Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
PS: akelman, which model/year SIDI is yours?
I really like that grey color. Is the entire shoe simple/discreet like that, just grey and black/white primarily?

EDIT: yikes, slow reader AND slow typist. I now see the model is "Drako".
How does "Drako" fit compared to "Genius 5"?
These are MTB shoes. I haven't worn road Sidis in a long time, so I can't offer you a useful point of comparison. Sorry!
Old 06-23-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
These are MTB shoes. I haven't worn road Sidis in a long time, so I can't offer you a useful point of comparison. Sorry!
No worries. My MTB SIDI are "Dominator", same vintage as my road "Genius 5".
Old 06-23-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I gave away a different pair. And it's not big deal if they don't stretch. I imagine they'll break in a bit. I've always worn Sidis and liked them. These are just, um, not very forgiving of my deformed feet.
I hear ya. I so envy people who can just buy shoes and wear them carefree for years, then buy new ones. My wife..."what's the deal with your feet" is super understanding.

I bid you good luck!
Old 06-23-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
No worries. My MTB SIDI are "Dominator", same vintage as my road "Genius 5".
These are somewhat narrower and MUCH stiffer than Dominators. They seem to be very similar in terms of length.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Yup. So far, at least, I'm not the hugest fan. But I'm going to give them some time, and see they if break in a bit/break my spirit enough that I no longer notice that they're pretty uncomfortable.
Years ago I think it was the US SIDI distributor said that the shoes really don't break in like a leather shoe would. When on your feet they will warm up and change shape subtly. I found that if you locate the right insole, comfort improves.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:53 AM

Not a dumb question; I literally struggled with this adjustment just last week. Read the manual, then pulled and pushed and cursed until I got it to move.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:24 PM
Registered (ab)User

So can I piggyback onto this thread and ask about the SIDI "Adjustable Heel Retention Device"?

I've read the manual, stared at the pictures, looked at the shoes quizzically, scratched my head...and I still can't figure out what that thing is for or how it's supposed to work!

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-24-2020, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
So can I piggyback onto this thread and ask about the SIDI "Adjustable Heel Retention Device"?

I've read the manual, stared at the pictures, looked at the shoes quizzically, scratched my head...and I still can't figure out what that thing is for or how it's supposed to work!

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
did you look at the video i posted in post #7? That might help a little...
Old 06-24-2020, 01:05 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post

I've read the manual, stared at the pictures, looked at the shoes quizzically, scratched my head...and I still can't figure out what that thing is for or how it's supposed to work! Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
the soft brass screw on the adjustable heel retention changes the shape of the back of the shoe from a "U" into an ever narrowing "V".

For me, the adjustment is a primary driver for me to buy Sidi. It is all the difference between my heel lifting slightly while pedaling to staying planted while pedaling. Consider the original Rapha GT shoe...my heel was floating around back there like crazy no matter what size shoe or how tight i cranked the straps. not a good fit for me.

If you are unsure if the adjustment is applicable to you, open it all the way go ride. then start closing it one full turn and keep track of the number of turns. once it gets clearly too tight, back it off one turn. now go ride. that would be the way to do a controlled test.

FWIW I use the screwdriver under the strap method to make the one and done adjustment of the soft strap.

The Drako is a nice shoe but I don't think of Sidi for dirt. There isn't enough armor on a shoe like that for the bushwhacking and rock crawling I sometimes find myself doing. With the advent of gravel and for people using mtb pedals on road bikes the Drako does makes a good choice. Alternatives include the carbon soled two-bolt offerings from Specialized and Giro.

Last edited by pdmtong; 06-24-2020 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Added note about Drako
Old 06-24-2020, 02:29 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
did you look at the video i posted in post #7? That might help a little...
Ooh, I did not, will check it out. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
the soft brass screw on the adjustable heel retention changes the shape of the back of the shoe from a "U" into an ever narrowing "V".
...[snip]...
If you are unsure if the adjustment is applicable to you, open it all the way go ride. then start closing it one full turn and keep track of the number of turns. once it gets clearly too tight, back it off one turn. now go ride. that would be the way to do a controlled test.
Whoa, good intel, thank you very much!
Old 06-24-2020, 02:55 PM
v a n i l l a

I forgot if the there is a heel screw on both sides I think so. Make sure you set both sides to neutral and then adjust both sides evenly and keep track. I would think most people will notice a snugging if the heel cup so now it’s up to trial and error to determine if that fit is a preference

If you tighten them with your feet out of the shoe you can see the change. May not be a useful feature for everyone but for me it’s absolutely a useful feature
Old 06-24-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
With the advent of gravel and for people using mtb pedals on road bikes the Drako does makes a good choice. Alternatives include the carbon soled two-bolt offerings from Specialized and Giro.
Yup, this is me. I'm not riding a dedicated road bike at this point—because I'm a broken man—and the Sidis are a perfectly capable road-adjacent MTB shoe, I'd say, including the incredible stiffness of the sole.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I forgot if the there is a heel screw on both sides I think so. Make sure you set both sides to neutral and then adjust both sides evenly and keep track. I would think most people will notice a snugging if the heel cup so now it’s up to trial and error to determine if that fit is a preference

If you tighten them with your feet out of the shoe you can see the change. May not be a useful feature for everyone but for me it’s absolutely a useful feature
I'll give this a try as well later. I do get some heel lifting, and it would be nice to have that stop. On the other hand, there's a point beyond which I worry that these will become like something designed by the Marquis de Sade or Steve Martin's cruel shoes.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
These are somewhat narrower and MUCH stiffer than Dominators. They seem to be very similar in terms of length.
And this statement absolutely proves that there is never an "incredibly stupid question", since as a result of your question and our subsequent dialogue I now know that Sidi Drako are narrower and stiffer than Dominators, and therefore very likely NOT a good choice for me as anything narrower/stiffer than my Dominators would not be comfortable.

So, thank you.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:48 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
I forgot if the there is a heel screw on both sides I think so. Make sure you set both sides to neutral and then adjust both sides evenly and keep track.
by set both sides to neutral I mean back the screw all the way out so it is almost falling out then tighten it in to where you can just feel the threads start to bite. now the heel adjustment is wide open AND the screw will not fall out. Next start the process of counting turns on both sides to close the cup and change the shape from "U" to "V"

Quote:
I'll give this a try as well later. I do get some heel lifting, and it would be nice to have that stop. On the other hand, there's a point beyond which I worry that these will become like something designed by the Marquis de Sade or Steve Martin's cruel shoes.
I think you may be surprised. I dont feel the heel adjuster at all. all I feel is that the shoe fits a lot better to my heel and achilles and I do not get any annoying lift.

I think the broken man is in the rear view mirror as I recall a time where you being back on the bike was in serious question. Being back on the bike now is just a matter of enjoying what ever you can and are doing, and not comparing against what you once did.

That was a good note about USAA needing pictures. Thanks for the reminder and I am sorry you had to experience that.