Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 10:08 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Real world fast = kinda fast in most conditions then or what?
Middle of the lineup fast. I'll stay with GP5000TL's and keep my 6-8 watts per wheel.

Edit:

Last edited by kppolich; 08-06-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:12 AM

They go in a market saturated with excellent tires at half the price.
I think it would have been better to maybe lean toward wider sizes and use all their r&d to prove that wider is better and faster in a more scientific way.
Not impressed at all.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgates66 View Post
...I don't imagine Enve's would have any advantage, other than cosmetic matching for their wheels, over dedicated tire companies like Vittoria, Continental, Pirelli, Michelin, Goodyear, Panaracer, Maxxis (soft spot for the old Equipe Legere) or any of the others that focus on tires. Wow! That was a long sentence!

I am quite interested in the Goodyear tires, just to try something different and when I wear out my current set of GP5000s I'll check them out - which, by the way, seem to be wearing quite well.
I've got ENVE wheels and have had a miserable time getting tubeless to work, so I'm still running tubed tires. One example is GP5000s, which I didn't realize until later, are listed on the ENVE site as being incompatible with ENVE tl wheels. So, ENVE tires may be my last gasp at making tubeless work, as I'm pretty sure their tires will work with their rims.

I was in a shop yesterday and had this conversation with a distributor rep about my failed experiences with TL. We drifted to the broader subject of "good tires" and he said the Goodyear Eagle F1s have become a favorite of his employees who can select from any tire. They report excellent grip, rolling resistance and even puncture resistance, he said. I'm also tempted to try them, but I see they don't offer TL yet.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
you think $75 is reasonably priced for a clincher tire?
Based on forum sponsor BikeTiresDirect, GP 5000 tubeless tires retail for $95 https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ad-tire?sg=500, Vittoria Corsa TLR $79 https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ad-tire?sg=500, Schwalbe Pro One TLE $81.

I know you can often find tires for cheaper (and maybe these will generally be available for less), but the MSRP of these Enve tires is right in line with its competitors.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:02 AM

I like the hue of the tan they chose.

They’ll sell at MSRP unlike other tires though, like any other enve product.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I've got ENVE wheels and have had a miserable time getting tubeless to work, so I'm still running tubed tires. One example is GP5000s, which I didn't realize until later, are listed on the ENVE site as being incompatible with ENVE tl wheels. So, ENVE tires may be my last gasp at making tubeless work, as I'm pretty sure their tires will work with their rims.

I was in a shop yesterday and had this conversation with a distributor rep about my failed experiences with TL. We drifted to the broader subject of "good tires" and he said the Goodyear Eagle F1s have become a favorite of his employees who can select from any tire. They report excellent grip, rolling resistance and even puncture resistance, he said. I'm also tempted to try them, but I see they don't offer TL yet.
I run plenty of my Enve Wheelset tubeless.. including the ARseries which is the most tire limited due to being "hookless"

Dont blame Enve for Conti 5000TL.. even the tire says dont use on hookless rims.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:

That's very good information - thank you. Few reliable reports out yet.

I have tubeless-ready wheels, but haven't run tubeless yet - while I don't run super-high pressure (80-ish usually on 28c), my roads aren't perfect and I still have (probably unwarranted) concerns about safety.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
Very lightweight and reasonably priced.

Isn't Enve owned by Mavic? Maybe Mavic made the tires.

I was already thinking about a set of the Foundation 45 wheels.
Oh, I hope not. I've ridden two sets of Mavic tires. The first rode like garbage, the second flatted twice in the first 100 miles, once because of a bubble that formed on the casing.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Oh, I hope not. I've ridden two sets of Mavic tires. The first rode like garbage, the second flatted twice in the first 100 miles, once because of a bubble that formed on the casing.
As nalax said on the last page, they are manufactured by Tufo.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
Isn't Enve owned by Mavic? Maybe Mavic made the tires.
Mavic no longer owns them. Seems that was a brief marriage. Story here

Last edited by mistermo; 08-06-2020 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
I run plenty of my Enve Wheelset tubeless.. including the ARseries which is the most tire limited due to being "hookless"

Dont blame Enve for Conti 5000TL.. even the tire says dont use on hookless rims.
Do you have any good recommendations for tubeless 28-30mm road tires for ENVE rims? Particularly the ARs?
Old 08-06-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Reads ike a J Peterman catalog.

Wonder who makes them..I'm guessing panaracer..
29c if measured true to size is a nice size for those who can’t squeeze a 30.

Now if enve releases an aero urban sombrero....
Old 08-06-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:

I was in a shop yesterday and had this conversation with a distributor rep about my failed experiences with TL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post

The problem with Enve is not a hooked vs hookless question. Various tires will fail when used with Enve rims. Enve blames the tire manufacturers. Conti and others like Vittoria and Challenge point out that Enve rims are not built to ETRTO standards. Enve carbon rims often have a sharp bead edge that cuts tire sidewalls leading to catastrophic tire failures. You can read more here or do a keyword search.

Some tire makers issued formal warnings last year not to use their tires with Enve rims.

Enve responded by persisting in its position that they DGAF about industry standards and manufacturing quality for its rims, and that tire manufacturers should design their tires to withstand Enve rims.

I wonder if Enve tires are built to withstand Enve rims?

Last edited by 9tubes; 08-06-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:42 PM

More choice on the market the merrier.
The logo in the tread is kind of cool...
Old 08-06-2020, 05:04 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Now if enve releases an aero urban sombrero....
potd for me, +1 @jtakeda
hoochie mama