Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2020, 08:29 AM

Early risers... how do you do it?

For those of you getting out there on the bike in the early hours of the day, what's your routine like? Do you eat breakfast before riding or eat along the way? Full stretch session after you wake up? Shower first and/or after? What time are you on the road?

These 90+ degree days make my usual ride time (6-8pm-ish) difficult, so I tried getting out there before work this morning. Was an uphill battle.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:37 AM
50 bpm

Typically up at 6 to get started, put the dog out for business at 6:30 and hit the road by 7. Try to ride under 1.5 hours.

We're generally in bed by 10:30 or so and I set out my kit/bike/etc. before bedtime. (Makes it easier because the bike room is upstairs.) OJ and a banana before the ride; breakfast afterward.

I wish I could say I'm good at it but laziness sometimes wins!
Old 07-21-2020, 08:40 AM

Wake up around 5:30-6am due to chronic back pain. Eat some pills, make a cup of coffee, and check work email. Eat a banana and maybe some toast or yogurt. Get dressed and try to hit the road around 7-7:30am if I'm riding that day in the summer (highs in upper 90s usually). Typical ride is 1.5 hours, but used to throw in a 3 hour loop once or twice a week.

Biggest deal that makes early mornings tolerable for me is that I give myself enough time to putz around the house until I'm ready to do my thing. I'm a lot less functional when it's roll out of bed and go go go.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:49 AM

1-2 granola bars.
2 cups of coffee.
Bathroom.
Ride.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:52 AM

Summer is no joke in Northern VA. Since it's light fairly early, I like to leave the house around 5-5:30; back home by 10 at the latest. That way I beat the heat from the sun and the Mrs.

Just roll out of bed, have a banana and most times a protein drink and I am on my way. Not hammering it; mostly endurance; banking miles and enjoying the outdoors.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:53 AM

When I get out for an early ride, its really early. Out the door around 5am and back by 7:30 to get the boy off to school (when he was going to school).

I get everything sorted the night before: two bottles in fridge, full kit hanging up in another room (so I don't wake the wife and kids), cold brew ready from the night before, bike is by the back door, etc. I have a small serving of plain oatmeal before I head out. I also pack a breakfest bar for the ride, but don't always feel like eating it.

This works great for me if I make a routine out of it, but I really start to suffer when I try to mix it up and get a ride in after work or something. It throws off my sleep schedule and things fall apart.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:55 AM

I'm not kidding when I say that I just think about the Shia Labeouf video of him to do it
Don't eat breakfast, drink coffee. Breakfast post ride (between 6-8 AM ride time) but i'm lucky because if i'm hungry I can stop at a few cafes on loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Editing after seeing other comments as well:
Agreed on having partners to ride with
I do have everything ready the night before as well, even water in my bottles

Last edited by TunaAndBikes; 07-21-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:24 AM

We have a group, best way to get motivated. Meet in next town at 6-ish, leave my house about 5:45 T-F, once you get started with some like minded folks it's easy.. Get back to meeting pt by 8, 30 miles usually.

edit: Premake coffee timer on at 5am, clothes out the night before, toast usually before leaving and feed cat..

Last edited by Davist; 07-21-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:27 AM

Coffee. Go. Sports drinks on the bike. Eat when you get home. Feel happy all day.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:40 AM

form a habit

I remember a quote 90% of what we do is habitual, make it a habit then it'll seem normal.

Also helps when someone is out on a corner waiting for you.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:50 AM
Older Than You

One water bottle in the freezer and the other in the fridge overnight.
Up by 5am.
Eat one bagel with peanut butter and honey.
Two cups of coffee.
On the road by 6:15am with Fig Newtons and water.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:03 AM

I am echoing most hear. I must say a summertime early morning ride is my favorite time of year so that along motivates me to get out early to ride.

Up at 4:30 or 5:00 rolling by 5:30. out for 1.5 to 3.0 ride.
light breakfast of a big glass of water, small 8oz cup of really good coffee, a banana, and toast. I take a fig breakfast bar for on the bike snack.
When I get home I stretch, shower, and then have a good healthy breakfast.

Most of my rides are lightly structured. Tue easy spin recovery from Sunday. Wed endurance pace at 3 hr, Thur short with intensity, Fri option day off or recovery spin, off the bike on Sat, ride on Sunday.

I would say try different times to see what works for you and make it FUN. Of course some people are just not morning people and this doesn't work. I know some people who ride late at night because they are evening people. I couldn't imagine riding at 10:00 at night.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:16 AM

I am lucky because I have an internal alarm clock. 5AM everyday like clockwork, probably because i have some responsibilities to take care of before the day begins. Run the dog, clean the kitchen etc.

I will have coffee + water before and then head out and do 30-50 miles with 2-4k ft elevation. eat sometime around 1-2 if i'm hungry if not just one meal at dinner. I carry a banana sometimes with me if i feel bonky but usually never touch it.

Water only. Many endurance athletes despite being thin have markers for prediabetes ie insulin resistance. I avoid sugar, it can become excessive when i start rationalizing it because i'm 'working out'.

Shower before and after most times because it feels better to be on the bike after showering. I probably got this from commuting.

M-F usually riding the commuter bike because I am not as anal about it being set up properly, takes me less time to get out the door, everything I need is in the saddlebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katematt View Post
I remember a quote 90% of what we do is habitual, make it a habit then it'll seem normal.

Also helps when someone is out on a corner waiting for you.
love this

Last edited by cinema; 07-21-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:23 AM

Monday through Friday, if I ride in the morning my routine is as follows. I get the coffee maker ready with an auto start time of 5am. I’m usually up at 5:10 or so. I usually set out my kit the night before, which is just one less thing I need to do before rolling out. I also check tire pressure and apply lube to chain if needed the night before. Once again, the less I have to do to get out the door that early the better. Always, always, always have coffee and some water, sometimes a light breakfast consisting of some peanut butter toast, and or a banana, sometimes the banana comes along on the bike depending on how I feel. I’m usually out the door between 5:35 and 5:50am and get back home around 7:30. I love the morning light and air, so getting up early isn’t too much of an issue for me.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyaugustus View Post
For those of you getting out there on the bike in the early hours of the day, what's your routine like? Do you eat breakfast before riding or eat along the way? Full stretch session after you wake up? Shower first and/or after? What time are you on the road?

These 90+ degree days make my usual ride time (6-8pm-ish) difficult, so I tried getting out there before work this morning. Was an uphill battle.
Eat homemade granola/seed bars
Never shower first. Pointless.
Very light stretch before, not much after, either.
Stay off the phone/computer before leaving. Such a time suck.
Try to be out by 730 on really hot days (I know that doesn't SOUND early, but I work until 11pm, so trust me, it is)