08-18-2024, 10:01 PM

Alone she'll ride the network of double-wide sidewalks from home, but she's got a Hardtail she likes for that.

Together we'll currently ride some of the gravel "trails" in black Forest like Sec16 or Pineries Open Space. If we're talking new bike, I like the idea of FS to move past the gravel trails to some more MTB specific type trails
Old 08-18-2024, 10:32 PM
n - 1

Shops around me rent e-bikes. I’d rent a few to see how she likes it. Usually, the shops will apply the rental fee towards a purchase.
Old 08-19-2024, 07:33 AM

Another option is a hardtail w/big tires and suspension post/stem.
Old 08-19-2024, 07:45 AM

For a general purpose e bike my buddy bought a Lectric for $1200. it was on sale with and extra battery, has a presence in Arizona, nice quality, and climbs hills well
Old 08-19-2024, 07:47 AM

I'm not oppressed to trying a few in person, but I really created this post to see if anyone here (in the most well connected cycling forum in existence) had seen any of the great discounts and where. We're still in the budget evaluation of all this.

She's ridden a Spec Turbo Levo before and liked it, so she knows generally what she's in for.
Old 08-19-2024, 08:29 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
I'm not oppressed to trying a few in person, but I really created this post to see if anyone here (in the most well connected cycling forum in existence) had seen any of the great discounts and where. We're still in the budget evaluation of all this.

She's ridden a Spec Turbo Levo before and liked it, so she knows generally what she's in for.
If I were buying one now, I’d probably get the Turbo Levo Carbon. At the local shops, they’re on sale for $5k. Then, I’d get the Transmission kit for $800 or so.

This model:
https://cripplecreekbc.com/products/...vo-carbon-bike
Old 08-19-2024, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
Another option is a hardtail w/big tires and suspension post/stem.
These are great for that, and 28mph too https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...-2-remixte-smu
Old 08-19-2024, 08:23 PM
Vendor

Yes, I have a few. I’ll pm ya tomorrow.
Old 08-19-2024, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Yes, I have a few. I’ll pm ya tomorrow.
Was gonna tag ya!
Old 08-20-2024, 07:42 AM

Can't speak to deals, but be careful when reading the range estimates provided by the manufacturer. They tend to be VERY optimistic...

Buddy had a Fuel EXE and with two external batteries, he got less range than his current Rail with just the internal. The EXE left him stuck in analog mode a few times on longer rides (thankfully nothing in the backcountry).

And not a mountain bike, but my wife has a Specialized Turbo Vado SL (hybrid) that's pretty freaking sweet for the price. With the external battery, in "turbo" mode, she'll get 40-50 miles of punchy gravel roads with range to spare. In the least assist mode, she'd get somewhere between 60-100 (on an estimated 80, IIRC). We haven't had a chance to push it to dead yet.
Old 08-20-2024, 08:14 AM

Good time to buy a bike...
Old 08-20-2024, 08:42 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Good time to buy a bike...
Every day is such a day.
Old 08-20-2024, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Every day is such a day.