Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 05:47 AM

Take a look at PerfPro for software and take some time reading through what it can and can't do. Then download a copy and try it for a week or 10 days, whatever the free trial is good for (the trail is a full version so you can try everything).
I never tried the interactive video stuff but it was great for building workouts and was pretty easy to run two trainers on. For transparency I never did try and run two computrainers on it at once (a Kickr snap and computrainer was what we used) but it worked great when my wife wanted to do the same workout.

It was significantly less clunky to use than the racemate products and has developer support.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:07 AM

One of our sponsor shops uses PerfPro with a dozen Kickrs in their ride studio. It's good for group riding but it's not Zwift.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:29 AM

I was a computrainer user for 15 yrs. I bought a Kickr this season for the simple reason that my new training space will be less permanent (spare br vs a mancave above a garage) and removing/installing a bike from a computrainer requires more setup time than a kickr.

Its probably an area of subjectivity, but the road feel of the kickr is imho better than the ct due to the larger flywheel.

The kickr has a subtle lag compared to the ct. Software developers I've talked to tell me this is the difference between Ant and hardwired. Its very subtle.

Kickr using the latest firmware is as accurate as the ct.

I'm a giant ergvideo fan. Works pretty seamlessly with both ct and Kickr.

For me, the would I change question would come down to whether you both have dedicated trainer bikes. The computer issue is a non issue-a good cheap computer is easily obtainable on ebay. I project video on a 100 in screen with a used projector that was under $150 and looks awesome. It sounds like you have all the cables and ftdi adaptors for the ct and have the interface issues pretty much under control. That's the hard part. With a dedicated trainer bike available the convenience factor is eliminated. The ct works fine with ergvideo, velorealtiy, zwift and just about everything out there. Its not future proof, but failure rates are very low, lots of 20 yr old units chugging away. Aside from getting the bike on/off and the slightly better flywheel, I don't see any reason to upgrade and spend close to 2k to do so unless you dislike non direct drive.

If you decide you do want to go kickr, the refurb first gen units on sale for under $600 at the moment are an awesome deal, but they won't last long. With the firmware update, the brake is as accurate as the latest unit.

I noticed you don't want an internet based app...Ergvideo is awesome stand alone (albeit it asks for an internet connection, its not needed) as is veloreality (not an erg based training program, but incredible video of great roads in Alps, Belgium, parts of western us etc)

Last edited by glepore; 11-17-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:41 AM

I spend all day on computers and deal with some pretty complex crap on those computers, but the last thing I want to deal with for some reason is set up my computrainer properly with a computer, cabling, software and monitor/projector. It's only been 8 years since I bought the thing.....why rush?

Anyone local interested in consulting fee of a lotta beer (or $) to help me with that?
Old 11-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Classics Fan

Question for the Kickr users. I recall from back in the day that it was not ideal to put a frame in one of the old trainers. It just put a lot of forces on the frame, I guess, as the rear hub was held stationary while the rest of the bike flexed.

Is that true of the Kickr as well? or are people using their good bikes on these things?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Question for the Kickr users. I recall from back in the day that it was not ideal to put a frame in one of the old trainers. It just put a lot of forces on the frame, I guess, as the rear hub was held stationary while the rest of the bike flexed.

Is that true of the Kickr as well? or are people using their good bikes on these things?
Consider the quick-release-squeezing mounts of most of the old trainers, the ones that would mar your QRs and slip and wobble. Think of a Vitus 979 in one of those. Think of the rigidity and strength of your current carbon wunderbike, firmly mounted by its rear stays in a fixed trainer.

While I don't have any actual DATA, just a glance makes me pretty comfortable that my bike is going to be pretty safe. I have several 10K+ bikes that have been used in my Kickrs. No problems, and I'm certainly not expecting any. If I worried about the stress of the trainer on ANY bike, I'd probably be afraid to ride the bike at all.

I admit, it's an anecdote, but I've seen little about modern frames that makes me think they're fragile whatsoever.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:17 PM

Computrainer

I use both TrainerRoad and Zwift with my Computrainer. Easy set-up and works great. But you need a decent PC to run with no problems. Interesting that ErgVideo, which was developed to run video content exclusively for Computrainer, will now run with any Ant or Bluetooth trainer.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
I spend all day on computers and deal with some pretty complex crap on those computers, but the last thing I want to deal with for some reason is set up my computrainer properly with a computer, cabling, software and monitor/projector. It's only been 8 years since I bought the thing.....why rush?

Anyone local interested in consulting fee of a lotta beer (or $) to help me with that?
CTs are truly plug and play. Plug the cable from the CT controller into the FTDI adapter, plug the adapter into a USB port on the PC, and go.

The downside of a CT (or any direct drive trainer for that matter) is putting your bike on and taking it off. I use a dedicated bike so it’s not an issue for me. I keep my CT powered on, so it remains calibrated all the time. Before I ride, I simply pump my tire to 100 lbs, and at the end of my ride, I deflate my tire a bit. I calibrate my CT maybe 1x or 2x per week after I’m done with my rides and everything is warmed up.

I have my CT bolted to a couple sheets of plywood with a controller stand built from copper tubing. The CT is rock-solid and can’t dance along the floor when I’m out of the saddle.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maddox View Post

I admit, it's an anecdote, but I've seen little about modern frames that makes me think they're fragile whatsoever.
I think you're probably right.

I recall that it was Dave Kirk on this forum that made a mention to not put nice frames into trainers. I may not have remembered it clearly (and if so, sorry Dave), and I can't seem to find it using search.

But, certainly based on the videos of fatigue and failure testing that I've seen, I can't imagine the forces in a trainer are anything that would cause problems.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:31 PM

Am I the only one on this forum still using my CT with the old Nintendo controller? Still works for me, but I am old and slow(er).
Old 11-20-2017, 05:18 PM

Talking You are not alone mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceFast View Post
Am I the only one on this forum still using my CT with the old Nintendo controller? Still works for me, but I am old and slow(er).
I got mine in 1995. The original load generator had to be replaced about 10 years ago and the replacement was more accurate. I saw a drop of about 50-60w so it was demoralizing but heck, what are you going to do?

I don't use it much now, maybe 3x per week for 25-30 minutes, just to keep some muscle memory. I generate only about 150w but I'm old and don't have motivation anymore, unless I'm doing the "Murph" body armor workout...it's much tougher than cycling.