Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2020, 11:47 AM

Got an Edge Explore to replace my 520 plus with a damaged charge port. Connecting with phone and uploads are completely automatic-no issues at all. 520 was fine also. I got the Explore over the 530 based on
point-to-point routing, touch screen, bigger screen, lower price (though only $50). The Explore has the full complement of apps available, including trailforks. I dont need all the training stuff.
In hindsight am second guessing the 530/830. I really didnt mind not having the point-to-point routing that much on the 520. In the rare instance I've done this in the field, I've routed via web app and sent to the unit via routeCourse app on the unit (Now you can use RWGPS phone app for routing). The 530, which does not have the point-to-point, is comparable in price. Two other things are screen size-the Explore is huge. Dont need it that big and is clunky-and battery life, which the 530 seems to be a bit of an improvement. As far as the latter, Based on rides so far it is right on target for the full reported 15 hours. I suppose it would be nice to have longer but for long rides, and in fact on all but shorter rides, I bring a battery pack anyway.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Got an Edge Explore to replace my 520 plus with a damaged charge port. Connecting with phone and uploads are completely automatic-no issues at all. 520 was fine also. I got the Explore over the 530 based on
point-to-point routing, touch screen, bigger screen, lower price (though only $50). The Explore has the full complement of apps available, including trailforks. I dont need all the training stuff.
In hindsight am second guessing the 530/830. I really didnt mind not having the point-to-point routing that much on the 520. In the rare instance I've done this in the field, I've routed via web app and sent to the unit via routeCourse app on the unit (Now you can use RWGPS phone app for routing). The 530, which does not have the point-to-point, is comparable in price. Two other things are screen size-the Explore is huge. Dont need it that big and is clunky-and battery life, which the 530 seems to be a bit of an improvement. As far as the latter, Based on rides so far it is right on target for the full reported 15 hours. I suppose it would be nice to have longer but for long rides, and in fact on all but shorter rides, I bring a battery pack anyway.
Thanks for the RouteCourse app tip. I recently picked up the 530 for the same price as the Explore and was getting frustrated by the lack of address routing. Komoot mobile -> 530 has been okay too.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:57 AM

After something like 15 years on a Garmin Edge 305 the battery started not holding a charge for more than 2 hours.

I tried to change it but never got it opened...(Still have the new battery)

It was a year ago & Quickstep was using Bryton so I thought I would give them a try

I bought the rider 410 because I don't need maps

Has everything I need & more with 72 functions available.
The 2.3" screen is nice. But best of all is battery is crazy long life with over 30 hours the average before I charge & even then showing life left.

Overall quite happy with it & the price is very reasonable
https://www.brytonsport.com/#/R410
Old 06-17-2020, 04:04 PM

I use a Samsung s8 phone with the Ride with GPS Android app. I replaced a Garmin 800 I had used for years with it. Connects to speed sensor, stages power meter, heart rate monitor (a Garmin ANT/Bluetooth one). Mostly I just record my rides with the screen off. Finish ride, type in a name, save it and it's on the rwgps site before I can go up a flight of stairs. It will also do turn by turn navigation for routes you (or your bike club) has saved. You can have the screen off (2 hour ride today I returned with 80% power left) or on (uses more power of course, good for maybe 5 to 6 hours of riding). With screen off it will wake to tell you about turns if you are doing a pre-recorded route.

The map that shows on the screen is actually readable if you get lost. That wasn't true with my Garmin.

A similar app exists for IOS phones.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:14 PM

I've been very happy with the Garmin Edge 530 and prefer to avoid touchscreens on a bike computer. The tech can be finicky at times but the Garmin ecosystem and GPS accuracy has been solid overall IMO.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:23 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

I went the complete different direction. I use the Wahoo Mini as my daily driver. Synch to my phone prior to ride start & it is flawless. I don't have a power meter or need maps, so it does everything I need. And it was $50.

Oh yeah. Completely waterproof. Doesn't need recharging after a ride. I just leave on the bike 24/7. Replaced the battery after a year just as a precaution. Truly fire & forget.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
I agree, there is a LOT of excess features on the 530 (and any modern GPS, if you really dig in to whats there).
Why is that? Because they are trying to be everything to everyone, which means most of us end up with a lot of crap we dont need in order to get what we want.
Its just the reality of modern gadgets (and bikes, for that matter).

I found it VERY easy to dial in the 530 to suit my needs via the ride profiles.
Road, Gravel, MTB.
Done.

