Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 10:16 PM

Air Compressor Recommendations

I've broken down and accepted I really should have an air compressor due to my cycling habits and my newish appreciation for tubeless (other than the tire seating). In this regard, does anyone have any strong opinions or advice as to what to look for in a compressor?

I'm leaning towards the Prestaflator over the Park tool since it seems like the former is plenty good for my purposes.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
I've broken down and accepted I really should have an air compressor due to my cycling habits and my newish appreciation for tubeless (other than the tire seating). In this regard, does anyone have any strong opinions or advice as to what to look for in a compressor?

I'm leaning towards the Prestaflator over the Park tool since it seems like the former is plenty good for my purposes.
Definitely get something quiet if used indoors like in a garage, or even if used outdoors. Search for California Air Tools, they are based in San Diego.

If you just need something to try out, you can have my older craftsman, just sitting in storage. Pretty loud though. You will need to get a hose and any individual attachments.

Tan

Last edited by radsmd; 08-04-2020 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:11 AM
That guy..

Get an oil free unit.

Also. I feel like you could piece together your own inflator for less than what the prestaflator costs.

Personally. Went with a digital gauge. I started off double checking the readings with my accugage. But now trust that it's actually darn accurate.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:16 AM

Second the California Air Tools recommendation if you just want to inflate bike tires. They're small for other stuff like running air tools but quiet. How quiet? I keep one just so i don't have to fire up my big compressor just to do bikes. See the other recent thread for inflator recommendations.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:55 AM

3rd vote for CAT compressor. i have 2 of them.

dont waste your time and destroy your eardrums with old-school kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Second the California Air Tools recommendation if you just want to inflate bike tires. They're small for other stuff like running air tools but quiet. How quiet? I keep one just so i don't have to fire up my big compressor just to do bikes. See the other recent thread for inflator recommendations.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:40 AM

This and similar questions have been posted here before:
Best way to search IMO: enter site://forums.thepaceline.net compressor in Google (not a link, but a search)
Old 08-04-2020, 08:46 AM
That guy..

Wow. That California Air Tools is so quiet. That's insane. A microwave makes more noise.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:34 PM

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I also had a suggestion of one of the handheld units. I suppose this gives me some fun shopping ahead and I've already rationalized this purchase.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
Get an oil free unit.

Also. I feel like you could piece together your own inflator for less than what the prestaflator costs.

Personally. Went with a digital gauge. I started off double checking the readings with my accugage. But now trust that it's actually darn accurate.
Oil Free units are significantly louder than an oiled compressor. Not like you'll need to swap the oil more than once every few years and they're so much quieter. My 30 gallon oil-less compressor makes twice as much noise and puts out half as much air as the 80 gallon unit at the shop.

I use an Astro inflator with a Silca Hiro chuck on the end for bikes. I need to modify the chuck a little so it seals better but it works well enough as is to keep me from taking the chuck apart and turning it down. Not the cheapest way to go but it's pretty nice.

https://www.astrotools.com/3-5-digit...with-hose.html

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 08-04-2020, 04:02 PM
extremely tall

There is no competition for California Air Tools for bike use. Even their smallest will seat 29x2.5 tubeless (and I’m sure fatbike tires too) and they’re so damn small and quiet. They work well enough for automobile use but the small ones may need to catch up if you’re putting a lot of air in.

This is the one I have. $112 shipped. California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S Light & Quiet Portable Air Compressor, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYHYHEA..._80CkFbTDQJ0M2

Last edited by echelon_john; 08-04-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
There is no competition for California Air Tools for bike use. Even their smallest will seat 29x2.5 tubeless (and I’m sure fatbike tires too) and they’re so damn small and quiet. They work well enough for automobile use but the small ones may need to catch up if you’re putting a lot of air in.

This is the one I have. $112 shipped. California Air Tools CAT-1P1060S Light & Quiet Portable Air Compressor, Silver https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYHYHEA..._80CkFbTDQJ0M2
That's insane. That unit is quieter than my feet on the steps going down to the basement to switch on my Craftsman air compressor!

95% of my use is inflating car tires. Is this one (or one of their slightly larger ones) big enough to do car tires?

Will they run a finish nailer?

I was going to build a sound enclosure for my compressor...maybe I should just replace/supplement it...

Thanks!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-04-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
That's insane. That unit is quieter than my feet on the steps going down to the basement to switch on my Craftsman air compressor!

95% of my use is inflating car tires. Is this one (or one of their slightly larger ones) big enough to do car tires?

Will they run a finish nailer?

I was going to build a sound enclosure for my compressor...maybe I should just replace/supplement it...

Thanks!
Even the small one runs a finish nailer fine if you're not doing 40 running feet of crown molding. It'll top off a car tire, but inflating one from flat is a chore. I have a 911 with three piece wheels, and one leaks down after a month-use the big 3 hp Porter Cable for that.
I'm super happy with the California though. It does have a hidden breaker that will shut it down if you leave a hose in for very long-even a good hose usually leaks enough that it'll cycle a lot. I mean, it cycles after doing two low tubulars to 85 psi. So what? You could use it in the house. And yes, it seats tubeless fine. It also comes with and adjustable output regulator at that price.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:12 PM
LateStart

Harbor Freight

I have this "super quiet" from Harbor Freight and it has been great. Only used for bike work however. I don't have any air tools.

They have sales and coupons, things get marked down and open box sales, I don't recall what I paid. But when I went tubeless I bought it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-Gall...cyIn0%3D%0D%0A
Old 08-04-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Even the small one runs a finish nailer fine if you're not doing 40 running feet of crown molding. It'll top off a car tire, but inflating one from flat is a chore. I have a 911 with three piece wheels, and one leaks down after a month-use the big 3 hp Porter Cable for that.
I'm super happy with the California though. It does have a hidden breaker that will shut it down if you leave a hose in for very long-even a good hose usually leaks enough that it'll cycle a lot. I mean, it cycles after doing two low tubulars to 85 psi. So what? You could use it in the house. And yes, it seats tubeless fine. It also comes with and adjustable output regulator at that price.
Thanks. I change four sets of tires each season and usually have to top up at least a couple. Tires are getting bigger...now two of the sets are SUV class, and they take more air.

I have a small VIAair 12 volt compressor that I used when autocrossing...even that only takes a minute or to two to top off a tire.

No crown molding for me, just some finish nailing on bookcases. Would be nice to bring the air to the room, rather than snaking 100' + of hose from the shop up two flights of stairs...

Hmmm...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-04-2020, 08:56 PM

Instead of overthinking it for a while, I just pulled the trigger on this one from Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUIE...sor/1001014016
It is probably overkill, but I do have a lot of tires that could use air. I ended up ordering the Prestaflator and I'll see how that works. It feels kind of weird to be excited about an air compressor, but I'll take my thrills however I can get them.