Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2024, 01:31 PM

single bike rack that stores in trunk of a car recs

hey, y'all. looking for a 1.25 in hitch single bike tray style rack that can also store in the trunk of a car as/if needed.

1 option : 1up single

what else is out there?
Old 08-27-2024, 01:44 PM
n - 1

That’s what I use. I haven’t been able to find one that folds up any smaller.
Old 08-27-2024, 01:48 PM

Me2
Old 08-27-2024, 01:57 PM

thanks! do you leave the rack ON the vehicle for an extended amount of time? and if so, is it really annoying to walk around and not hit your knees or worse for family members to hit theirs? looks like it folds up close to the bumper but I realize it won't be flush.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:12 PM
n - 1

I don’t carry my bikes too often so it sits in the garage. But when I bring the bike on a family vacation, it folds up pretty tight to the car. It hasn’t been an issue. Last time, I just took it off and threw it in the trunk while there and put it back on for the trip home. It only takes a couple minutes.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:13 PM

That quick Rack the trays fold a lot easier than normal 1UPs. They ship them all folded AFAIK, when you get them in the mail they are folded in the box and you unfold them and normally would have to then fasten the hardware.

It is still a big item to leave in your trunk even with only one bike config.

If you are not worried about theft I don't see why you wouldn't leave it mounted. If you have a garage the wall rack is going to be faster than folding it, even with the quick rack.

I have an Equip-D 2+1 and I remove it/replace it off the hitch regularly, it takes < 5 minutes so I take it off anytime I know I'm not transporting bikes for more than a week. With the Quick rack only being 1 bike it's even easier since it's light.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin View Post
thanks! do you leave the rack ON the vehicle for an extended amount of time? and if so, is it really annoying to walk around and not hit your knees or worse for family members to hit theirs? looks like it folds up close to the bumper but I realize it won't be flush.
I leave my 1up on the car all the time, mostly with 1 tray - no issues banging into it, and my car is a wagon that we're always using the hatch for stuff. It tucks in awful close to the bumper with the rack bottomed out in the hitch.

The trays are bolted on so if it was a nuissance you could remove the rack from the hitch, loosen the bolts for the tray mounts and swing them in so it folds in a little tighter and that may fit in a trunk?
Old 08-27-2024, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlin View Post
The single rack equip d does not. It folds very near the bumper and doesn’t stick out. I remove mine though since it only takes a few minutes to install. If it didn’t interfere with my car sensors I’d probably leave the single rack setup on permanently but with more than one installed it is even more annoying with my sensors.
Old 08-27-2024, 03:00 PM

Like I said I have a 3-rack setup and it never bothers me leaving it on the car. Biggest worry for me would be getting pulled over by a LEO who is a stickler for obscuring my license plate. That has not happened.

My car has no backup sensors though. I can just barely see the handle on my rack out the back window. Zero real annoyance. It does make me more cautious backing up as well, especially with no sensors/camera.

I have never walked into it.

All those concerns would be minimized with the quick-rack.

For what you want you definitely won't go wrong with the Quick Rack it is a great choice.
Old 08-27-2024, 03:20 PM
Back At It!

NVM, missed the tray part..

Last edited by fourflys; 08-27-2024 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 03:30 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

I was gonna say 1up quick rack for sure and maybe the seersucker but the OP asked for tray style and I would pick the 1up 10 times out of 10 compared to the Sea sucker in terms of cost, build quality, and security.
Old 08-27-2024, 04:34 PM

I have the Kuat Transfer V2 rack. Mine is just for a single bike but you can add on so that it can carry 2 or 3 bikes. It fits a 1 1/4" receiver but it comes with the adaptor to fit a 2" also. It folds up when you're not hauling a bike, and when you are it can tilt away from the car so you can still open the rear hatch. It so easy to put on and take off that I tend not to leave it on the car too long but I've had it on for a couple weeks at a time and typically forget it's there. It doesn't stick out too far and it doesn't interfere with my backup camera or sensors, even when folded up. It's small enough that I can fit it in the back of my car (Mazda CX-30), which isn't exactly known for it's cargo space. I think the price is very comparable to the 1Up.
Old 08-27-2024, 04:42 PM

seasucker?

could you mount a seasucker on the vehicle you plan to drive on the trip?
it's my go-to for this scenario.
Old 08-27-2024, 07:01 PM

Another vote for the Seasucker, which has been my go-to for the past couple of years. For the limited number of times per year I actually travel with a bike, it works great. Secure for multi-hour trips and easy to check at a pit stop. No need to add a hitch or dedicated roof rack. Compact storage - I keep the the fork and wheel mount in an old reusable grocery bag, along with a spray bottle of water, a microfiber towel, a front brake block, crank strap, and a cable lock for when I realize I need to quickly run into the grocery store/gas station or some such thing. It goes on in <5 minutes and comes off in <1 minute. They typically run a sale during the TDF.
Old 08-27-2024, 07:46 PM

1Up quick rack unless you have a 2” receiver then order a 2” single rack.