Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
I look at it simply lime I could drive a seriously high end car and throw 3k or so a year at maintenance/ wear items or drive something mid range but new for the same payment or opportunity cost. It helps to have a couple, as the one downside is lack if loaners from indys.
That is pretty much my case. Thankfully the two Indys I use are close and we also have two cars.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:42 PM

Not a 7 series but I grabbed this 2016 CPO BMW 340XI M-Sport with only 10,000 miles last summer for a fraction of the MSRP. It's fully optioned with all the go fast stuff that put the sticker just a few grand under a M3. New this would have been a terrible buy but used for $34,000 was a steal. Especially with trading in a fully paid off MKVII GTI.

This is a beast with what has to be an underrated HP rating for the 2016 year. I swear it's every bit as fast as my C5 Z06 was. The 8 speed auto in these is amazing when you put everything into full sport mode, no way I could shift that fast manually.

I had a E46 330ci ZHP that was totally trouble free the 5 years I owned it. I expecting this to be pretty much the same.

Last edited by jamesdak; 08-06-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Not a 7 series but I grabbed this 2016 CPO BMW 340XI M-Sport with only 10,000 miles last summer for a fraction of the MSRP. .
That is sweet!!!!! And a 340xi M-Sport is really nice. We test drove a 540 and were set on that, but then did our budget and if we could find a 750xi we were game. We found one and are happy. It comes next week. The 750 is .2 seconds difference from a M5 @ 0 to 60.

BTW, your color is baller.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
And Estoril Blue, no less.

Spectacular.

I picked up a diesel F10 in December.
As I shopped, I very-much observed how comparable the prices were for similar mileage/vintage, whether within the BMW family or comparing to other lines (e.g. 3-series ≈ 5-series ≈ 7-series...despite the disparity in original price and all comparable to Subaru or Honda or...).

Not a lot of miles ~ especially given COVID ~ but I sure do enjoy the driving experience. And to have around 400 ft-lbs of torque in a 2 ton vehicle that gets 35 mpg is a winning combination for me.
My wife still says that it feels like she's driving a car more suitable for our parents (we're right around 50), but I think she's nuts. She prefers her Z4 and our no-longer owned e46 (or even further back e30).
Old 08-06-2020, 04:23 PM

Meh.

I just need something that will take a roof rack for a bike and a kayak. My 2006 Jetta diesel works fine for that.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCaraco View Post

I picked up a diesel F10 in December.

And to have around 400 ft-lbs of torque in a 2 ton vehicle that gets 35 mpg is a winning combination for me.
Drove a friend's 335d when he first got it a while back. Felt like a small block V8.

The 3liter TDi in our Q7 has a lot more weight to move; even so it's pretty quick...

Too bad diesels got such a bad rap... this may be the last generation we'll see in passenger cars...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-06-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Too bad diesels got such a bad rap... this may be the last generation we'll see in passenger cars...
I agree 100%.

I've got a number of friends that had the VWs.
With the way that played out, I don't know that it was possible to own a more economically prudent vehicle.

And for mine, I haven't had it long, but I LOVE the power and efficiency.

But as you suggest, I doubt viable alternatives will exist beyond the outgoing generation.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I agree 100%.

I've got a number of friends that had the VWs.
With the way that played out, I don't know that it was possible to own a more economically prudent vehicle.
We had a 2010 Touareg TDi. Bought it used, drove it for three years, sold it back to VW for 50% more than we had paid for it. That funded the purchase of the newer, nicer Q7 TDi.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-25-2020, 04:05 PM

The car posted in the OT has arrived. A 2016 BMW 750. My wife and I have taken ownership.

This car brand new back in April 2016 was $118,000. We picked up for $42k and it is insured to 100k miles or 5 years.

This car replaces a 2011 Range Rover Sport HSE with 100k miles. The payment is well within our budget and less than the Range Rover.

After 5 years we should have about $18k of equity. Like the car before it we will have equity. Of course no car payment is ideal, but cars, like bikes, are fun.

This 750 is best most luxurious car I have ever driven. By a long shot - 450 house power twin turbo V8. Point two seconds slower zero to 60 than the ever-compared-to M5. However, the luxury is on another level. Almost total autonomous driving with a back seat to be envied and luxuries such as seat massagers, M sport badging and auto parking.

