Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
That is a great point. If he likes it that is all that matters.

Besides, there is only one tatoo I see worthy of praise:

Love Peter’s tattoo and this pic. I have shared a few of mine over the years, when I finish my left arm I’ll post it up...for the other in house Star Wars fans.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Love Peter’s tattoo and this pic. I have shared a few of mine over the years, when I finish my left arm I’ll post it up...for the other in house Star Wars fans.
Thanks again....peewee at Boulder Ink did a great job. He convinced me to make it that big...no shimano or s(p)ram tattoos thanks. Thanks again to Luis Viggio for that pic(owner of Dual Eyewear), very spur of the moment, not staged at all.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:37 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Thanks again....peewee at Boulder Ink did a great job. He convinced me to make it that big...no shimano or s(p)ram tattoos thanks. Thanks again to Luis Viggio for that pic(owner of Dual Eyewear), very spur of the moment, not staged at all.
I think the size is perfect. When I got my IF tattoo, Joe (worked at IF) at the time gave me crap for it not being bigger. Kind of glad now as Kylo Ren and Vader are the most prominent, but I still have my two big Sachs logo on both arms, so still all good.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I think the size is perfect. When I got my IF tattoo, Joe (worked at IF) at the time gave me crap for it not being bigger. Kind of glad now as Kylo Ren and Vader are the most prominent, but I still have my two big Sachs logo on both arms, so still all good.
So....are Kylo and Rey related? Sorry for the tangent..Rey and Luke?
Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
So, your skin is becoming sort of a combination of Nascar and fan fiction? Do you think any of that will still resonate with you in your senior years. Not trying to be a Richard, I am really curious. I often wonder about tatoos of current pop culture images and what they will mean in 20-30-40 years on aged skin.

Tim
Old 01-18-2018, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
So, your skin is becoming sort of a combination of Nascar and fan fiction? Do you think any of that will still resonate with you in your senior years. Not trying to be a Richard, I am really curious. I often wonder about tatoos of current pop culture images and what they will mean in 20-30-40 years on aged skin.

Tim
Not Dave but I have Pooh on my ankle..flying a kite, wearing a kilt(I'l Scottish heritage)..my grand kids love it..from this(I'm .67 of a century, BTW). Every one tells a story, and not many things more personal..kinda like picking a frame..what 'speaks' to you. BUT kinda like 1by on the road..I don't get that at all..but if ya like it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tao-of-pooh.jpg (19.8 KB, 286 views)
Old 01-18-2018, 09:25 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post

Tim
This is an absolute perfect question. Let me do my best to describe some of the things I have that you would see normally. Some you cannot unless I undress and no one here wants to delve into that.

1. I have two fraternity tattoos on my ankles. Those I would remove if I truly felt the need, but socks cover them and I don't think of them much. Neither are a big deal, just not done very well. If there was a simple way to remove them, I would consider it, but they don't bother me enough to truly care.

2. On my left wrist I have the celtic word Athair (means father) above a st john's symbol, which in early european cultures was hung over the doors of barns and homes to ward off evil spirits and encourage good fortune. The four arms of it represent my family. Me, wife, and two kids.

3. Bike tattoos. I have a small IF logo with an apple as the top center ball of the crown. I have told that dorky story if you look up my rapha cross bike. I would love it bigger, but whatever. I did it as I loved and still love IF. I fell in love with their early vibe and became good friends with a few of the employees, but especially Joe Ingram, plus Tyler (who obviously isn't there any more) is froM Indiana, so you know that is cool. Joe went through some difficult times with me or was there via phone calls and emails whenI was going through a tough time. I knew more about IF then I probably should have. I have also hosted Chris Rowe on his way to NAHBS with a place to crash. he is an awesome guy and was there from the beginning of IF. I have spent hours talking to and emailing so many of the employees from the old factory and the new one. They have always been very kind to me.

3A. I have two Richard Sachs logos on the back of each tricep. For those of you who roll your eyes at Richard only means you don't know him well. he has been beyond kind to me and given me great advice over the years along with old paraphernalia to hang up in my class room. he has been a very grand mentor to me and the way he writes resonates with what I go through in my job...philosophically. Both bike tattoos are my true appreciate for the friendships made with people I admire personally, not just because they build amazing bikes. For those of you with daughters, have them read Richard's wife (aka the Lovely Deb) as I have read some with mine and her words of strength for women and young women make that family even better.

4. Star Wars...ahhh the elephant in the room. I have been to every movie in the theatre, but do not remember the first one. My mom has been with me to each one in the theatre and that is something I am trying to establish with my own kids. I like the bad guys, SITH, Vader, Kylo, etc as they are interesting and having spent 20+ years reading children's literature to students, and my own kids I am tired of good always winning. There isn't another franchise that has lasted as long, been referenced more in other films and TV, or inspired (both good and bad) as many people as Star Wars.
I love the entire world of it. Yeah the last jedi didn't ring my bell, but the movie was still entertaining.

will I regret having all of that on my body some day...that is the million dollar question. I honestly don't know. They might, but to be honest I love the movies and watch them a lot...way more than I should.

