Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaman View Post
Thanks very much for all the opinions. Gives me a lot to think.

I am trying not to spend more $ than needed. I am not looking to be the fastest, just wondering if the issue is only me (the engine) or the bike itself, or if I can narrow the gap with some tweaks. I got it that some quick wins are the drop bars for aerodynamics and the tyres.
Thanks all.
If you're looking for a quick, inexpensive "speed" upgrade, I'd get old school (?) bar end, cut down the bars, and try to mimic a road bike position by getting a longer stem (and dropping it a bit).

It's not just aero. When you lean over you recruit your glutes so you have more power.

I found that I could go quite quickly on my mountain bike with narrow bars and bar ends. My torso was pretty flat, my arms extended but not very wide, and I could hold the position for a while. It's very similar to a road bike position if you were on the hoods. I "determine" where to cut the bars by moving the levers in until the bar bulge prevents any more inward movement, cut the grips down to my hand width, put the bar ends on, and cut flush with the bar end.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:01 AM

before going whole hog with a road-bike you could go quicker on current bike if you can tolerate a position based on drop-bars, to reduce your body's aero drag as robt57 suggests.

also lighter tyres and maybe even aero-ish wheels will also help quite a bit as well.

beyond that, get a road bike. but if your body still prefers a "riser-bar" position on a road bike, you'll still find some limitations on how much faster you'll go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaman View Post
I am riding a Waterford X-22 (cyclocross) currently in fast city mode - on a set of riser bars, cantilever brakes, thumbshifters, 9-speed Ultegra and 28c continental gatorskin. I love the bike.

Other than training my own fitness, what would you suggest to help me gain some speed? would changing to a drop bar setup help significantly? I am constantly being smoked by Roadies and TT riders btw.

Or should i just get a proper roadie?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2020, 08:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I disagree with those that say you need to get a road bike. The geometry of a cyclocross bike isn't much different from a road bike (and the differences that exist primarily affect handling, not speed). The key to speed on a road bike (other than the power and fitness of the rider, obviously), is the rider's position. Assuming the bike is properly sized, changing the riser bar to a drop bar should allow you to achieve just as good a position on a cyclocross as on a road bike (you may want to visit a good bike fitter to optimize your position). That, plus a good set of road tires, will get you 99% of the way towards what a true road bike will give. You'll have to change the handlebar and probably the stem, the brake/shift levers, and the tires, but it could be a less expensive option than buying a completely new bike
Mee too

4 things make you 'faster'..

Fit-bike fit you? See position above
Fitness-being cycle 'fit'
Fat-lack there of on you
Finesse-riding and training smart.