Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2020, 10:58 AM
Small ring

https://www.rbth.com/politics_and_so...vil-war_823252
Old 07-26-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
99% of problems posted on this forum are first world problems including probably any thread you or I started.
not sure about that...with Garmin Connect down, if you have to do a hard reboot, you can't load any route. Say you are in the middle of a bike packing trip, unit freezes, and by rebooting you lose all your routes. Only way to load routes wirelessly is strava or komoot apps. and w/o GC, you can't load apps.
So its kinda of a big deal. This is the high season of bike packing and many, including me, rely on Garmin Navigation to find the right route, often on solo trips and potentially on remote areas.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but I wonder if I will end up with duplicate entries in Strava once Garmin is back online. I went ahead and updated Strava directly with the files from my Garmin, and am guessing that the Garmin Connect might update Strava too once things are working again.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:14 PM

Anyone know if this Garmin issue impacts marine systems? I can't find news on that. Saw aviation down also though.

(Got a buddy on a big sailing trip, but from what I recall he has Raymarine gear as primary nav tools.)
Old 07-26-2020, 12:34 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
not sure about that...with Garmin Connect down, if you have to do a hard reboot, you can't load any route. Say you are in the middle of a bike packing trip, unit freezes, and by rebooting you lose all your routes. Only way to load routes wirelessly is strava or komoot apps. and w/o GC, you can't load apps.
So its kinda of a big deal. This is the high season of bike packing and many, including me, rely on Garmin Navigation to find the right route, often on solo trips and potentially on remote areas.
bike packing is a 1st world thing mostly.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:38 PM

I usually upload to my phone via BT. I finally had to go dig up a data cable! The horror!
Old 07-26-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
bike packing is a 1st world thing mostly.

And? What does it have to do with safety when riding?
I don’t care where you from but if you tell me you lost in a remote place and you rely on GPS and it doesn’t work, well that’s a problem for me.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:42 PM
tailgunning

you gave two other ways to load routes though, I was mostly commenting on how these are all 1st world problems.
Old 07-26-2020, 12:57 PM
ZhugeLiang

Common theme:
The awesomeness of shared networks, global travel, open interconnectedness - all come with associated risks and vulnerabilities

Like Corona, this is just a prelude.

Last edited by weisan; 07-26-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post

If people choose to travel in remote areas and don't carry backup maps and a compass they should stay closer to home and avoid unfamiliar routes. Too many folks dabbling in backcountry/bikepacking adventures aren't prepared to deal with the malfunctioning of their tech toys or equipment these days.
Old 07-26-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but I wonder if I will end up with duplicate entries in Strava once Garmin is back online. I went ahead and updated Strava directly with the files from my Garmin, and am guessing that the Garmin Connect might update Strava too once things are working again.

Strava won’t double post the same entry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
If people choose to travel in remote areas and don't carry backup maps and a compass they should stay closer to home and avoid unfamiliar routes. Too many folks dabbling in backcountry/bikepacking adventures aren't prepared to deal with the malfunctioning of their tech toys or equipment these days.
Word^
Old 07-26-2020, 02:01 PM

Sorry if you too cool for electronic navigation. But let me explain you that a Garmin is not a toy. It is used in both high end applications in aviation and boating. I am not an idiot and I have back up if a failure occurs. But the experience of exploring new areas with the aid of a turn by turn makes the whole experience more enjoyable as I can avoid stopping and check maps on trails.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Along with your point, I think I read that Garmin's InReach service is down as well. That's probably some peoples last/best form of remote communication in an emergency.

Sucks all around.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I am waiting to find out what bad software they were running.
It's almost never the software as everyone runs the same stuff above a certain scale or outside of specific niches. It is however almost always the process used to manage the development of the system (software and infrastructure). Teams incentivized to chase new features don't prioritize breaking organically grown systems into structured components, testing disaster recovery, etc.