Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 06:22 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
Two pear trees the squirrels loved...until the owls moved in. Still see the occasional squirrel, but they're not running amok like they used to. Maybe you can put up an owl box?
I like this idea very much. My friend in Santa Barbara got the owl rescue organization to assist in placing a rescue into his box but it didn't stick around. Will investigate further, though we do hear owls pretty regularly in the neighborhood, not sure what species.

Protection around the trunk of the tree won't work because they have aerial access from the neighbor's trees, which don't get trimmed often enough.

I'm not optimistic about a live squirrel trap because there are a crap ton of them in the neighborhood.

Thanks all

P.S. As David said, I have a big dog and she seems as bothered by them as we are but she can't fly so they're generally out of her reach.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:25 PM

Squirt gun.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:42 PM
n - 1

My folks were having issues with chipmunks around their property. Got a couple of cats. No problems since.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:22 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I would be careful of a couple of things even with Airsoft:

1. Neighbors getting upset and calling LEO

2. Local ordinances that might put you in a category of squirrel hunting and put you at odds with local Fish & Game Department / Animal Control.

Good luck,

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:31 PM

We use a squirt gun. It’s fun. It doesn’t stop them from coming back. My 3 and 5 year old have not grown tired of squirting the squirrels. And honestly I think that it’s funny to watch the yell and chase them with the squirt gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2020, 07:44 PM

A squirt gun would be the kindest option all round.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:53 PM

A couple of these might do the trick.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:55 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
A couple of these might do the trick.
No way - the squirrels would run circles around that little girl.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:57 PM

I have had the exact same problem - squirrels and chipmunks would eat every peach on my tree (before they were even ripe).
This year I sprayed "legup fox urine" around the base and on the trunk of the tree - So far very few peaches have been touched - there have been a few red squirrels but even the birds have stayed away.
So far so good - Peaches are turning red and growing - need about another 2 weeks and I will have maybe 2 bushels of peaches. Sounds crazy but it has worked so far - fingers crossed.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:17 PM

Shooting as an irritant won't work and will cause more problems than it solves. Shoot to kill, or don't shoot.

The owl box is a great option, but will take a while. I live in Santa Barbara and we hear barn owls on the regular. A family of barn owls puts down an astonishing number of rodents per year, like... thousands. I'm going to be trying this option in the fall ahead of the nesting season. You need to figure out what kinds of owls live in your area, and build a box for that species to attract a nesting pair. A friend did this here last year and it was pretty amazing to see the progress of 4 owl chicks.

In the short term I think a trap is going to be your best bet. Live or kill traps will work for squirrels. Check for any local restrictions on different species.

Last edited by chismog; 08-06-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:30 PM

Wouldn't "just wounding" an animal, and especially a wide-spread urban rodent, possibly cause them real suffering and even maybe transmittable disease? That does not sound very humane at all to me.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:35 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by voir dire View Post
Wouldn't "just wounding" an animal, and especially a wide-spread urban rodent, possibly cause them real suffering and even maybe transmittable disease? That does not sound very humane at all to me.
That's why you use a low-impact weapon. Ignoring the issue of hitting the squirrel in the eye, I'd never try to shoot a squirrel with anything that I wouldn't be willing to shoot myself with first, to try it out. In my case I didn't have to use an Airsoft, but if I had gone that route I would have tested it first.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:36 PM

You need one of these... just dont shoot your eye out.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:36 PM

OT: BB/pellet guns for discouraging rodentia

Is there any possible way to net the trees to prevent the vermin from getting the fruit? I just planted some fruit trees last year and there isn’t enough for them to poach yet, but I have heard of this working to keep birds away.

I do have a feeder with sunflower seeds and corn that the squirrels prefer. My son likes to watch them. Maybe giving them something else that is easier pickings can deter their fruit thievery?

BB guns just bounce off of squirrels and chipmunks alike, so unless you buy a 177 pellet gun it just won’t be very effective. Unfortunately the pellet gun will cause serious injury or death for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
No way - the squirrels would run circles around that little girl.
Don't let that cute smile fool ya.