Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 11:06 AM
The bass playing cyclist

Who's gone over to tubeless, and are you happy with it?

I know I'm slow to change and usually have to be dragged into more modern cycling developments, but I'm curious about your experiences going tubeless. See a speed increase? Comfort increase? Advantages/disadvantages?
Thanks much in advance,
Joe
Old 07-31-2020, 11:08 AM

Is there another way to ride?

I’ll never go back to tubed. Be wary of Schwalbe, though. See recent thread.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:14 AM

Just build up a Swiss Cross with 38mm tires on them. It’ll be my first foray into tubeless. I think for gravel/offroad, it’s a no brainer. Comfort, flat protection, and grip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOJoe View Post
I know I'm slow to change and usually have to be dragged into more modern cycling developments, but I'm curious about your experiences going tubeless.
It depends. Road? Gravel? Mountain bike?
Old 07-31-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOJoe View Post
I know I'm slow to change and usually have to be dragged into more modern cycling developments, but I'm curious about your experiences going tubeless. See a speed increase? Comfort increase? Advantages/disadvantages?
Thanks much in advance,
Joe

I just responded to that thread. It’s a small sample size, and TBH, flats are basically a string of bad luck. You can’t definitely say those model tires/company is bad.

I’ve come to the conclusion that to ride a robust (stiffer, and less puncture prone) tire, in the event that I get a flat (I’m not bike touring) for day rides, that I’m missing out on a more pleasant experience riding more supple tires (via lower pressure, or different material).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2020, 11:25 AM
That guy..

Running tubeless on my commuter and "fast" ride bikes. Cafelatex.

Super happy.
Comfortably running lower PSI.
You have to get punctures, and see it in action, to be a believer.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:30 AM
Vendor

What's a tube?
Old 07-31-2020, 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=
You have to get punctures, and see it in action, to be a believer.[/QUOTE]

This is what convinced me--a friend running tubeless got a flat (on a Schwalbe!), spun the wheel around a few times as the sealant sprayed out, the hole sealed, and off we went--30 seconds.

Of course, there are more serious problems. I've had the rim tape fail, which no amount of sealant could fix. And they can be a bitch to mount or take off. But I like learning and adapting, and I think on the whole, they have actually saved me time. The switch also led me to adopt wider tires, while I'm liking for rough roads.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:23 PM
The bass playing cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
It depends. Road? Gravel? Mountain bike?
Mostly just road riding...
Old 07-31-2020, 12:24 PM

I assume you are talking about for road. MTB and Gravel are mandatory tubeless. I have been riding tubeless on the road on and off since the original Hutchinson Fusion and Shimano C24 wheel over 10 yrs ago. Went back to latex tubes for a while because of limited tire and wheel options (specifically aero carbon). Have been exclusively tubeless for about 3 yrs now.

Your experience will depend on finding a wheel/tire combo that works. I think that is getting easier every year. I like being able to ride a more supple tire and have the sealant take care of minor flats that might not have happened on a more robust tire. I'm running lower pressures, so more comfort, and rolling resistance and weight are comparable on the top tubeless and tubed options. I carry a dynaplug for larger punctures. If I am going for an adventure with some dirt or far from home and/or cell service, I will also carry a tube.

You may need a compressor to seat the tire initially. If a tire just won't hold air, then you probably need an extra wrap of tubeless rim tape. Or, you have a tire/rim combo that isn't ideal.

Does all this sound like a pain? Yes, it is more work than a tube. But you get better ride quality and fewer flats.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:31 PM

I've been tubeless for at least 8 years.

Just got the new Panaracer Gravel King SS+ for the gravel bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 11.30.47 AM.jpg (78.8 KB, 381 views)
Old 07-31-2020, 01:10 PM
Meh

All tubeless and happy for gravel and mountain bike. Find a good sealant and stick to it, get some dynaplugs, and get a pump with a booster tank. You will be happy once you get used to the additional faff.

I've also found you need to find a tape that you like. I have a roll of Stans but I find I get on more with the DT swiss tubeless tape. I've found those plastic rim strip things aren't great for making a good consistent seal, so I pull them and replace with tape.

Topping up tires with sealant every few months is another task you will need to get used to. I haven't found a consistent length of time where this is necessary - sealant does not dry out at a consistent rate, even with the same brand. Seems to depend on a lot of factors - rim, tire, tape, valve, how good your tape job was, etc.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:40 PM

road tubeless for 3 years, went back to tubed this year to use up old tires before buying new tubeless. Punctured within two days, back on tubeless. I have never had a flat tire with tubeless. Recommend IRC or Vittoria.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
All tubeless and happy for gravel and mountain bike. Find a good sealant and stick to it, get some dynaplugs, and get a pump with a booster tank. You will be happy once you get used to the additional faff.

I've also found you need to find a tape that you like. I have a roll of Stans but I find I get on more with the DT swiss tubeless tape. I've found those plastic rim strip things aren't great for making a good consistent seal, so I pull them and replace with tape.

Topping up tires with sealant every few months is another task you will need to get used to. I haven't found a consistent length of time where this is necessary - sealant does not dry out at a consistent rate, even with the same brand. Seems to depend on a lot of factors - rim, tire, tape, valve, how good your tape job was, etc.
The extra maintenance required has dissuaded me from making the leap to tubeless. This is probably since I ride on relatively good roads and occasionally on well-groomed trails. For me, it’s not worth the hassle to avoid one or two flats annually over approximately three thousand annual miles. Perhaps if my mileage increased significantly and my riding began to take place on worse pavement or other terrain, I would consider making the switch.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:55 PM

I ride on roads and trails in the Mohave Desert, tubeless is the only way to go. I went all tubeless in 2017 and haven't had a flat on the road or trail. I rode back with a bouncy Gravel King once and learned the lesson to keep a minipump on the frame to top off the tire in the event it takes a little longer to seal.