Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2015, 03:12 PM

Moots Routt / Psychlo-X RSL hybrid?

Thinking about an all-rounder Moots for mostly road but would love to use it for light dirt and occasional CX racing. I hear the new Routt is a bit too slack for actual CX racing? But the Psychlo-X RSL might be just too cx-specific? Cost aside, has anyone had any experience hybridizing the two, either customizing an RSL build with lower BB, or tightening up a Routt build and leveling the top tube a bit more? (I much prefer level TTs).

Also would love to hear from Routt owners how you are liking the newer geometry.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispy View Post
Thinking about an all-rounder Moots for mostly road but would love to use it for light dirt and occasional CX racing. I hear the new Routt is a bit too slack for actual CX racing? But the Psychlo-X RSL might be just too cx-specific? Cost aside, has anyone had any experience hybridizing the two, either customizing an RSL build with lower BB, or tightening up a Routt build and leveling the top tube a bit more? (I much prefer level TTs).

Also would love to hear from Routt owners how you are liking the newer geometry.

Thanks.
Get the Psychlo-X RSL. I've taken my PX on every major group ride in the LA area; 22-28mph average for 30 plus miles. It has the old geo (euro style high BB/same as current RSL) and it does feel a little too upright at the start of a ride. After a few miles, I forget I'm not on "road" bike.

Last edited by beeatnik; 01-04-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:20 PM

I'd be spun out on that front chainring sitting on wheels in my area. Nice bike though.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:45 PM

From a non-racing pov, I'm really liking the numbers on the standard Routt. The frontend on the 54 Routt is the same as a 53 Hakkalugi which has had similar negative comments. Very Colnago-like, so if you can wind a colnago through technical descents I'm thinking it shouldn't be a big issue.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:59 PM

Routt

I think the stays are too long on the Routt- sure it lets you run a really big tire, but at what cost.
I'd get a custom from Eriksen or Kish before I would buy a Routt.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:14 PM

Well, it looks to be a great all-rounder and if that means you go do some "racing" on it so be it. Are you hoping to podium or just have fun?

Looks like a great bike IMO
Old 01-04-2015, 06:18 PM

Routt

The Routt is very far from a racing bike.
That said, you can race on anything you have.
I still say that Eriksen or Kish could make a way better performing bike, it wouldn't cost more, and it will take the same amount of time to get.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I'd be spun out on that front chainring sitting on wheels in my area. Nice bike though.
ya, it's unexplantory to me as I'm more of a grinder. but the fat tires make 46-11 (120rpm) feel like 53-11 so 40mph sections were manageable.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:26 PM

flat?

You must live in a flat area. My experience is that you want low gears for a gravel bike. I just finished a long road/gravel mix ride an hour ago. I spent a lot of time in my 34 front ring/32 rear cog.
And I climb pretty well and only weigh 140 lb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Old 01-04-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
That said, you can race on anything you have.
Agreed (especially at my feeble level) Definitely no podiums, just for fun. However at at this price level, I'd want to be intentional with the geometry. If it weren't for the (to me) crazy-sloped top tube, I might have thought the Routt would be more than passable for the occasional cx foray. Also looked at Hampsten Strada Bianca but that looked pretty close to Routt. So yes the slippery slope could lead to Eriksen etc.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I think the stays are too long on the Routt- sure it lets you run a really big tire, but at what cost.
I'd get a custom from Eriksen or Kish before I would buy a Routt.
If you're going to get a new one, I'd get an Eriksen. He is the soul and founder of Moots, after all.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:09 PM

Eriksen

I would call it more obvious conclusion than slippery slope.
I bet a custom Eriksen is not more expensive than a Routt, and you would get it in the same time frame.
Make the slope just how you like it, heck zero slope if that is your Jam- shorten those chainstays to about 42.5- bike would be sweet!

Quote:
Agreed (especially at my feeble level) Definitely no podiums, just for fun. However at at this price level, I'd want to be intentional with the geometry. If it weren't for the (to me) crazy-sloped top tube, I might have thought the Routt would be more than passable for the occasional cx foray. Also looked at Hampsten Strada Bianca but that looked pretty close to Routt. So yes the slippery slope could lead to Eriksen etc.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I would call it more obvious conclusion than slippery slope.
I bet a custom Eriksen is not more expensive than a Routt, and you would get it in the same time frame.
Make the slope just how you like it, heck zero slope if that is your Jam- shorten those chainstays to about 42.5- bike would be sweet!
The regular Routt has 42.3 CS. The Routt 45 has the 45 cm CS. But both have 72 degree HT and 73.5 degree ST angle and a somewhat tall HT at 17cm, all for a 56cm frame.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Thanks.
Well, custom at Moots is custom, to include level top tubes or lower BBs.

Been done with other road and cross bikes while I sold 'em. Have your dealer talk to Jon or Corey.

yes, kent started Moots and then moved on. I guess there are some advantages to direct to the consumer, small builders like he is. Moots makes 1000+ frames per year, has more than a few nationally ranked guys on them..they know their stuff. Kish and other small builders do too, have a bit more flexibility since they are small but I would say stick with Moots, IMHO.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-05-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:54 AM

My Hampsten Strada Bianca was built by MOOTS and it sounds like you would love one like it. I guess MOOTS no longer builds Hampstens so you can't get a Hampsten with YBB (I like it a lot) but I'm sure Hampsten's current builder is very good. As Commander Spud says MOOTS can build a custom for you and it will be a fine bike but-----I'm not fond of the industrial-look matte finish. My Hamsten has a lovely paint job on its ti tubes and carbon fork. Does MOOTS offer any finish options?