Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 12:49 PM

I came from steel to Ti. I think the different in ride characteristics is quite noticeable. I paid for custom Ti over custom steel this time around because of it's long life and it seemed like the next logical step for me, however ride quality was absolutely a factor.

To me, it *is* smoother than any steel frames I've ridden, however, there are simply too many variables to say: 'yes, it's smoother because it's Ti'. I definitely feel fresher after riding for the same amount of time on my Ti bike as I did steel, despite having skinnier tyres. But the fit is better, I now have a Ti seatpost I'm using a different spoke count, different rims etc etc etc.

With that said, I absolutely feel that the fact it's Ti absolutely has something to do with it's ride quality. Also, the fact that I, along with Seven, specced how I wanted the bike to ride.

FWIW, Seven frames aren't as expensive as you're seeing. The photo below is fairly accurate, but I recently paid less than that through a dealer for my 'S level' Seven.

I am about to sell a steel all road frameset built by London's Talbot Frameworks (now called Isen Workshop) with Parlee disc gravel fork in a 54cm size. No idea what size you're looking for but perhaps something to consider.
Can send more info if you're interested. Takes a 40mm tyre front and rear. Looking for $1k net to me. Here's a photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annotation 2020-08-06 104354.jpg (28.9 KB, 257 views)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:52 PM

Having owned gravel bikes in every metal material I can say that titanium is a little less maintenance and mine survived a nasty crash at speed on pavement without a ding. I am pretty sure if the same happened on my steel or aluminum bikes they would have had at the very least a few scratches and dings.

Titanium is typically a little lighter than steel and you can definitely get a Lynskey for a very reasonable price. The lightest non carbon bike in this genre I owned was an aluminum Zanconato. I wouldn’t necessarily discount a well made aluminum bike either as you will be running fat rubber and they still feel pretty snappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2020, 01:04 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimajol View Post
Steel is a close second to titanium but cannot match titanium.

As a rider of steel contemplating a ti future, i want more perspectives on this.
In a Nut shell?

My Custom Strong All Road steel frame [a 60CM pretty much] is 4lb, steel fork 1.6lb with cut steerer. Not a weight brag, but rather to point out the dialed in tool for my task by a experienced builder for a frame with not an oz. of extra metal, nor to little for my weight/size/power. Helix disc frame is a touch heavier FWIW. Helix has a Enve fork ans is 1/2 lb lighter, and not nearly as lively feeling frankly.

This Strong bike with 28s in road mode VS any one of my several Ti bikes in the road feel dept., rides very very well. The difference I'd say in this high end custom steel vibration abating road buzz is just a case of a different frequency of the buzz that comes thru one VS the other.

Match Ti at what? New Ti folks, or initial Ti rider sometimes notice this difference in feel and perceive it as better. IMO it really is 'not' per se.

Again, Tire/wheels is going to be the deciding factor, correct geometry in the bag of course.

Helix Disk Pro Road with 30mm tubular @ 65 PSI rides as well as the Stong with Latex and 38mm open clincher Soma Supple Vitese tires with latex tubes at same pressures. A threshold passed one can assume. I prefer pushing the 30mm tubulars around on paved roads for 3-4 hours over the 38s hand down. When dong the go fast thing to clarify.

Last edited by robt57; 08-06-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrwn View Post

I am about to sell a steel all road frameset built by London's Talbot Frameworks (now called Isen Workshop) with Parlee disc gravel fork in a 54cm size. No idea what size you're looking for but perhaps something to consider.
Can send more info if you're interested. Takes a 40mm tyre front and rear. Looking for $1k net to me. Here's a photo.
Definitely interested. Can you send details?
Old 08-06-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr View Post
Definitely interested. Can you send details?
I can't as you're too new here so I cannot message you in any way, nor can you message me.

Feel free to email me on.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 08-06-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:36 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I was blown away that the weight difference between my Seven Axiom SL (carbon fork) was only about 1.25lbs from my Kirk (steel frame, steel fork, steel steerer)...when you add water, rider weight, etc...the difference is negligible at best...in my case it was less than 1%.
And you get a steel fork in the bargain.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for steel framesets worth considering in the $1-2k range that can fit ~40c tiress
I've been starting to think along similar lines for my next bike. Here are a few frame(set)s I've found:

Gunnar Hyper-X $1350 (http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/hyper-x/)
Ritchey Outback $1400 incl fork (https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/outback-frameset)
Soma Wolverine $630 (https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...olverine-typea)
Jamis Renegade Escapade $850 incl fork (if you can find one -- they seem to be recently discontinued)

I also have the Niner on my list but you've got that already.

Also, if you're still thinking Ti, Lynskey often has a 20% off code (like now: SUMMER20), so you could spec a GR300 w/external cabling complete build for $4-5k and it would end up between $3-4k. (https://lynskeyperformance.com/gr300...cable-routing/)
Old 08-07-2020, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabriggs View Post
I've been starting to think along similar lines for my next bike. Here are a few frame(set)s I've found:
I’m also in the same search. To add to the list:

Salsa Vaya $999 https://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya/2019_vaya_frameset

Rondo RUUT ST steel ~$1500
Rondo RUUT Ti ~$3000
http://rondo.cc/ruut,13,pl
Old 08-07-2020, 11:34 AM
'97 Ti Legend

If I were you, I'd look into used ti. $3,500 won't get you on a Moots Routt (unless you get lucky) but it will get you on almost anything else if it come up in your size used. The indestructibility of ti is fairly spot on, and even on disc frames (which are all the rage) it does not really retain resale all that well. Unless you ride a very strange shaped custom, I would put my money on someone else's ti frame, people here burn through nice bikes.

What size are you looking for?
Old 08-07-2020, 12:56 PM

Not all steel Or titanium bikes ride alike The Builder can Make as big a difference as material used .
Imho
Cheers
Old 08-07-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
If I were you, I'd look into used ti. $3,500 won't get you on a Moots Routt (unless you get lucky) but it will get you on almost anything else if it come up in your size used. The indestructibility of ti is fairly spot on, and even on disc frames (which are all the rage) it does not really retain resale all that well. Unless you ride a very strange shaped custom, I would put my money on someone else's ti frame, people here burn through nice bikes.

What size are you looking for?
Agree with that recommendation as that was my proof of concept approach - found a '95 Merlin frameset from the original owner at a fraction of the cost of new and built it up - two years later I have not found a reason to get rid of it even though I don't know what I'm missing...
Old 08-07-2020, 08:29 PM

i'd consider a Desalvo. Excellent craftsmanship and a builder's special in steel is $4500 for a full ultegra build that clears at least a 700x 40c
As posted by livesadventure

Last edited by SteveW; 08-07-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:12 AM

It's not the material that creates the ride, it's the builder and his design. For example, I've got an aluminum bike built by the guy who made the majority of bikes used in the Tour when aluminum was in fashion with the marketing folks. It rides as smoothly as any steel frame.
I chuckle when guys over 50 buy Ti road bikes over steel because "they'll last a lifetime". At this point, if your steel frame won't last "a lifetime", you're considering the wrong builder.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:35 AM

There are plenty of builders that can get you close to that budget. I would go with a steel combo like SS CS and DT and steel seat stays seat tube and TT.
The CS and DT are the two that take the most abuse off road.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
i'd consider a Desalvo. Excellent craftsmanship and a builder's special in steel is $4500 for a full ultegra build that clears at least a 700x 40c
As posted by livesadventure
What is a Desalvo "Builders Special"?

https://www.desalvocycles.com/buildquote

Tags
gravel bike