Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 04:00 PM

Ughhhh, to buy or not to buy...that is the question

Been driving my Tacoma for 13 yrs, and while it has reasonably low miles it does have a bit of age....and I am now having to drive mom around a bit...so make payments on a 0% interest deal on a new Highlander?....keep driving the Tacoma...
Old 08-25-2019, 04:06 PM

Sounds like the Tacoma is just getting broken in....I’d drive it into the ground. Though if it is in decent shape, you’ll get a good price for it.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:07 PM
Administrator

depending on the condition, drivetrain and miles on the taco, you're sitting on a good chunk of cash there, the resale value of that truck is very high, especially if you sell it yourself. i've been casually looking at used tacos for years, and cant get over what they sell for used with piles of miles on them.

the highlander is a pretty dramatically different vehicle in almost every single way than the taco, aside from wearing the same badge. certainly a more refined driver and passenger comfort and handling experience, at the expense of rugged real-truck manners. if you never take the taco off pavement, dont tow or haul anything big, it's almost certainly the wrong vehicle to be driving for a variety of reasons.

highlander will be safer, get better fuel economy, more comfortable to drive on the road and be better overall in almost all but extreme offroad conditions.

is any of that worth swapping to you?

how is the body and frame - rust wise?
Old 08-25-2019, 04:09 PM

Ill buy the taco from ya.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:16 PM

Highlander. Mine is 11 years old, has more than 110K miles, and still is a joy to drive. Big bonus -- a complete bike fits in back (with the rear seats down) without taking off the front wheel.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoz View Post
Been driving my Tacoma for 13 yrs, and while it has reasonably low miles it does have a bit of age....and I am now having to drive mom around a bit...so make payments on a 0% interest deal on a new Highlander?....keep driving the Tacoma...
A new Highlander starts at $31,000 and goes to $46,000. Makes that paid for Tacoma sound pretty good don't it?

It could be an expensive outlay for a temporary or short term situation.

Let your mom drive the Tacoma once in a while
Old 08-25-2019, 04:27 PM

Rationalization

I tend to think of safety when I have other people in my car as my Matrix is 14years old and does not have much in terms of modern safety technology.

I am thinking about donating my car to a charity I support and buying a new Toyota 4Runner.

I would feel terrible if someone in my car were to get hurt in an accident while I was driving. I have two airbags in the whole car.

Perhaps the safety aspect can help you decide?
Old 08-25-2019, 04:40 PM

there is an excellent article in the current Motor Trend (Or car and Driver?) on the tremendous advances in occupant safety in new cars that are involved in crashes versus oder cars. It's a real eye-opener with stories/pix to add credibility.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
....and I am now having to drive mom around a bit...
Does Mom need anything in particular? I know in my case, easy in and out of the vehicle was important.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
2006 taco? So 2nd year of gen 2....

Access cab or standard? Mileage? Any rust?

Whatever you do DO NOT trade in.
And if you reallly want the ease of selling to the dealer park the taco off the lot negotiate your Highlander and THEN tell them you want to deal the taco
Old 08-25-2019, 07:48 PM

Warren Buffet drives a 20+/- year old Volvo right? What impact does the tacoma have on driving your mom around, or what are your concerns that the highlander would alleviate... safety, accessibility, etc?

I drive an old Outback that gets me where I need to go, it's ugly, not terribly comfortable to my family for long trips, but utility wise it's quite functional... style wise its a clunker. My better half has a slightly newer Highlander and it's fine. I don't like driving it as I find its seats uncomfortable on longer trips, but that's the complaint about my car from others so mine is the commuter and hers is the vacation/trip hauler. I'll trade you my Outback for your Tacoma.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:59 PM

Well my intentions were to keep it and run it into the ground, but mom's health has deteriorated and I am "driving Miss Daisey" as it were, she has a tough time getting in the truck. It is also a pain carrying more than one passenger as the access cab has minimal room. The Highlander is a pricey vehicle buuut at 0% financing and the discounts offered it's a vehicle I'd keep for a while just like I did the Tacoma
Old 08-25-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
2006 taco? So 2nd year of gen 2....

Access cab or standard? Mileage? Any rust?

Whatever you do DO NOT trade in.
And if you reallly want the ease of selling to the dealer park the taco off the lot negotiate your Highlander and THEN tell them you want to deal the taco
Access cab, good mechanically (I'm picky about that) but the paint is bad - the sun has baked it and stray cats in the neighborhood that sleep on the hood have scratched the crap out of it, no rust I can see.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:09 PM

Borrowing money to buy cars is hard to stomach imho. The average car payment is $500 in the us, if you invested that same amount of money per month for 30 years is somewhere in the ballpark of 5mil. This assumes the person is always upgrading and keeping a payment, and the market performs the way it has.

Saving to buy a car outright is OK in my book, but my Subaru is at 180k and I am planning on driving it into the ground.

Lastly, Tacoma’s are awesome.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Highlander. Mine is 11 years old, has more than 110K miles, and still is a joy to drive. Big bonus -- a complete bike fits in back (with the rear seats down) without taking off the front wheel.
That's why I like the Highlander vs a smaller suv - gotta fit a bike in it!