Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2020, 11:15 AM

Dinotte - are they still in biz or temp. closed re: COVID?

Anyone have insight as to what's going on with their operations? Meaning, maybe closed down temporarily re: COVID? And hopefully not out of biz?

I ordered something a month and a half ago, my credit card was charged, but haven't received yet. I've sent follow up emails, phone messages, etc. No return communication.

Am plenty patient for anything I order online, but this is getting a little silly.

Not worth disputing (yet) with credit card company, as I assume it'll work out eventually.

If you have specific insight, it'd be appreciated.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:52 PM

I have no insight except to say I don't ride anywhere without their rear taillight. It is the brightest, most visibility-enhancing, light out there.

I actually have two cuz I love my wife and don't want her riding without one.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:06 PM

I bought a light from them pre-covid with similar results. Only took a few weeks to get the light though. They never answered any emails while I was waiting for it.
I had questions after I got it and tried emailing several times with no response.
There is a phone number on their FB page that was no help either.

Light is nice enough although pricey, but I wouldn't buy anything else from them.

John
Old 06-26-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
I bought a light from them pre-covid with similar results. Only took a few weeks to get the light though. They never answered any emails while I was waiting for it.
I had questions after I got it and tried emailing several times with no response.
There is a phone number on their FB page that was no help either.

Light is nice enough although pricey, but I wouldn't buy anything else from them.

John
Too bad, because I have bought multiple lights from them over the years, and they have had great products with solid customer service.
I hope they can get their mojo back.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:55 PM

I have been wondering too about their status since I have a light that needs repair, but no response from them after multiple phone calls and messages left and no email response either. In the past they were very responsive and helpful, but now it seems something is amiss...
Old 06-26-2020, 05:28 PM

Agree. I was actually going to get another one (Quad) after getting this small item fixed. The Quad is unbelievably bright, lasts plenty long (I run it in flashing mode all the time, including daytime). Best investment I made in bike stuff, ever.

Am hoping they're just swamped and will get back to normalcy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfatslow View Post
I have no insight except to say I don't ride anywhere without their rear taillight. It is the brightest, most visibility-enhancing, light out there.

I actually have two cuz I love my wife and don't want her riding without one.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:36 PM

I was just going to order a Quad, will hold up until someone reports what their status is. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:06 PM

honestly, i wouldn't. i ordered on may 13, have 4 emails on record and 3 voice mails simply (and politely) asking for shipment status and then most recently, asking for just the courtesy of a reply would be appreciated. no response. at this point i'd be perfectly fine with a, "got your message, sorry for delay but we're not shipping anything for another 2 months due to [insert reason]." will take something, anything!

if i was able to get someone there on the phone, i'd order another quad if they could guarantee shipment in a reasonable timeframe. it's such a great light.

disputed the charge and got reimbursed, which while fine was def. not my desired outcome. i just wanted the small replcement/repair part and am happy to pay and wait for it if someone at dinotte would just give a simple heads up on what they can/cannot do.

in meantime...anyone own a quad and had the front-facing silicone buttons break? i went the white trash fix route in going with red electrical tape. at least it blends in and covers the micro usb port. the power button gasket is still holding together, thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
I was just going to order a Quad, will hold up until someone reports what their status is. Thanks.

Last edited by 54ny77; 07-03-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:02 AM
Time & Bikes

Really sad. Best tailights we've ever used.

I just went to the Dinotte website, and when I clicked on the "Contact" link, here's what I got: "The requested URL /contact/ was not found on this server."

Where in NH is he? Can anyone close by check?
Old 07-03-2020, 10:11 AM

You have to go to the "Shop" page and then the contact is on the far right via a drag-down menu:

603 929 0123
sales@dinottelighting.com

Am assuming it's a small company and I hope it's just temporary COVID-related disruption. If so, wouldn't hesitate to buy again if back up & running. Agree the quad has been literally a game changer for me. Run it all the time, including daylight. It has made a difference, many cars come around me which I'll attribute to drivers seeing that crazy blinking bright tail light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallerman View Post
Really sad. Best tailights we've ever used.

I just went to the Dinotte website, and when I clicked on the "Contact" link, here's what I got: "The requested URL /contact/ was not found on this server."

Where in NH is he? Can anyone close by check?

Last edited by 54ny77; 07-03-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:30 PM

Just spoke with Dinotte. They are still in business and shipping units and spare parts (just ordered a couple spare parts). Their deliveries are a bit slow, they say, because of distribution problems and they are having trouble getting some parts, but for the most part they are doing repairs and are shipping orders. That's the word from a phone call this morning.

And a second on their product design and quality. Love their products. And they have always been superb about responding and caring for customers. I didn't see any difference in the call I just placed.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Just spoke with Dinotte. They are still in business and shipping units and spare parts (just ordered a couple spare parts). Their deliveries are a bit slow, they say, because of distribution problems and they are having trouble getting some parts, but for the most part they are doing repairs and are shipping orders. That's the word from a phone call this morning.

And a second on their product design and quality. Love their products. And they have always been superb about responding and caring for customers. I didn't see any difference in the call I just placed.
That is good news. I never leave home without my Quad blazing. I’ve also purchased several as gifts.

I have recently been thinking of buying another so that I can run one in the blinking mode and the other as a steady light.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:32 PM

Is it that much better than a Cygolite Hotshot 150 or Bontrager Flare models? Genuinely curious as I hear many great things about Dinotte.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:21 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monthly Payment View Post
Is it that much better than a Cygolite Hotshot 150 or Bontrager Flare models? Genuinely curious as I hear many great things about Dinotte.

I have both a Cygolite Hotshot 150 and the Dinotte. There is NO comparison. Dinotte is worlds brighter. The 150 is an "emergency" light for use when I have to ride home from the mtb trail. It simply isn't as bright. I think the flashing light on the Garmin Varia is brighter than the Cygolite based on seeing a rider from a distance that had the Varia flashing.

Last edited by SpeedyChix; 07-03-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monthly Payment View Post
What SpeedyChix said. There's no comparison.

I have an older Dinotte and it is, literally, the only light I've ever used where I had a driver pull up next to me and tell me it was a great light and he appreciated being able to see me. This has happened twice. Never with another brand of light because they're nowhere near as bright.

All this said, they're far too bright for nighttime usage. Even on its dimmest setting it's too much at night, at least for any kind of group.

But in daylight it's clearly visible, and from a long distance.