Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you use and value zippered security pockets on the back of jerseys?
I use a security pocket regularly and won’t buy jerseys without them. 10 14.29%
I use them occasionally, but if a jersey doesn’t have one, it’s not a deal breaker. 32 45.71%
They are a feature I don’t use and don’t care about. 28 40.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2020, 12:56 PM

Poll: Zippered Rear Pockets

Wondering what you all think about having a zippered security pocket in the rear. Usually, as on Wabi jerseys, it comes as a small 4th pocket. Do you use and value them, or not so much?
Old 07-30-2020, 01:00 PM

Yeah, that's where my wallet-like items and keys go.

I don't put other items in the same pocket as the phone because sometimes things like to tag along with the phone as you pull it out.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:13 PM
v a n i l l a

I no longer use the 4th zipped security pocket

I used to put my ID, keys, CC and $ in the 4th security pocket but now all that is combined with my phone in a Rapha rainproof essentials case which I put in the middle rear pocket.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:35 PM

I don't really care for smaller, separately located 4th zippered "key/change" pockets elsewhere on a jersey, but I value jerseys that either have the middle of 3 compartments zipped or else an additional 4th zippered pocket on or inside the middle, in that case open, pocket, like yours. Your design is the best variant.

I hope you are not thinking of getting rid of the zippered pocket for budget reasons. Please keep it since any premium jersey should have that special feature.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:43 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Thumbs up

A small zippered pocket is excellent for items never accessed during a ride...like a house key...for example.
I sincerely wish this was a standard feature in all high-quality cycling jerseys. Some items cannot be lost on the road.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:11 PM

When I want a zippered pocket for something that I won't access the entire ride unless I dismount, I put in in my seatpost bag. It's worked for 30 years, and no fumbling with a zipper when I'm tired or about to ride up on some unexpected obstacle.

House key, stuff like that.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:12 PM

I like them for keys and cards. Very useful for me.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
A small zippered pocket is excellent for items never accessed during a ride...like a house key...for example.
I sincerely wish this was a standard feature in all high-quality cycling jerseys. Some items cannot be lost on the road.
I agree with this^
Old 07-30-2020, 03:08 PM
Registered (ab)User

Poll-wise I'm between the 2nd and 3rd choices, so I didn't vote.

I own 2 or 3 jerseys with that 4th zippered pocket. And probably 20-25 without it. Maybe 50% of the time when I wear the jerseys with the 4th zippered pocket I make use of it.

I never miss it when I don't have it.
And I don't find it significantly more "secure" than a conventional pocket; it's just a convenient way to segregate the stuff that you'll never need until the ride is over from the stuff you might need during the ride.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:27 PM

I voted for #1, although I'm really in between #1 and #2. I have a strong preference for jerseys with a zippered pocket, and generally won't buy a jersey without a zippered pocket unless the jersey is really nice (design, fabric, etc.).
Old 07-30-2020, 03:42 PM

Me no care. I never lost a key even after a crash. The single key goes in my jersy pocket with the multi tool and spare tube.

I HATE zippers
Old 07-30-2020, 03:52 PM

Glad you like the current design. I like it too, and I use it sometimes, especially for a car key.

To respond to comment, I am considering leaving it off in part for budget reasons. Trying to put out a premium product and keeping the price somewhat reasonable (which is still very expensive for a cycling shirt) is very challenging as cost of fabric and manufacturing keep rising. So if people don’t need the pocket, why put it there if it just adds to the cost.

The other reason is design-based. Wabi Woolens jerseys are supposed to be simple, straightforward, so putting something on there that isn’t useful for most customers goes against my design principles.

I’m just looking for feedback as I ponder this change. And I certainly appreciate everyone’s thoughts on it, including yours.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voir dire View Post
I don't really care for smaller, separately located 4th zippered "key/change" pockets elsewhere on a jersey, but I value jerseys that either have the middle of 3 compartments zipped or else an additional 4th zippered pocket on or inside the middle, in that case open, pocket, like yours. Your design is the best variant.

I hope you are not thinking of getting rid of the zippered pocket for budget reasons. Please keep it since any premium jersey should have that special feature.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:48 PM

I never had one of these pockets when I rode mid-range jerseys. Then, I made the mistake of "moving up". Zippered pocket on the jersey pocket, under the pocket, like a waist coat pocket on my Alpha jacket. Now, I'll buy a jersey without one, but it'll be a much tougher sell. Love that little, safe pocket.
Since I only put keys or light items I won't need to get to or don't want to chance losing, I prefer the pocket to be off to the side rather than in the middle pocket. Easier to get to.

Last edited by makoti; 07-30-2020 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:52 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I HATE zippers
Them's fightin' words in some places:

https://www.levistrauss.com/2014/10/...versus-zipper/

Old 07-31-2020, 06:24 AM

nope.

important stuff goes into my zippered/weather-resistant phone-satchel, which then goes into a normal jersey pocket.

a zippered 4th pocket is neat in theory, but if i use the pocket invariably it becomes a place that i forget something of importance.