Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 03:28 AM

Reflections on an e-bike

Not e-bikes in general, just one for me, or not.

I see them all the time now, almost always some sort of mountain bike looking rig, way fat tires, flat bars, upright positions, people looking for electric-assisted comfort, even on the bike paths. I was once passed by a way overweight older guy who was casually pedaling like he was on a flat bike path. This was near the top of the climb to the col above where I live, grade hovering at 9-10%.

I was maxed out, concentrating on turning the cranks over. And this clearly out-of-shape, overweight guy goes cruising by me and disappears up the road. At the time I didn't know e-bikes could be so powerful. Since then I regularly pass (driving, not riding) people who live on the plateau returning from work by bike on 8 and 9% grades and their hauling along at 40, 45 kph. With loaded panniers! Pretty crazy.

Hence the possibility of going electric is a permanent temptation around here. Especially now that companies are producing some pretty sweet looking road and gravel bikes with integrated motors and batteries, bikes that almost look normal. I'm probably considered the perfect prospect for an e-bike. 75 years old, ride a lot, love roads that go up, and spend a good bit of time on dirt roads and trails where the riding is automatically harder than on asphalt. I've also been steadily decreasing my chain ring sizing and increasing the my cog sizing. In other words made for electric.

Lots of compelling logic behind e-bikes but I just don't see one in my future, or in any future I want to envision. I'd miss too much. Like those mornings when I start off rough, like a V12 running sporadically on 3, 4, once in awhile 5 cylinders, staggering up even the slightest grade. I press on, concentrating on riding smoothly, softly, knowing that eventually I'll ride through the roughness. I always do. Or almost always. I just stay focused on my technique and enjoying where I am and finally without even having noticed the change I'm riding well. I love that feeling. With electric-assist how would I know when I've passed through the roughness and am finally riding smoothly and strong. Or even know I was only running on a couple of cylinders!

Then there are those days when I'm feeling strong and smooth, powering the bike forward with this compact, focused energy, the bike surging up the road. With electric-assist how would I know it was me generating this power that's flowing the bike forward. I suppose that with the e-assist I'd be moving way faster because with me feeling strong on the bike doesn't necessarily translate into speed; it's just how I feel. But speed for me is nothing more than a by-product and of little import.

Then there are those technical section on a trail where I'm balanced on a thin line between power and maintaining traction, where I can feel the rear wheel's grip passing right through the frame and into my feet and legs and hands and I can feel the tension between the tire's grip and my pressure on the pedals and my hands pulling back on the grips, what would happen to all those sensations with an electric motor in the middle of all that. And when I've cleaned the section, instead of giving myself an exuberant high fine would I give one to the electric motor.

There's an intimacy between rider effort and bike advance that I love. Inserting an electric motor into that would be like inviting an AI robot into bed with my wife and I.

I've been told that with e-assist I could ride so much further in the same time frame, and return having burned up the same amount of energy, that I could ride up grades that now either defeat me or thoroughly shatter me in getting to the top, or that I just entirely avoid. Thing is I don't mind not being able to ride up some grades, I don't mind pushing my bike up dirt grades that I couldn't ride, I don't mind having to ignore certain climbs. I don't ride for achievements; I ride for the sensations riding the bike provides me. I like getting to the top of some hill thoroughly shattered and barely able to breathe and stand-up with my heart rate having blown right through red line because I know in a moment or two that will pass and I'll be feeling absolutely ecstatic that I managed to ride up that damn hill. Unassisted, just me, pressing through. I love how that makes me feel. And no, I don't want to share that feeling with a damn electric motor!

And besides all that an e-assist bike would be an insult to my two Eriksens, one a skinny-tired road bike, the other a fat-tired road bike. They're gorgeous bikes, beautifully crafted for my dimensions, needs, and wants. The fat-tired version feels like an extension of myself, the bike flicking around obstacles on trails before I've consciously realized that's what I need to do. There's no way I'm about to just hang them up because of an e-bike. Which is what would happen I think. I mean why in the hell would I want to exchange my custom built titanium Eriksens for production-line plastic bikes from some asian factory with a bunch of electronic stuff that is guaranteed to have problems sometime down the line. I'd have to lose my mind to do something that dumb.

Maybe I'm wrong but an e-bike strikes me like some sort of addictive drug. Get started with it and pretty soon there's no turning back. No thanks, not for me. I'm happy with my bowl and roll program, a smidgen of herb burned in a tiny titanium pipe then I'm rolling off at whatever speed my body's into producing that day. And always I return feeling good, my spirit dancing and singing even if my body's beat. I hang my bike back up on its hook and smile every time. Works well for me and to be honest, any future that would have me thinking I need an e-bike to continue riding is not a future I want to contemplate because it would mean my body was no longer capable of riding like I want. And if I can't ride the way I want, then it's time to toss in the towel. Maybe that will change, humans can be amazingly fickle, but for now I don't think so.

