Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
Tubeless with pressure above 50psi is more or less a waste of time as far as I can tell. That means 28s and smaller basically don't seal up when punctured. I've not had a flat seal up without losing all of the air (and 90% of the sealant) on road tubeless.
This is not my 3-time experience. 25s, punctured, sealed, kept 60 out of 80psi. A little soft, but easily ridable. Could have topped it off, but didn't feel the need.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:59 PM

I've been running tubeless on road for a while now. With wider tires, like 30c and up, it's a no brainer. I'd recommend it to anyone comfortable doing basic maintenance. I've loved it on 25-28c tires as well, but setup can be a little tougher. I have no plans to revert back to tubes on my daily.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:52 PM

Like anything, there’s a bit of a learning/compatibility curve with your wheels that you will figure out as you go. A lot of people are initially intimidated, but using a compressor and soapy water makes for an easy install.

I am tubeless all the way on MTB and Gravel bike. Have not converted my road bike yet, but also haven’t been riding it much as our roads are beat to hell, so I’ve been on the gravel bike. The sticky valve issue can be avoided by not filling through the valve, but instead unseating the tire and re-seating. Additionally, some sealants (Stan’s Race Sealant) are not meant to be filled through the valve as they will definitely clog it.

Once properly set up, they work really well, and the ability to use a plug kit is pretty great for larger punctures (huge time saver). When I wear out these current road tires, I plan to convert them too. Sidewall cuts are the only showstopper, but Stan’s Dart repair kit looks like a nice option for those situations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 04:03 PM

Love tubeless. Despite sometimes having soooo much trouble getting the tire on!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 04:31 PM
Older Than You

I haven't made the switch to tubeless....yet. I understand that tubless is a better ride than clinchers but the sealant mess is a deal breaker.

I have not experienced a high flat count of clinchers. I keep track of flats, tire changes..etc. My last flat was June 14, 2019 and before that June 14, 2017..my birthday. The next flat was over 3 years earlier.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
I haven't made the switch to tubeless....yet. I understand that tubless is a better ride than clinchers but the sealant mess is a deal breaker.

I have not experienced a high flat count of clinchers. I keep track of flats, tire changes..etc. My last flat was June 14, 2019 and before that June 14, 2017..my birthday. The next flat was over 3 years earlier.
When I lived in Paris, TX, tubeless was totally worth it. I was getting 1-2 flats a week from pieces of wire on the shoulders. That won't flat a tubeless tire. The sealant wasn't a big deal, you just have to remember to add some every 3-4 months. In 2018, before I moved to AZ, I spent a week riding in Fredericksburg. I rode 50-70 miles a day and on the last ride, the back tire got soft but not flat. I got back to the hotel and saw that I had ridden it to the casing. When I pulled the tire off, there were dozens of small wires and thorns, never had a flat. Now I'm in AZ and do it for the thorns.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:13 PM

100% tubless for sure

Running TL on all my MTBs and gravel rig for that matter. CX? Sure why not, though Ive been spoiled by tubulars. Some of my round towners are still running with tubes as they are running older equipment.

I have not had as much experience on TL road, but aiming to try it out soon.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:22 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Tubeless gravel and MTB.
Tubular Cross unless you are OK gambling on burping air.
Tubeless on city roads with rough spots, trash, etc.
Tubes/Tubulars on pristine tarmac or the Track.
Tubes/Tubulars if you like carrying a bunch of stuff with you.
Tubeless if you know what a bacon strip is and can successfully use a CO2.
YMMV
Old 08-03-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post

Use latex tubes and the feel is very similar if not better, also some have had great results using sealant in the latex tubes too...a bit like using sealant in a tubular which seems fine too.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:17 AM
Soy Un Perdedor

I've been running tubeless on MTB for about 8 or 9 years and tubeless on road for about 5 years now. The Conti GP5000TLs are awesome tubeless road tires. For me, less flats is totally worth the effort and upkeep of tubeless.