Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 01:41 PM
cmg

So how long will you keep the "2016 BMW 750 loaded w/ 34k miles for $42k, warrantied for 5 years with a $250 deductible"? Just the 5 years it's under warranty? What would be the cars worth then? would you have add another 100K miles? Kind of curious. Beautiful car with too many gadgets to keep up with.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:41 PM

Hey sweet ride, congrats!

I dont know much about high end modern cars but dont this kinda of car have a tip of point where they suddenly basicly have no value at all ?

When these top of the line high zoot cars became a certain age it seems to me that the crowd with money no longer wants them as there is a new electric car or another new feature or modell that is a must have so most have moved on.

At this point the only ones who wants to own these are ppl who really cant afford to have them and most realize this so they dont buy them unless the price is so low that most ppl who afforded to buy them in the first place will barely bother to sell them as its too little money for them. So a very small market ?

They may seem like a bargain today (and may very well still be if u also sell them before..) but i would not be suprised if they continue to drop like stones even in a none covid market. Then are they really bargains after say 10 years?

I dont know this to be true but its something that i think i have noticed and its how i myself reason when i sometimes look at similar vehicles (alltho quite a bit older than 4 years). So when is that drop off? Milages age etc how to know?
Old 08-04-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
I dont know much about high end modern cars but dont this kinda of car have a tip of point where they suddenly basicly have no value at all ?

When these top of the line high zoot cars became a certain age it seems to me that the crowd with money no longer wants them as there is a new electric car or another new feature or modell that is a must have so most have moved on.

At this point the only ones who wants to own these are ppl who really cant afford to have them and most realize this so they dont buy them unless the price is so low that most ppl who afforded to buy them in the first place will barely bother to sell them as its too little money for them. So a very small market ?

They may seem like a bargain today (and may very well still be if u also sell them before..) but i would not be suprised if they continue to drop like stones even in a none covid market. Then are they really bargains after say 10 years?

I dont know this to be true but its something that i think i have noticed and its how i myself reason when i sometimes look at similar vehicles (alltho quite a bit older than 4 years). So when is that drop off? Milages age etc how to know?
I think it's smart money. Wait, no car is smart money, but this is a bargain if you drive and enjoy and then dump before the glitches come and the warranty runs out.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:03 PM

Nice car, enjoy!
I am not sure about the "now" though, the 7-Series has always been one of the cars with the highest depreciation.
https://www.businessinsider.com/10-c...-years-2019-10

It looks like the bigger the car the higher the loss, at least when it comes to the Germans, e.g. A8, S-Class, VW Phaeton(!).
Old 08-04-2020, 02:05 PM

How much did the warranty cost?
Old 08-04-2020, 02:16 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
I think it's smart money. Wait, no car is smart money, but this is a bargain if you drive and enjoy and then dump before the glitches come and the warranty runs out.
+1
Like bikes, I don't really buys cars with an eye on what the resale value will be....I drive them until they are worth close to $0. My last two cars I had for 12 years and 14 years.

I picked up a pretty fully loaded 2017 X5 last fall....24,000 miles and got for about $44,000. When new, MSRP was close to $80,000. I figure I will drive for 10 years and then see what is out there.....totally get where the OP is coming from.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:18 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
So when is that drop off?
They depreciate rapidly for the first few years, but the CPO market props up the prices for a while. Then they really drop when most banks will no longer finance them. That used to be 5 years, now 7 years seems more typical.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:22 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4racer View Post
Bought myself my unicorn car a couple of years back (E63S AMG wagon) which was a delightful way to feel like I was driving straight to jail everytime I pushed the "on" button.
You can have the utility without the lunacy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (117.5 KB, 383 views)
Old 08-04-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
I remember similar bargains back in 2009/2008

This next one is going to be epic. Maybe it is time to finally ditch my '03 Matrix...
I bought a 2007 Porsche 911 in 2009 for $.50 on the dollar. 16k miles, super clean car.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
I bought a 2007 Porsche 911 in 2009 for $.50 on the dollar. 16k miles, super clean car.
Excellent deal! Now is a good time to buy cars, and good used cars are a good buy. Last year, when my old BMW died after 24 years of use, I was able to get a 2015 Lexus IS 350 with 38k miles for like $20k. Basically $.50 on the dollar.

The only thing with big German cars is going to be maintenance as you really need to do the service. I had my 1990 BMW 535i with stick shift for like 24 years. But I pretty much followed the maintenance schedule and did things like oil changes every 5k miles (dino oil), bled brakes and flushed coolant every couple of years and changed differential and transmission fluid every 30k miles with synthetic fluid. But the car ran really well and lasted a long time. So if you want a good German car, find one that looks new and has all the maintenance records. Then do the upkeep and it should last.

Of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
Old 08-04-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I'm just starting to shop for a Cayenne Diesel, 2013-2015 age range. Need both rails and air suspension. There's been exactly one with those options on the market nationwide, that I could find, in the past six months...

But the good news is that *nobody* wants a Cayenne diesel, and so prices are like $20K lower than for a similar Cayenne S V6 twin turbo. Personally, I like the motor (wife's Q7 has the same 3L diesel), and the extended warranty due to dieselgate is a bonus...

I think they will become more plentiful in the fall...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 08-04-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:00 PM

I think the market is around these levels. It may have cheapened slightly, like 5-8%, but not much more.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah used porsche from 2000s or previous is like buying a used moots. No risk. Not really the same risk as buying a high end station wagon with the biggest engine. Thats more like getting a 2 year old specialized. Well thats what i fear anyways when i think about doing something similar .)
Old 08-04-2020, 03:53 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
2009 was the doldrums of the financial crisis. I thought about buying a clean 964 for $12k (still haunts me), and know of at least two independent Porsche dealerships that went bust because they just couldn't make any sort of margin to stay afloat. An exceptional window.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
2009 was the doldrums of the financial crisis. I thought about buying a clean 964 for $12k (still haunts me), and know of at least two independent Porsche dealerships that went bust because they just couldn't make any sort of margin to stay afloat. An exceptional window.
Ouch. That car is probably $50K today.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy