Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 08:27 AM

brake pads for carbon cantis

Are the Salmon color Eagle ok for carbon rims? All i'm finding is the cartridge style that say carbon friendly. , I need the style with the longer post coming from the pad, like Eagle .
Old 08-04-2020, 08:42 AM

What is your current setup? What brakes are you trying to fit the pads into? A picture may help others to reply with some better directed insight.

TRP does a post mount pad holders that can use any Shimano insert. https://trpcycling.com/product/inplace-adjust-f/

Salmon pads probably won't give you the performance you are hoping for on carbon rims, and definitely not if they've been used on aluminum rims previously.

Last edited by hollowgram5; 08-04-2020 at 10:01 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 08-04-2020, 08:57 AM

brake pads

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Can...55651033&psc=1 THIS IS THE STYLE REQUIRED
Old 08-04-2020, 09:42 AM

Most carbon rim pads are designed for road style pad holders. So you'll want a pad holder with smooth posts (for cantilevers) that hold road style pads. Kool stop makes such a pad holder:

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Cro...g-goods&sr=1-2

The pads that come with these holders are meant for aluminum rims, so you'll have to get the carbon rim pads separately.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankldu View Post
I understand the style you are asking about, and I can repeat what I previously stated: Salmon pads are designed and intended for use on aluminum rims. They are not advised for carbon rims, and especially not after they have been used on a set of aluminum rims.

Your best bet is to look at either the option I shared above (From TRP that can be purchased with carbon specific pads already installed) or the version that Mark MCM posted but keep in mind you'll need to buy your specific preferred carbon pad at that point.

Many high level CX racers used to use similar methods to get carbon inserts into post mount cantilever style brakes for racing.