Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Carbon (and aluminum) road forks have been tested to have more compliance than steel forks.

The problem with handlebars is that they hang out in space and we yank on them quite hard while having metal stuff clamped to them. For safety and to resist clamping forces, CF bars are likely over built.

I've seen more broken CF bars than aluminum working in a shop, and many of the bars where broken under the tape where you can't see or hear the damage.

CF bars are a little lighter, but this may (currently) be an less useful place to use carbon, like cranks.
Big hits still feel like big hits whatever you're riding. I'm talking about the (call it) feedback thru the bars and the fact that I could tell that there wasn't nearly as much vibration dampening on the steel fork. There was a noticable 'zing' that the carbon forks didn't have. IDK if it was the small vibrations from the road or what, but that fork felt different JRA

Thinking about it, I don't have any metal forks in the fleet. Everything's carbon these days so there's no direct comparison between ride quality.

M
Old 11-17-2017, 12:36 PM

As noted in previous posts, they can help slightly. It's more the road buzz than a lot of shock dampening. Where they shine the most is being able to form them in different shapes. This is helpful for comfort on the tops or for aero.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:44 PM

I have a good test ground. I had alloy bars on the zanc i recently sold. i switched to carbon. My driveway is 3/4 mile gravel. the carbon bars did in fact reduce vibration from the road with all else being the same.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:10 PM

IMO it depends, had both handlebars and being everything else even the handlebar tape the same and never noticed the difference in vibration