Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2024, 06:42 PM
Back At It!

Black Mountain Mod Zero Owners?

As I look at a replacement frameset for my Giant Revolt, I keep getting drawn to the Mod Zero.. I was a very early adopter of the Black Mountain bikes, so I love Mike's stuff..

My main question is how it would serve as an All Road bike? FWIW, I'm also looking at the Ibis Hakka MX as it is certainly more road than chunky gravel I think.. and based on the other current thread..

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2024, 08:55 AM
Back At It!

no one on here has a Mod Zero?
Old 02-15-2024, 09:50 AM
Meh

I don’t think he’s been selling them very long, so it wouldn’t surprise me if no one here has one. I suspect it’s similar to the Monster Cross Disc and Road Plus frames that it replaced, other than the bigger head tube, the flat mount brake mounts, and the gussets.

I had one of the Road Plus frames for awhile as a commuter which I passed along to Jambi. Good frame. They are not light - as you might expect for a production disc frame with a steel fork. But weight is basically something I never think about except when I pick up the bike and I never weighed mine. I would say they are somewhat stiff in the front end, as you’d expect for a production thru-axle steel fork. But not overly stiff, and these bikes are made for big fatty tires which most cancel that out anyway. There are lots of mounts for all the things in the Surly tradition, but it’s packaged and refined much more than a Surly.

Geometry-wise, the disc brake Black Mountain frames favor a more upright, relaxed riding position - check out his Instagram for examples. You don’t have to go as far with the spacers and riser stems as some of his customers, but stack is on the higher end for a given reach. The Road Plus was stable and a bit sluggish in the turns, despite the low-ish trail number. The Mod Zero geo looks a bit more like the MCD.

Personally I’d consider the mod zero a mixed bag feature wise - I don’t like flat mount and I was always happy that my Road Plus continued with the “obsolete” IS mounts. I get that most people are happy with FM, though. The nice thing with the Mod Zero is that you can run a large selection of carbon forks if you want, which will lighten up the bike and (potentially) reduce the front-end stiffness of the steel TA fork.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:02 AM
Back At It!

thanks EB, appreciate that review!

Mike has a bundle deal with a Whiskey carbon fork that is currently tempting me.. I did have a rim brake MonsterCross (gen 1) that was pretty good as well as a gen 1 Road.. just wasn't sure how the Mod Zero road since it is a combo of the Road+ and MCD.. what absolutely don't want is a bike that feels sluggish as I'm already slow enough!
Old 02-15-2024, 08:26 PM
litcrazy

I too have a Road Plus. I really like it, but have been running it with the Gravelking SK Plus 2.1s, stretched out to 55-56mm. I just switched to a 48mm tire in back to have more wiggle room as it was tight.
As such, it does what I want: it's a beautiful steel gravel bike that can handle big tires and some really rough gravel and even some single track.
I've done big gravel rides with 5 bottles and a half frame bag, and it didn't mind at all, so I also think I'd be happy using for bikepacking.
So I'm really happy with it as a gravel bike. However, that also means that as much as I love it, I'm not sure I'd be sold on it replacing my road bike if that's what you want from your allroad bike. But I haven't run it with fast 35-42mm slicks yet.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:43 PM

The mod zero is an MCD with 44mm headtube....making it compatible with modern tapered forks. The geo is identical. Sizing....identical. They're identical.
Old 02-16-2024, 12:03 PM

I have a MCD, it would be on the heavy side of an allroad bike for spirited rides.

Mine is set up purely in the monster cross realm with 650x2.1
Old 02-16-2024, 12:06 PM

Ive got a road+ with both a 650x48 wheelset and 700x32 wheelset. I like it but the fork is super heavy and incompatible with carbon offerings on the market, something the ModZero solves.

I did not find it fun to ride loaded with a bike camping setup, even a relatively light overnight setup. I think you really want an ultralight setup if you're packing. It also didn't do well with a large Rando bag. Does great with a frame bag.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:22 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
Ive got a road+ with both a 650x48 wheelset and 700x32 wheelset. I like it but the fork is super heavy and incompatible with carbon offerings on the market, something the ModZero solves.

I did not find it fun to ride loaded with a bike camping setup, even a relatively light overnight setup. I think you really want an ultralight setup if you're packing. It also didn't do well with a large Rando bag. Does great with a frame bag.
thanks all, as much as I would love to have another Black Mountain and support Mike, not sure the Mod Zero is where I want to go.. just not sure it will as "lively" as I'd want.. I had a Gen 1 Salsa Vaya back in the and loved everything about it except it just always felt a bit sluggish.. I'm a little afraid the Mod Zero would feel similar as it seems to be a very similar bike..
Old 02-17-2024, 01:32 AM

For all road I'd recommend the road+. It's an amazing lively ride.

If you're size 56 in black mountain cycles get in touch I've got one.

Black Mountain Cycles Road+ in the winter sun
by Jambi, on Flickr

Last edited by jambee; 02-17-2024 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
You're right, but there is a single carbon fork available that is not only compatible but happens to be an excellent fork. The Ritchey gravel fork fits and will not noticeably change the angles or BB height.

I use one on my custom with 73d HTA designed for 390 A-C fork with 66mm offset and it's been great; pretty "normal road bike" handling. Still fits 55-584 tires but I mostly use 35-622. Comes with 12mm or 15mm inserts and a very nice thru axle, but has no bosses. Also has an integrated crown so you might need at least a different lower cup and bearing. I just use a Ritchey headset.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:50 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambee View Post
For all road I'd recommend the road+. It's an amazing lively ride.

If you're size 56 in black mountain cycles get in touch I've got one.

Black Mountain Cycles Road+ in the winter sun
by Jambi, on Flickr
Jambi, that's my old bike, and you forgot to remind him that Mike's sizing numbers are by seat tube length. The 56 Road+ fits more like a 58 or even a 60.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:55 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
You're right, but there is a single carbon fork available that is not only compatible but happens to be an excellent fork. The Ritchey gravel fork fits and will not noticeably change the angles or BB height.
A great fork, I have one on my Outback. But if you fit it on a Road+ or an MCD, you end up with flat mount front/IS mount rear. Not the end of the world, but an extra quirk to be aware of.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
A great fork, I have one on my Outback. But if you fit it on a Road+ or an MCD, you end up with flat mount front/IS mount rear. Not the end of the world, but an extra quirk to be aware of.
Easiest to just use an adapter with the Ritchey fork so you could easy swap forks back if desired.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post

I use one on my custom with 73d HTA designed for 390 A-C fork with 66mm offset and it's been great; pretty "normal road bike" handling. Still fits 55-584 tires but I mostly use 35-622. Comes with 12mm or 15mm inserts and a very nice thru axle, but has no bosses. Also has an integrated crown so you might need at least a different lower cup and bearing. I just use a Ritchey headset.
I had an eBay alert for one of those setup for a while, maybe based on your suggestion a while back. However I thought I read the steerer tube wasn't long enough. I suppose it must be if you're using one!

Just so $$$$