Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyaugustus View Post
For those of you getting out there on the bike in the early hours of the day, what's your routine like? Do you eat breakfast before riding or eat along the way? Full stretch session after you wake up? Shower first and/or after? What time are you on the road?

These 90+ degree days make my usual ride time (6-8pm-ish) difficult, so I tried getting out there before work this morning. Was an uphill battle.
6-8am in an early riser to me
Edit: oops, just noticed you said PM, not AM.
I get up around 6am but usually don’t get out to ride until 9-10am

To deal with the heat, I take routes with plenty of tree cover and carry extra water.
My nephew gets out early. He’s usually back from a 50mi ride before I get out the door

Last edited by Tony T; 07-22-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:55 PM

I need to do a better job of prepping the night before. I have a tough time getting going in the morning.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:37 PM

The night before the ride, I stop eating or drinking after 7:30 PM. I don't want to be waking up to go to the bathroom. I also lay out my clothes including socks, gloves, eye wear and now a mask. And get the tires ready. After the alarm goes off, the first thing I do is turn on all the lights and brush my teeth. I drink a large amount of water quickly (which is at my bedside and at room temperature) to try and stimulate a gastrocolic reflex. I also do a Chris Hinshaw dynamic workup to limber up my hips and back.

There is a group of us that meets consistently. We found each other on the Strava flyby. After cyber stalking each other, we found out that we had similarities including 1) start and stop times, 2) where we live, 3) route choices. We have four regular circuits that we use. After the ride, I start recharging the electronics, refill the bottles, clean and lube, and refill anything in the repair kit.

Home to start breakfasts and lunches for the kids. The sweaty clothes are spread out to dry. Then I start drinking 2 liters of water. After a shower, I'll stretch, do some core stuff, and some light shoulder work. I'll finish off the 2 liters of water as I drive in to work or take the kids to school. At work I inhale a plate of oatmeal (it cools off faster on a plate rather than in a bowl!) covered with trail mix, extra raisins, some peanut butter, a banana, and a little bit of salt. The heat of the oatmeal melts the M&Ms and the peanut butter. Play on Strava. Start my day.

I like riding in a fasted state. Alarm at 3:25 AM, out the door by 3:55 AM, rolling with the group at 4 AM. Home before the family wakes up.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:45 PM
3D

"There is a group of us that meets consistently. We found each other on the Strava flyby. After cyber stalking each other, we found out that we had similarities including 1) start and stop times, 2) where we live, 3) route choices. We have four regular circuits that we use. After the ride, I start recharging the electronics, refill the bottles, clean and lube, and refill anything in the repair kit."

That's just funny!

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2020, 03:54 PM

Nobody's mentioned the nature call timing. This thread is worthless without a discussion of poop. I'm as regular as a swiss watch. 8:30am. Which makes for some scheduling challenges and/or mid-ride panic on early morning rides (riding can "move the schedule up" so to speak). So I generally ride later but wonder if my circadian poop rhythms can be altered over regular early rides? Any wisdom out there?
Old 07-22-2020, 04:24 PM

A cup of coffee and moving around gets the #2 situation moving.

1. 5am wake up
2. feed dog, make coffee
3. let dog out, drink coffee
4. let dog in, put gear on front porch
5. toilet
6. put on cycling clothes
7. 5:30am with banana&LARA in pocket, go ride.

It sounds dumb, but a bit of light movement will generally wake the bowels. Do a couple dozen toe touches or something equally ridiculous that gets the blood moving.
In the old days, my coach made us run a 12 minute mile before departing for a weekend meet, and the only purpose of that slow jog was to induce the poop, as far as I could tell.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 07-22-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:03 PM

In 2004 a few of us formed the "04:50" group. For the next 13 plus years my routine was:
1. Prep bike the night before
2. Up at 4:20
3. Dressed, one gel and out the door by 4:40 or 4:45 if I had a hiccup or something else to do do. Push it out! They won't wait.
4. Peddle two miles, getting muscles loosened and meet the group at 4:50, always 4 or 5, sometimes 10.
5. After 20 to 25 miles of a good pace, pushing each other some, home between 6 and 6:15.
6. Mix up about 32 oz of strawberry Recoverite mixed with milk and a bit of chocolate syrup, about 30 mins in front of a computer (to cool down or warm up) then shower and out the door.