Besides, I'm tired of all these electric devices that constantly need to be charged and eventually the batteries thrown away and new ones installed. That's why my mouse and keyboard for the computer have cords. I've managed to reduce those sorts of devices down to a telephone and cordless drill/driver and that's enough.

But like I said, who knows what the future holds.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:55 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Lots of compelling logic behind e-bikes but I just don't see one in my future, or in any future I want to envision.
Quote:
But like I said, who knows what the future holds.
Feel better now, velo pal?

Glad we can provide some therapeutic listenin'...

Think of e-bike...as an electric toothbrush or...a newly installed elevator in an old 8-story tall apartment.

At the end of the day, it's just another tool. It can't really solve the problem of someone who have poor oral hygiene or the fat person who lives on the second floor but insists on taking the lift...

But for someone like you who already has mastery over the artform, it can extend the passionate lovemaking session just a bit longer....I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:31 AM

It only hurts when there isn't a motor attatched on the other bike....but I'm used to it now

Last edited by Toeclips; 08-03-2020 at 04:39 AM. Reason: That took me 20 minutes, I can't imagine
Old 08-03-2020, 05:47 AM

I'm one evolutionary step behind you and still rocking a corded drill.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:11 AM

It seems an E bike is not for you. My wife has had a knee replacement.....and still likes to ride, but knee hampers her....so she really likes her E bike as an aid to staying active.

But I'm with you....I don't enjoy riding her E bike much. It just does not give ME the same experience as a traditional human powered bike, as you so eloquently describe. And I don't like the extra weight. Maybe as a commuter device, makes some sense.

And I am 4 years older than you. If we can stay healthy, and continue to ride.....and as the chainrings get smaller and cassette cogs get larger....and E bike tech continues to evolve....who knows....maybe my views will change somewhat. So ride on!

And I agree I don't want my life controlled by battery life and chargers. But do think battery powered devices with chargers are better than gas cans. Really like our battery powered yard equipment.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:05 AM

Good points and I think it captures many of the conflicts inherent in riding an ebike. In particular, the skinny bike experience is unique and clearly lacking with my 26lb ebike. I’ve been contemplating which of my two analog bikes I will sell now that I primarily ride the ebike, and it’s difficult choice. Each of those bikes has character, whereas the ebike feels more like a purpose built tool. Sad to say, but given my heart condition and terrain, they don’t suffice for any lengthy rides. Maybe that townie I’m building will get me more skinny bike experience on short rides and fill that gap sufficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 09:17 AM

makes me wonder

what percentage of nay sayers or fence sitters (me) who have yet to try a good ebike = Spec Turbo Creo - are afraid they will like it so much and may never want to sit on an analog bike ever again?
Old 08-03-2020, 10:09 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
what percentage of nay sayers or fence sitters (me) who have yet to try a good ebike = Spec Turbo Creo - are afraid they will like it so much and may never want to sit on an analog bike ever again?
My boss has done a review on the Creo SL E5 Comp (aluminum frame). He wants me to try it out.

I must admit I'm still on the fence. A 27 pound bike with a motor for $5000. I could buy a pretty nice anything else for that kind of money.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:41 AM

local shop here rents

Turbo Creos for $125 a day and of course rental fee applies if purchase happens.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:19 AM

Things that conflict me I tend not to participate in, especially if it's 100% voluntary.

There is a seasonally closed section of mountain road near my house, it's great to see people who likely would not have the fitness (age, disability ,etc) to explore this area if it were not for the invention of the e-bike.

Currently I can't see myself purchasing an e-bike, or smoking weed if that matters but I don't feel the urge to pontificate over it
Old 08-03-2020, 12:00 PM
Forward the Foundation

Was on the Saturday group ride, coming back, a group five riders passed me.
Two of the 5 were on e-road bikes, a Specialized and a Trek.

Now I know how it feels to get passed by Team Ineos.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:26 PM
quadropheniac

Screw the e-bike...I’m liking the bowl and roll approach.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:36 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I would not mind a performance oriented one in the stable. Only so [being retired now] I could use it for riding on my rest days.

Rest while rolling.

These days 3 days of normal go fast riding can mean 1 day rest and one day JRA, or two off. Recovery not quite what it was 20 years back.

One issue is when best weather days and rest need days happen on the same day, the E-bike could close that up too.

How is that for a way to look at a tools use?
Old 08-03-2020, 11:09 PM

Go for it. Please stay off the non-mortorized trails if you do, cuz what you're driving is an electrically powered motorcycle with pedals.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:03 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

My Levo is fun to ride. My Creo is fun to ride. My analog bikes are also fun to ride. Riding is fun, whether its on a regular bike or an ebike.

Just have fun and ride your bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2EA731FA-0992-433D-AC9F-853512EAFA49.jpg (144.0 KB, 63 views)