Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm714 View Post
I've been looking at getting a new camera and reading posts and reviews about them. Right now I am focused on the the Olympus OM-D E-M5 MIII and the Fuji X-T3. I need a camera to shoot photos on vacation, fishing adventures, my boys playing water polo and shooting video of them playing water polo. I know there are a lot devoted followers of each type, but if you could tell me why one over the other that would be great. Also what lens would you go with for what I want to accomplish and what is the second lens I should get? I will probably go with two right now. Thx.
I too shoot Fuji for the past 8 years but...

If Video is important I'd peruse this for some solid info.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buy...eras-for-video
Old 12-06-2019, 02:54 PM

For family and fishing, any good camera will work well for you. I haven't had an Olympus m43 for awhile but it was a great travel camera. Currently have six different Fuji and Sony bodies, but I'll be retiring from shooting in a year or so and hopefully downsizing. I recommend checking out different cameras and seeing what feels good to you.

For water polo, will you be working pool side or in the stands? The closer you are the less telephoto you tend to need. What kind of lighting does the pool have? For action you will need faster lenses and that's also where it hits your budget.

I haven't shot water polo since my film days but depending on the pool high ISO and fast lenses will be your friends. Since this is kind of specialized work you may think about renting glass for this as you are doing this seasonally and for fun. Knowing the sport is probably more useful than having the fastest AF. If you are focusing on your children that will also make it easier.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalax View Post
For family and fishing, any good camera will work well for you. I haven't had an Olympus m43 for awhile but it was a great travel camera. Currently have six different Fuji and Sony bodies, but I'll be retiring from shooting in a year or so and hopefully downsizing. I recommend checking out different cameras and seeing what feels good to you.

For water polo, will you be working pool side or in the stands? The closer you are the less telephoto you tend to need. What kind of lighting does the pool have? For action you will need faster lenses and that's also where it hits your budget.

I haven't shot water polo since my film days but depending on the pool high ISO and fast lenses will be your friends. Since this is kind of specialized work you may think about renting glass for this as you are doing this seasonally and for fun. Knowing the sport is probably more useful than having the fastest AF. If you are focusing on your children that will also make it easier.
This is socal, so outdoor pools and typically in good bright light. It's a year round sport for my sons. Location varies, but typically within 30 feet of the action. Its mostly video work as I need to put together highlight videos for recruiting purposes. I typically used my samsung note 10 for my older son, but it was limiting. I feel I need to step it up for my younger son. I used a borrowed sony a6300 with the 18-105 F4 G lens for some video and it seemed to have enough reach for the pools I was shooting at.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:44 AM

unfortunately i don't know much about the Olympus stuff, but have been using Fuji for a number of years now after ~20 years of Canon.

an X-Pro2 and X-T2 have gotten me through a couple seasons of World Cup cyclocross races and a World Championship in all weather - cold, rain, mud, you name it.
never had trouble with them or needed servicing.

X-T3 does have some noted improvements over the X-T2, so i can't see not recommending it.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:48 AM

I just moved to 4/3 last spring but I've loved the Oly OMD EM 1 Mk II. The newer version of the 5 has some of the features from the 1 that make it nice for sports shooting -- it's very fast, for one thing, and you might check out the pro-capture mode for the water polo shooting you have in mind (pretty sure they now have this in the 5, but check).

The basic Olympus glass is very good and the "pro" glass is excellent -- and there's a very good selection of lenses across Olympus and Panasonic (and some alternatives, including not just the Leica-branded Pany lenses). I mean . . . if we're talking about a huge library of rental lenses instead of just a few or a handful you might buy for yourself, it's hard to imagine either alternative competing with Nikon or Canon, but there is a good range of choice here.

So . . . the couple of people I know with Fuji systems, including one very good pro, love them, and my own experience with the line is pretty limited, so although I looked at them when I went with Olympus I've got nothing much to say by way of comparison. They are both good options, so far as I can tell.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:14 PM
shimergo

Big fan of my Fuji X-T1 that I've had for the past 2 years. The only lens I have for it currently is the XF 27mm f/2.8. I chose a prime lens since it makes the camera more compact, especially for travel. It does a great job for portraits, street type shots, etc. and does a decent job at landscapes.

