Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 09:27 AM

Handlebars for fixed gear mid-range rides

Unofficial poll because I'm bullhorn-curious...

I built myself a fixed gear road bike this week and after 24 miles at lunch yesterday, I think I'll keep it around for a while. In general, I ride on the hoods anyway and only go for the drops if I'm really pushing it. I don't plan on setting any aero-world-records on this bike and I'm pretty comfortable getting low from the hoods anyway (the whole "horizontal forearm" deal).

My actual question is... will I regret taking the drop bars off and putting on bullhorns? I can get them free at the co-op, but is it worth the time and effort?
Old 07-31-2020, 09:34 AM

I used to ride fixed gear brake-less. Aside from being a fan of how bullhorns look, it was nice not having to worry about blowing out my top tube with drop bars swinging into them. Having more hand positions with drops is always nice, but the fixed gear bike was used for fun rides.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:35 AM

probably... but try them.

Less hand positions on bullhorns, and don't forget to get the same positional depth and reach you'll probably need to lower the stem and run a shorter stem. Bullhorns are generally longer (forward) and the sweep is up from bar centre rather than dropped.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:44 AM

I'd go for it.

Changing bars always seemed easy enough on a fixed gear since you typically odn't have as many bits and pieces to remove.

Alternate suggestion, mustache bars?
Old 07-31-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustychisel View Post
probably... but try them.

Less hand positions on bullhorns, and don't forget to get the same positional depth and reach you'll probably need to lower the stem and run a shorter stem. Bullhorns are generally longer (forward) and the sweep is up from bar centre rather than dropped.
Good thought. Co-op has several bins of quill stems and a mountain of loose bars. My plan was/is to grab a second stem to go with the bars, so I can just unbolt the current brakes and pull the stem. Quick and easy.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoustache View Post
I'd go for it.

Changing bars always seemed easy enough on a fixed gear since you typically odn't have as many bits and pieces to remove.

Alternate suggestion, mustache bars?
I had a set of Midge bars that I never really liked, so they are actually hanging at the co-op for someone else to try out.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:04 AM

As mentioned above, bullhorns will need a shorter stem and likely a lower position, even if you get bullhorns with some drop.

I like the Virtue Taylor or Nitto B130AAF. Both are sort of halfway between mustache and drop bars. The Virtues are much cheaper and have a bit more of a downward sweep to the "ramp" while the Nittos (expensive) have a longer reach and a more forward sweep to the "ramp".

Both are fairly shallow drop overall and put you in a nice intermediate position between where you'd be in the drops vs hoods on normal road bars.

I run mine with a cross lever mounted next to the stem for front braking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Virtue Taylor.jpg (67.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg NittoB130AAF.jpg (8.1 KB, 114 views)
Old 07-31-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Unofficial poll because I'm bullhorn-curious...

I built myself a fixed gear road bike this week and after 24 miles at lunch yesterday, I think I'll keep it around for a while. In general, I ride on the hoods anyway and only go for the drops if I'm really pushing it. I don't plan on setting any aero-world-records on this bike and I'm pretty comfortable getting low from the hoods anyway (the whole "horizontal forearm" deal).

My actual question is... will I regret taking the drop bars off and putting on bullhorns? I can get them free at the co-op, but is it worth the time and effort?
You are riding it on the road, why would your bars and overall fit requirements be any different than on a geared bike?
Old 07-31-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
You are riding it on the road, why would your bars and overall fit requirements be any different than on a geared bike?
The fit won't be any different at all. The bullhorns can/should be able to match my current hood hand position.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:04 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Mine has Nitto Rando bars. Had bullhorns at a point, but need better angles for shoulders and the extra hand positions personally. I used to take it on club rides with the geared folk, and the drop was mandatory to stay near or on the front for 30 miles of go fast. Drop for aero and for sprinting type accelerations.

It would tear me up I can tell you, but a few days rest...

But if you are out on your own, not trying to paceline along with geared strong riders [#hasbeen] try everything to see how it melds with your style/effort/body etc etc.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:19 PM
Literally Stiff

In my experience, nothing matches the comfort of good old drops and hoods, especially for rides over 2 hrs or so. Even bullhorns didn’t work for me, not really sure why. It’s fun and easy to swap bars, though, so don’t be afraid to experiment. I’m running a narrow-ish mtb riser bar now which I love for shorter rides around town.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:32 PM

The way you grip (or "hold") bullhorns vs brake levers is very different, and your wrist angle will be different as well. Even if it's comfortable, work up slowly so you don't get tendon issues. Other than that, rock on.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:43 PM
n - 1

I’ve got some good climbs around my area (i.e. Little Cottinwood Canyon). Standing and torquing the crud out of the bars. When I had drops, I couldn’t get a good grip when mashing uphills. Sometimes, the levers would slip.

Bullhorns solves the issue. I had a generic Nashbar bullhorns I purchased 13 years ago and still working great. I’ve ridden a few centuries with no issues. If you have big climbs, get the bullhorns.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:48 PM

I've been switching over to Cinelli Mash bullhorns, as they have a wide flat area along the tops to put your hands on and they are more comfortable for the way I ride. Some folks have used Nitto bullhorns with success too.
Consider where your brake levers will end up on the bullhorns is also an important consideration.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:11 PM

I liked bullhorns for riding around SF; in terms of hand positions, they're pretty much just like riding drop bars with brake hoods, minus the drops. I didn't miss that position because I so rarely used it for city riding. YMMV of course. The good thing about bars on fixed gear bikes is, it's so much easier to swap them out, so why not give it a try?