Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2020, 11:31 AM

Best bike computer/gps?

Anyone buy a new bike computer/gps recently? If so, what's good these days? I had a Garmin Edge 25 that I liked, because it was small and simple, but it's deceased. Rest in peace, little friend. You'll be remembered fondly. Anyway, I need something new and want to stick with something small, but I'm open to trying something more interesting.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:32 AM

Wahoo.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:41 AM

I really like my Garmin 130 so far. It’s like a modernized 500. Small, easy to read, good integration with my phone and varia tail light. Watch for sales and you can grab one for $150 or less.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
I really like my Garmin 130 so far. It’s like a modernized 500. Small, easy to read, good integration with my phone and varia tail light. Watch for sales and you can grab one for $150 or less.
Two questions about the 130, if you don't mind: First, is it about the same size as the old Edge 25? And second, will it mate with the old mounts?
Old 06-14-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Wahoo.
I'm intrigued.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akelman View Post
Two questions about the 130, if you don't mind: First, is it about the same size as the old Edge 25? And second, will it mate with the old mounts?
It’s going to be larger than your 25 but it’s noticeably smaller then the 200 and 500. it’s pretty darn small for everything it has inside.

Yes, standard garmin 1/4 turn mounts.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:55 AM
n - 1

Not sure what your budget is. I’ve been thinking of getting an Edge 830 along with the Varia taillight.

Hoping for good Father’s Day sales.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:50 PM

Anyone know if the Wahoos have the same mount as the Garmins?
Old 06-14-2020, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
99.9% sure the answer is no.

i'm sure that's by design. if you have multiple bikes and therefor mounts, either garmin or wahoo want you stuck in their ecosystem, nothing universal, i'm afraid.

it sounds like you are not interested in mapping, if that's the case, for very simple GPS computer, i have had good luck with my small lezyne. they make some pretty nice stuff these days, have a look as a 3rd option:

https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...ices-computers
Old 06-14-2020, 12:57 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
same but rotated 90* - so if you stuck a garmin on a wahoo mount it would be in a landscape orientation.

---

I owned a garmin 500, 520, 800, 810, and 1000 before jumping ship when the Bolt came out.
I like the simplicity of it compared to the garmin's and appreciated how the navigation handled routes that overlapped themselves at certain points.

Last year, my Bolt completed failed me. I had a route loaded/synced to it for weeks leading up a big ride (125mi gravel) in Southern AZ...rolled up to the start line and poof, route was gone. Had to navigate the entire thing via ridewithgps audio cues on my phone stuck in a stem mounted bag. It was enough to turn me off to the Wahoo. The rest of last year I rode mostly mtb only so I was just using the bolt or my garmin watch for recording rides and navigating with trail forks or mtb project on my phone.

then the garmin 530 (with integrated trail forks maps) was released and that was all i needed to hear.

i have been extremely happy with the 530 since buying it and I think the only thing that would make it better would be a touch screen (the 830).
if you ever ride trails there is no better option out there, period.

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 06-14-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Anyone buy a new bike computer/gps recently?
In late April I bought the first bike computer I've ever owned and took advantage of Wahoo's $50 rebate to buy a Roam bundle. Like I said, I went from zero to one of the more expensive, full-featured options. So far I like the Roam a lot. Still learning about all of the features. I've been using RideWithGPS (free version). I have a Strava account, but I do not use it.

I also purchased a Garmin Varia RTL510 that integrates with the Wahoo. I'd read it here several times that this was the best bike-related money some folks had ever spent. This is true for me. I recommend any dad who has a head unit (or uses their phone as one as the new RTL515 has Bluetooth to connect to phones) to put the bug in someone's ear for a Varia for Father's Day. What a great device.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:18 PM

Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt works great for me. The phone app to set up the computer and make changes is ideal. Picked mine up new for $200.
The mounts for Garmin do not work for Wahoo.
I’ve had the Garmin 500 - Great computer but not wireless syncing
Garmin 520 - Did not care for. Crashed a lot. Numerous replacements that had identical problems.
Garmin 530 - Had nothing but problems. Wouldn’t remember sensors, upload rides and was slow.
Got the Garmin 25 for my daughter. It’s ok. To basic

Last edited by smokersteve; 06-14-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:39 PM

My observations that do not have factual data to support them:

Garmin established The gps market with the loved by everyone 500.

The 500 become outdated and garmin released several replacements with quality issues.

Wahoo stepped into the market and gained a lot of ex-garmin users that were frustrated.

Garmin eventually got their act together and released some reliable units like the 130 but the reputation lingers.

I now seem to see/hear more issues with wahoo firmware than I do with garmin but I’ve got no idea if it’s due to popularity or if they actually do have more issues.

Edit:
Oh, and yes. The varia is awesome. I wouldn’t buy a computer that can’t connect with it.

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 06-14-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:51 PM

I have a Garmin 530. I have to say it is ill designed and overloaded with useless and confusing software and metrics. I have it dialed to what I need but I would highly recommend getting a Wahoo Bolt. It is just better. It is elegant in its hardware and software design. And it functions better than Garmin with uploads and pairing and all that other stuff.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:08 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I have a Garmin 530. I have to say it is ill designed and overloaded with useless and confusing software and metrics. I have it dialed to what I need but I would highly recommend getting a Wahoo Bolt. It is just better. It is elegant in its hardware and software design. And it functions better than Garmin with uploads and pairing and all that other stuff.
I agree, there is a LOT of excess features on the 530 (and any modern GPS, if you really dig in to whats there).
Why is that? Because they are trying to be everything to everyone, which means most of us end up with a lot of crap we dont need in order to get what we want.
Its just the reality of modern gadgets (and bikes, for that matter).

I found it VERY easy to dial in the 530 to suit my needs via the ride profiles.
Road, Gravel, MTB.
Done.

I dont bother with connecting sensors anymore so I cant comment on that, though I would be surprised to find issues these days that didnt have an easy/obvious fix.

I connect my phone to the garmin via bluetooth and it has worked flawlessly for sending and receiving text message alerts, with instant and seamless uploads to garmin connect/strava before i can even take my phone out of my pocket at the end of a ride. Im not really sure what more you could want...

The Bolt felt too dependent on the phone/service in my opinion. If I was ever somewhere without cell service, the thing was helpless.
Not to mention useless for trail navigation.

I dont think most folks here really care too much about trail maps but I really cannot overstate how HUGE of a game changer it is to have trail forks maps directly on my handlebars. I guess if you just ride the same routes over and over this might not be a big deal but personally, I do a lot of traveling and riding in places ive never been before so this new map integration has been a godsend.