Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 04:04 AM

Service or replace: SR Crank CULT bearings

Hello everyone

Recently picked up a SR groupset from circa 2011, used. I don’t know the exact mileage but it was owned by one of the top cyclists on the island, who also works at the LBS, so I figured that while it would be thoroughly used, it would have been well-maintained and serviced.

After a proper cleaning, I noticed the CULT bearings on the cranks were quite gritty (see video clip attached). After searching the forum, I couldn’t find a definitive answer to my question, which is:

Do I replace these bearings (with regular steel ones), or can I clean and regrease these CULT bearings? For cults, I know I should be using an oil, any recommendations?

The guy doesn’t remember when last he greased or serviced these as he took them off his old bike a few years ago when he moved over to Di2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2020, 04:07 AM

Can’t seem to upload the actual video I took, only a photo. Will keep trying, but thanks for your help in advance!

Old 10-29-2020, 05:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Hello everyone

Recently picked up a SR groupset from circa 2011, used. I don’t know the exact mileage but it was owned by one of the top cyclists on the island, who also works at the LBS, so I figured that while it would be thoroughly used, it would have been well-maintained and serviced.

After a proper cleaning, I noticed the CULT bearings on the cranks were quite gritty (see video clip attached). After searching the forum, I couldn’t find a definitive answer to my question, which is:

Do I replace these bearings (with regular steel ones), or can I clean and regrease these CULT bearings? For cults, I know I should be using an oil, any recommendations?

The guy doesn’t remember when last he greased or serviced these as he took them off his old bike a few years ago when he moved over to Di2.]

You can try to flush these, let dry and lube but there’s a good chance the steel portions, the races, are pitted. If you can’t get them smooth, replace and I’d recommend US or Euro steel ones.

BTW, I still use grease, even on CULT/ceramic. Lube IS needed and grease provides and extra ‘barrier’ between these big bux bearings and crud that can get in there. Although the steel parts of CULT are hardened, they still aren’t as hard as ceramic. Gets some grit in there and the ceramic+grit will put the cups/cones/races.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:39 AM

Thanks OP! What grease would you suggest?

Old 10-29-2020, 05:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Thanks OP! What grease would you suggest?

Grease is oil in ‘soap’. Any grease. I use blue marine grease mixed half and half with white lithium. Mix these cuz it makes the dark blue marine grease lighter, easier to see if it’s dirty plus a little more waterproof..automotive/marine at my local hardware. 500g tubs. ‘Bicycle’ labeled grease more expensive but same stuff.
However, if I do it, I use some of my remaining Campag grease, as I use on all things Campag I work on...BBs, hubs, headsets.

I have the steel bearings, BTW. And if you DIY replacement, use the proper tools.
Old 10-29-2020, 06:16 AM

Thank you.

Was planning to get the LBS to replace as I don’t have the tools.

Just ordered the steel bearings but will try flushing and greasing the existing one to see if it’s salvageable.