I dont bother with connecting sensors anymore so I cant comment on that, though I would be surprised to find issues these days that didnt have an easy/obvious fix.

I connect my phone to the garmin via bluetooth and it has worked flawlessly for sending and receiving text message alerts, with instant and seamless uploads to garmin connect/strava before i can even take my phone out of my pocket at the end of a ride. Im not really sure what more you could want...

The Bolt felt too dependent on the phone/service in my opinion. If I was ever somewhere without cell service, the thing was helpless.
Not to mention useless for trail navigation.

I dont think most folks here really care too much about trail maps but I really cannot overstate how HUGE of a game changer it is to have trail forks maps directly on my handlebars. I guess if you just ride the same routes over and over this might not be a big deal but personally, I do a lot of traveling and riding in places ive never been before so this new map integration has been a godsend.

I think we use these computers for completely different purposes. What I want out of a computer is to show my data metrics clearly. I just about never use my computer for navigation. Wahoo GUI is a lot easier to read than a Garmin. The black and white display is easier to read than Garmin's colors display. Also, the Bolt is display is so much more configurable than the Garmin 530. When all comes down to it I want a display to show my numbers clearly as I suffer doing intervals. The buttons on the wahoo are also easier to use as well as to navigate through screens. I got the Garmin because it had some features that I really wanted to try out that wahoo did not have but they turned out to be not that good. Garmin can be finicky pairing my HRM. When it is 5am and you want to get a training ride in the last thing you want to deal with is a HRM that its pairing. Uploads work most of the time but there are times when they don't and you have to through a long process trouble shooting why they don't work. I know nothing about navigation so I don't have anything the comment about it.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
After something like 15 years on a Garmin Edge 305 the battery started not holding a charge for more than 2 hours.

I tried to change it but never got it opened...(Still have the new battery)
I put a new battery in my Edge 305 earlier this year. This site has a good recommendation for opening the case: https://www.jimc.in/replacing-the-ba...rmin-edge-305/. Once I had the unit open, I deviated from the website instructions by de-soldering the battery wires from the PCB that contained the USB charging port. My new battery already had wires installed, which I then soldered to the USB board. You need a micro soldering iron to connect the wires to the board because the connections are only 1-2mm apart. I used Permatex RTV to bond and seal the unit back together. My 305 now works perfectly with 6+ hours of battery run time.

Greg
Old 06-18-2020, 04:09 AM

I guess I'm the only one using a Polar for cycling computer.
Polar V650. All I really use it for is speed and distance though so I'd be fine with an old Avocet 40 lol.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:25 AM

Just recently acquired a Garmin Edge 530 and paired it with with the new Varia tail light / radar. Been super, super happy with both. I considered Wahoo and the main thing it seems to do better than Garmin is the setup and configuration process. I went with Garmin because I'm already sort of invested in the ecosystem (the Garmin Connect app in particular) and the head unit is a little smaller. Setup was fine. Went years without a bike computer (recorded stuff on Garmin watch) and it is nice to have the data right there in a dedicated unit. Can't say enough good stuff about the radar on the Varia. Sometimes 21st century technology is actually a good thing.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:18 AM

The "Plus" units now seem to be available at bike shops.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 06-18-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
I put a new battery in my Edge 305 earlier this year. This site has a good recommendation for opening the case: https://www.jimc.in/replacing-the-ba...rmin-edge-305/. Once I had the unit open, I deviated from the website instructions by de-soldering the battery wires from the PCB that contained the USB charging port. My new battery already had wires installed, which I then soldered to the USB board. You need a micro soldering iron to connect the wires to the board because the connections are only 1-2mm apart. I used Permatex RTV to bond and seal the unit back together. My 305 now works perfectly with 6+ hours of battery run time.

Greg
Thanks & yes that is the site I was also looking at. But mine just would not budge as far as splitting the case.
To make matters worse my buttons were perfect till I started going round the seam trying to open. Then they started to deteriorate

Perhaps I will give it another go That is actually a good computer that never gave me any problems till that battery understandably was giving up after 14-15 years

But truthfully this Bryton with 30+ hours battery capacity is an excellent deal for under $100 at most places
Old 06-18-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
The "Plus" units now seem to be available at bike shops.
Anyone understand the difference between the 130 and the 130 Plus?
Old 06-18-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Anyone understand the difference between the 130 and the 130 Plus?
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/06/...th-review.html