It was a great routine that I did long and consistently enough--5 days a week, that I did it without thinking about it. It sure helped me get through 2008 to 2012! Not sure I'd have kept my sanity with this early morning boost.
Sadly I got jolted out of it a bit over two years ago. Habits lost, especially inconvenient ones, are sometimes hard to get back.

Last edited by bking; 07-22-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:22 PM

I was out the door today at 5:49. It was fabulous. Not sure if I will run tomorrow or zwift but it will be at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2020, 08:46 PM

Cool to hear from the early risers. My routine is pretty basic, 3x in the week with Tues, Wed, and either Thursday or Friday.

1. Bed about 9. Check that the light is charged or charge.
2. Up at 3-3:15, get the coffee going.
3. Check news, snack on something small like a cup of last nights dinner or bit of something from the fridge.
4. 3:45, quick check of bike. Pump/wipe tires, wipe/check bike. Hit the bathroom.
6. Load phone, spare tube, spare light, pepper spray. (&%$ coyotes).
7. Out by 4.
8. Ride varies. Easy, new routes, same routes, intervals, whatever might feel good that day.
9. Back in by 5:15 after about 20 miles. Breakfast, shower, then commute to my chair and start the day. (Company is finding they don't need office space anymore)

The best things are that you can sometimes sort out/plan the upcoming day, see the "regulars", ride with little traffic, and see a meteor or two...or a comet!

Helps when it now has been over 100 in the afternoons. A little tougher in the winter with temps in the high 30's .
Old 07-23-2020, 06:22 PM

Smile Night riders

Some of you guys are not really early risers but more like "night riders". More power to you but boy those winter mornings must be tough for some of you. I know our cool summer mornings can even be a challenge for the right clothing. I guess the night riders pretty much eliminate that concern.

(Cue the Hasselhoff jokes)
Old 07-23-2020, 07:52 PM

Great thread!

I loved riding/training in NYC Central Park at night years ago. The sound of a decent sized group hammering, the whoooooshhhhh of tires, at 9-10 pm or so is embedded in memory. So is seeing experienced guys riding steady pace at impressive speed on a track bike. Fun times!

Does that still happen these days?
Old 07-23-2020, 08:09 PM
The B!

i remind myself that its ALWAYS worth it, i am ALWAYS glad i did it, after the grogs clear out.

theres literally never once been a time in my life when i got up early and got going on something that makes me happy, and i was later like "i got up early for this?" nah. once 'em grogs clear out, im happy as a clam... despite what the id is telling me when the alarm goes off

not saying im perfect about it - i sure as **** couldnt get up and go to work at some set time every day, for instance.. nay, im a complete flake and a professional slacker... but for things like climbing, sailing, riding, racing, etc.. im always just fine 30 mins after i get up, if i can just remember to tell myself "you gonna be so glad you got up"

meth also works pretty well.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:36 PM

Many thanks for this thread. I've had my alarm set for 5:30am everyday this week in order to get out of the house early before the sun and traffic becomes too much. I always have that naughty voice saying how much more comfortable I'd be if I just slept in. This week, I've had this thread on my mind, which has been sufficient motivation to throw the covers off and knock out a quick hour and a half ride. FWIW, my routine is to lay my kit out in the morning with everything needed to go. I wake up, answer the call of nature, fill up my water bottles, and out the door. No food. No coffee. If I futz around the kitchen making something, I'll find an excuse not to get out the door in time.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:04 PM

early morning ride
quietly spinning so smooth
my mind is at peace...
Old 07-23-2020, 11:09 PM

About five years ago, my work schedule left me with pre-dawn as my only option during the week. I’d be in bed by 9:00-9:30pm, everything laid out and ready to go.

I woke up at 3:30-3:45 and got right on the bike. Rode 4-6am most mornings in total darkness. It was actually really nice - I had two strong headlights (one flashing and for backup).

A deer running in the woods next to you in total darkness can take your heart rate to max levels very quickly!!

My only issues were when fog would roll in as I was riding through the cornfields halfway out. That could get scary...