Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 12:50 PM
Imshi Cycles

PSA - Casey Sussman aka Mars Cycles needs a hand...

This is just insane that sh*t like this is still happening in 2017...

https://fundrazr.com/b1HF7c?ref=sh_b...MPs7DyqSKXMMPs
While driving back from New York to California I was pulled over in Pennsylvania. My van was searched and 2 $10 bags of medically prescribed marijuana gummies were found. They had never seen anything packaged this way and because the thc content is measured in mg, I was charged with Felony manufacture or intent to sell. Aka trafficking. I spent 3 days in Jefferson county jail and I never want to go back. I am not a criminal. I am a hard working small business owner and dad.

I am currently out on $20k bail. I have incurred $5000 in lawyer fees and $5000 in bail bonds fees with fines to follow for the charges. If the charges are not lowered, I am facing 1-5 years in jail in PA. I will have to travel back to Jefferson county for a total of 3 court dates before finding out my verdict.

Again, this is over $20 worth of legally obtained gummies.

I hate to ask for help, but I need it.

Thank you.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:55 PM

Unfortunately weed is not yet legal in Pennsylvania.

Traveling with a schedule 1 drug through an area in which it isn't legal is a bad idea.

I feel bad for the guy but this is why you have to think things through.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:56 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
Unfortunately weed is not yet legal in Pennsylvania.

Traveling with a schedule 1 drug through an area in which it isn't legal is a bad idea.

I feel bad for the guy but this is why you have to think things through.
yea, im sure it did not even occur to him.

the bigger issue is that we are still (as a country) putting people in PRISON for having gummies in their possession...P R I S O N.

gimme a break.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:08 PM
Vendor

This kind of craziness is why I don't carry more than $200 in cash or any fire arms when I travel for work. It's bad enough they can take all the other things I would have- car, computer, bikes. And I could very well never see any of it again.

All they have to do is make a claim. Doesn't have to be legit. Just has to stick long enough to take everything. I know someone who had something happen and they took everything. He's still yet to get it back and it's been years. All because he was speeding(80 in a 65) thru Georgia.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:09 PM

That's sad. I have friends here in SF that regularly fly to other states and even other countries where marijuana is still very much illegal.

I have warned them several times that this is a terrible idea... but so far, they don't seem very concerned.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Administrator

agreed that the punishment does not fit the crime on this one, at least for the story presented publicly there. i'm willing to bet that there is more to the story than publicized there though.

i also don't honestly get why anyone who does't know this guy personally would chip in any money to get him out of a jam he got himself into.

now, if he really needs to raise some cash, he should be offering to pay any donations forward in the form of $$ of the price of a frame, since that is his business and all.

it's hardly a charitable donation giving some guy who was busted in his van with some illegal weed to get out of jail and get a lawyer.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:17 PM

if i understand correctly, part of the issue here is that he's being erroneously charged with felony intent to distribute... not just possession. aka, he's being jammed up by ignorant cops, and it's gonna cost him big time to bring things back down to the level of foreseeable consequences.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:24 PM
Imshi Cycles

also, just to be clear...he didnt have any WEED...he had a very small quantity of THC gummy worms.

probably should have just taken the label stickers off the bags before traveling...also not speeding through bumblef*ck PA...but hey, hindsight right?

hes a good dude, just didnt think this one through completely, and I think we've all made stupid mistakes before. this one is just being so monumentally blown out of proportion by ignorant police, i cant help but feel for him.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:29 PM

While I'm sympathetic to his plight (and because the antiquated system of bail is adding injury to injury) I have to look at this crowdfunding request like I do all the others.

This will be an issue slow to change, but the tide is turning and it'll likely pick up speed again in about 3 years.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:31 PM

Good thing he got caught, because the good, informed men and women of Law Enforcement just saved a hard-working business owner and dad from heroin addiction.

It's a gateway drug, you know.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Proud Grandpa

The marijuana laws are just plain dumb but why was he pulled over? And why search his van? Think there’s more to this, imho, of course.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:27 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
The marijuana laws are just plain dumb but why was he pulled over? And why search his van? Think there’s more to this, imho, of course.
he was likely pulled over for speeding, as most people will drive way too fast across PA...because there is nothing worth driving slowly for in the middle of PA...unfortunately, the cops know this and they are ready/waiting.

why search his van? cause hes a young guy with tattoos with cali plates (maybe) in the middle of nowhere...surely he's up to no good and the cops dont have anything better to do.

thats what i am ASSUMING...i could be wrong of course but im willing to give casey the benefit of the doubt on this one, having dealt with my fair share of country-cops and their speed traps/boredom/etc.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:06 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I know Casey and I run into him every couple of weeks at my team shop (he is a good buddy of the shop owners and they sell quite a few Mars out of it) and I can vouch for the fact that there is nothing else to the story. He was pulled over for speeding, and then harassed by the cops.

*EDIT*

In my personal experience, small town cops are looking for trouble and if they want to find it with you they will

Last edited by JimmyTango; 11-16-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:23 PM

Casey is a great dude, an excellent wrench, and a superb new framebuilder under the moniker Mars Cycles (named after his son). Check out his work - the paintwork and fillets are second to none.

This is a total BS case, and as pointed out above, the charges DO NOT fit the crime whatsoever. Yes, he shouldn't have had THC products in PA (even tho PA recognizes medical MJ and Casey has a CA license). Maybe they should have been in an unmarked bag, but there is ZERO evidence Casey had ANY intent to distribute them, which is a major felony. This is an attempt to threaten him with very serious charges to get him to plead out to a lesser charge to avoid jail. That is a massive abuse of our legal system, and essentially a shakedown. Casey doesn't deserve this and having to spend $20k in legal fees when the poor guy is trying to start a business if so unfair.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:31 PM
Classics Fan

I realize he didn't post this here, but I generally agree with Nick.

If you want to crowd-fund your legal fees due to getting busted with an illegal drug, probably best to do so within your circle of friends.

At the same time, I think it would be reasonable to tell your story and offer a special edition frame, or bike that people could buy to support his business if they disagree with the way the police treated him.