Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2017, 07:14 AM

Anyone here use Di2 Satellite (Sprinter/climbing) shifter buttons?

If so, where are you putting them. I have mine toward the center just outside of the tape wrap, and they are pretty awkward to use. I was looking for some innovative ideas for placement.

Last edited by simplemind; 12-05-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:32 AM

If you are using them so that you can shift under load in a full tilt sprint, you need to place them so that your thumb can flick them while still gripping the bars tightly. That's going to vary based on your bars, hands, position on the bike, and sprinting style. I have them on both of my bikes, and place them just underneath the levers, slightly twisted forward so I don't hit them by mistake.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:45 AM

Climbing shifter

I used the 2 button climbing shifter. On the tops near stem, on back of bars.
I think Shimano could have done a better job with the ergonomics of this part- but all in all it works great. I use it a lot- I have it on all of my bikes.

I also bought a set of the newer style switches- They are 2 independent switches, exactly like the sprint shifters but with longer wires so you can position them anywhere you like.
I think for these- you should put them near where your thumbs end up when you ride the tops- Either that or forefingers.
Maybe even do a ride or two with no tape before you tape them.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:59 PM
IamEllis

When I first saw the sprint shifters my first thought was that these would be great to mount on the tops, just where the bar tape ends and you could flick them with your thumb. Unfortunately, the original ones came with wires that just weren't that long, so I mounted mine about midway under the tops, and then cut a hole in the tape to leave them exposed for use. They land right between my index and middle fingers on both sides, and while I will admit that I have accidentally hit them on rough roads once or twice, I've gotten so used to having them there that I don't want to ride a bike without them. I even setup my monstercross/touring bike with mechanical brakes because the 785 hydro levers didn't have extra ports for the sprint shifters.

I have a set of the new 9150 sprint shifters that I'll be installing on my next bike, and they have longer wires to accommodate a position closer to the stem, so I'll have to adapt to that position. I think I'll mount them on the lower back part of the bar so I'll end up hitting them with my thumbs and they'll be somewhat hidden.

I did have the two button climbers switch on my first Strada Fango, and it worked fine, but I just didn't find it nearly as intuitive as the two tiny sprint shifters mounted under the tops.

Admittedly, the original sprint shifters were meant to be mounted on the drops for use while barreling toward the finish line, but I just have a feeling most folks riding Di2 aren't sprinting out stage victories...

My two cents.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:42 PM

Any photos of your R9150 shifter installations?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I used the 2 button climbing shifter. On the tops near stem, on back of bars.
I think Shimano could have done a better job with the ergonomics of this part- but all in all it works great. I use it a lot- I have it on all of my bikes.

I also bought a set of the newer style switches- They are 2 independent switches, exactly like the sprint shifters but with longer wires so you can position them anywhere you like.
I think for these- you should put them near where your thumbs end up when you ride the tops- Either that or forefingers.
Maybe even do a ride or two with no tape before you tape them.
I repurposed these on my extensions for endurance racing on either bar just to go up and down on the rd. I have them underneath and shift with my fingers instead of thumbs.