Also when I die, I am donating my body to the Indiana University medical school to be a cadaver that meds students work on. That way I can still teach science when I am dead. Plus imagine the selfies those med students can get with a dead guy with a Star Wars sleeve.

I would love to get more work done. My Star Wars sleeve isn't finished as the cost and 4+ hours at time kind of wear on me.

I don't know if that explains anything well enough, but to paraphrase I grew up w/o many influences to guide me into being a proper conservative republican (yes that is tongue in cheek). I like the unusualness of who I am and the Star Wars ink has lead to some great conversations with my students as well as perfect strangers. I think tattoos tell a story, I like where my story is headed.

now, I will admit tattoos are not for everyone and I can hear eyes rolling through the screen. That is totally fine with me. I don't judge those who dislike them and am fascinated by those who get them.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
now, I will admit tattoos are not for everyone and I can hear eyes rolling through the screen. That is totally fine with me. I don't judge those who dislike them and am fascinated by those who get them.
Nice long writeup. I have relatively large number of tattoos and when asked similar questions my response is usually along these lines:

1) Of all the things I'll possibly regret at the end of my hopefully long life, I highly doubt that any of my tattoos will even register on the list. And that's if I've done it right and made the most of a life full of risk and adventure. The tattoos are all in the background. And some of mine are 20+ years old and I have no regrets yet.

2) Tattoos are a reflection of my past and my present, not my future. They mark major milestones or accomplishments. Or, sometimes, they're just something fun that I enjoy today. I can't change my past, so the tattoos that represent my journey won't need to change either.

3) It's my body and my decision, so anyone else's thoughts, judgment or criticism are irrelevant. The one exception is my wife since she has to look at them, but she knew what she was getting into when she married me.

4) If all else fails, that's what coverups are for.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:59 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonov View Post
Nice long writeup. I have relatively large number of tattoos and when asked similar questions my response is usually along these lines:

1) Of all the things I'll possibly regret at the end of my hopefully long life, I highly doubt that any of my tattoos will even register on the list. And that's if I've done it right and made the most of a life full of risk and adventure. The tattoos are all in the background. And some of mine are 20+ years old and I have no regrets yet.

2) Tattoos are a reflection of my past and my present, not my future. They mark major milestones or accomplishments. Or, sometimes, they're just something fun that I enjoy today. I can't change my past, so the tattoos that represent my journey won't need to change either.

3) It's my body and my decision, so anyone else's thoughts, judgment or criticism are irrelevant. The one exception is my wife since she has to look at them, but she knew what she was getting into when she married me.

4) If all else fails, that's what coverups are for.

I love these words. Way better than the dissertation I wrote.

My wife has begun to get them. She and I got the same one for our anniversary...some roman numerals. She has a few others that are pretty hidden, but she got a great and cute Star Wars ATAT outline on her ankle for me and she has had young and old folks comment on how neat it is.

She is also the last one you would think would get a tattoo and coming from her family...yikes.

Anyway, I really liked what you said.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Also when I die, I am donating my body to the Indiana University medical school to be a cadaver that meds students work on. That way I can still teach science when I am dead...
That is a cool sentiment.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Also when I die, I am donating my body to the Indiana University medical school to be a cadaver that meds students work on. That way I can still teach science when I am dead. Plus imagine the selfies those med students can get with a dead guy with a Star Wars sleeve.
You may want to make sure that's in pretty ironclad writing in something that's legally binding, because lots of folks that think they're donating their body to science end up somewhere far, far different:

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...on/usa-bodies/
Old 01-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Ex-Mr.President

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
You may want to make sure that's in pretty ironclad writing in something that's legally binding, because lots of folks that think they're donating their body to science end up somewhere far, far different:

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...on/usa-bodies/
Not to worry, my mother is doing the same thing and there is specific paperwork you need to fill out.

They pick you up and when they are done with you will cremate you for free. Then if your spouse or family members wants the ashes they will release them to that person, if not they can dispose of you.

My brother in law just died suddenly right before Xmas this year at 44 years old. Minus the tremendous loss we have been helping my wife’s sister cope and pay for stuff. She had to pay $1000 to have him cremated.

My parents absolutely screwed me over financially, so I am making sure I set things up so my wife and or kids never have to worry financially. I took out the maximum life insurance I was offered and if I go in an accidental death, it doubles.

Super off target, but this has been in the front of my mind very recently and you know, I love my wife and usually my kids.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:59 AM
Classics Fan

back on the tattoo thing, thought this was interesting.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/tattoos-...-system-404404
Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
back on the tattoo thing, thought this was interesting.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/tattoos-...-system-404404
FDA caution....

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm048919.htm

If someone wants to paint their house pink or graffiti up their fence, its a free country. Have at it.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:29 PM

Tattooing is about personalizing the body, making it a true home and fit temple for the spirit that dwells inside it.