Happy to keep the braintrust up to date, but given there are zero 750s available I think I did the right thing. (back in March I purchased a thousand rounds of 9mm and 556 - .22 ammo is more expensive now).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (149.0 KB, 264 views)
Old 08-25-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33 View Post

This 750 is best most luxurious car I have ever driven. By a long shot - 450 house power twin turbo V8. Point two seconds slower zero to 60 than the ever-compared-to M5. However, the luxury is on another level. Almost total autonomous driving with a back seat to be envied and luxuries such as seat massagers, M sport badging and auto parking.

pretty sweet if you ask me.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:42 AM

Pretty awesome

Your car is gorgeous, for sure. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

This thread made me think more about our timeline for replacing our Subaru. Did some tire-kicking while i had the dealer flush my brakes on my 5-series and looked at a variety of potential replacements.
The BMW store doesn't have any inventory that matches our interests, but we were surprised at how much we liked the small MB SUVs (GLA and GLC). They had a lease return that they just posted that I inquired about and the salesperson we worked with said that cars are being sold like crazy.

Do you think she's embellishing?
Is it the more modest luxury vehicles are NOT so aggressively priced?
Is it this dealer or the area?

I'd love to hear folks thoughts....including opinions on the GLA or GLC if folks know those vehicles.
Or the X3 ~ the BMW that would be of interest if they were equipped the way we'd like.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:59 AM

I don't have a GLA or GLC, but I do have a 2014 E350 with 70k miles. That engine was used till 2016 with those two models. I've had no issues whatsoever. It's an inline 6 with 330 HP and gets very good mileage despite being AWD (over 30 on highway). The SUVs will get less MPG, though.

Benz makes a very, very comfy car - more comfy than BMW for sure.

My mom has a X3 and when I go to see her and my dad - about every other month - I drive that car. Very nice car as well and great bike transporter.

One other to consider, but getting harder to find, the X5 diesel. It's fast and gets great MPG and prices are good as people started to be drawn away after the VW scam.

Quote:

I'd love to hear folks thoughts....including opinions on the GLA or GLC if folks know those vehicles.
Or the X3 ~ the BMW that would be of interest if they were equipped the way we'd like.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33 View Post
I don't have a GLA or GLC, but I do have a 2014 E350 with 70k miles. That engine was used till 2016 with those two models. I've had no issues whatsoever. It's an inline 6 with 330 HP and gets very good mileage despite being AWD (over 30 on highway). The SUVs will get less MPG, though.

Benz makes a very, very comfy car - more comfy than BMW for sure.

My mom has a X3 and when I go to see her and my dad - about every other month - I drive that car. Very nice car as well and great bike transporter.

One other to consider, but getting harder to find, the X5 diesel. It's fast and gets great MPG and prices are good as people started to be drawn away after the VW scam.

Great car but unfortunately underpowered with the 3L engine which impacts mpg, BMW should have brought over the 4.4L Euro motor instead.

BTW, y'all still have a chance to get the best high end luxury car ever built.
Didn't sell for $35K

Old 08-26-2020, 09:55 AM

GLC and GLA are both nice. The GLA is a small car disguised as a small SUV. The 4matic is nice, the capacity is small, but if you want a nice commuting vehicle with has a nice interior, I think it is a fine car if there are just two of you with all the Mercedes luxury inside. The GLA just did a body change, and the latest version has a slightly nicer interior/exterior.

The GLC is more true SUV. More room but still pretty compact. More family friendly in my opinion. Considering the price difference between a GLC/GLA, I'd lean to the GLC.

For me personally, I am trying to talk my wife into the GLC Coupe which although less rear space than the GLC, I like the sporty look and want to swap. In our current GLC, we had issues with the rear camera. Otherwise it's been great.

I think my wife drove the wheels off our old M350 SUV. I think it had close to 300k miles on it when we got ride of it. It really was a panzer.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:01 AM
Forward the Foundation

Saw one of these on the road, couldn't tell if it was new,
like a Brooks saddle, they've looked the same since King Edward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3wheel110v2op-768x432.jpg (70.7 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by sg8357; 08-26-2020 at 11:04 AM.