I may consider "upgrading" my lens or looking at other bodies that offer image stabilization, especially for video recording.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
If you're going to carry one, IMO go for the biggest sensor you can carry because you're maximizing the difference from the smartphone camera you're always carrying around.

I have an EOS 5D Mark III... it is getting long in the tooth (though no where close to worn out) but I'm not terribly excited about replacing it even though it's sufficiently large to be very optically different than a smartphone.
took the words right outta my mouth. my phone camera is good enough for snaps. if i'm going out of the ordinary routine and bringing a camera, it needs to be "different" enough. i.e. film, or medium format.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:55 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
Big fan of my Fuji X-T1 that I've had for the past 2 years. The only lens I have for it currently is the XF 27mm f/2.8. I chose a prime lens since it makes the camera more compact, especially for travel. It does a great job for portraits, street type shots, etc. and does a decent job at landscapes.

I may consider "upgrading" my lens or looking at other bodies that offer image stabilization, especially for video recording.
I own the 27mm. It's a great lens for travel and walking around. The video on the X-T3 is fantastic and you can always warp stabilize in post if you need to. If you want a versatile lens you can get great deals on the "kit" lens which is the 18-55 (around $300 on ebay as people are always upgrading thinking they need the faster 16-55). The 18-55 is light yet solid. Sharp as a tack and has optical stabilization. Evidently the new 16-80 that just came out isn't quite as good as most of the other Fuji lenses which are by and large outstanding.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:31 AM

I wanted to revive this old thread as I'm thinking of picking up a mirrorless camera and could use the collective wisdom of the Forum for some guidance. My elementary school aged daughter has shown some interest in photography, and my wife dug out her very old and battered NikonD60 with standard kit lens to let her play around with it on automatic as she learns her way around the camera. I'm hoping it'll be the start of a lifelong interest in photography. Seeing her with a DSLR has sparked my interest in moving beyond my smartphone camera into something more advanced with manual modes and interchangeable lenses. I'd been a point and shoot person for a while before camera phones got as good as they are now. I'd always wanted to learn how to properly use a DSLR. Before the pandemic, I'd planned on signing up for a photography workshop (which I had to cancel with the kids at home 24/7) and really learning the ins and outs of using a fully manual camera as well as some photography theory. In the meantime, I've been doing some homework on youtube as time permits in delving into the various program modes and manual features on the Nikon.

I'm intrigued by the size of mirrorless cameras and their portability. Previously, I never much grabbed the Nikon for vacations or family outings given it's bulk, but with a mirrorless camera, it seems like something I could put in a front handlebar bag on rides or toss in a small hiking backpack on longer walks or trips. With bodies and kit lenses for micro four thirds and APS-C cameras going in the $500-650 range or so, the price doesn't seem outrageous for a hobby I'm starting to dip my toes into a bit more. As with bikes, it's hard to get a sense of what the real differences are in these various systems by reading reviews and forum discussions. As the bike person in the family and in my office, I get lots of "what roadbike should I buy question." I invariably tell them that they should buy something from their LBS in their budget and that nearly anything on offer will be fantastic. I steer them away from bikes with Sora components, but basically tell them any roadbike from a large manufacture regardless of frame material will be excellent for a beginner cyclist. They are all likely to come from a handful of factories in China anyway. For someone new to cycling, the distinctions between an entry level Trek, Cannondale, Spec etc are pretty meaningless. Now I feel like the tables are turned and I'm groping around in the dark trying to understand the entry to mid level market and what are meaningful distinctions between products versus marketing hype or enthusiast snobbishness.

I'm pretty set on mirrorless given its size. Video isn't a concern for me, so I'm not too hung up on 4k, mic inputs, etc. Definitely need a viewfinder. As for sensor, I've seen the talk that micro four thirds is dying and with Olympus out of the camera business, the format is likely to stop evolving. Other seem to knock the M43 sensor size as not being sufficiently large to be distinctive enough from a smartphone. Again, others swear by the format given the size of the cameras and availability and interchangeability of lenses. I see you can get Olympus om-d e-m10 mark iii with kits lens as an open box from Olympus for $470. The Panasonic GX85 can be had with a kit lens new for about the same price. Features seem pretty identical, except the form of the camera itself (mini-DSLR v rangefinder styling). I see folks harping on the 16mp sensor and wonder if that's like folks in our bike world snobbishly pointing their nose at a 105 group that will perform just as flawlessly as 9100? I'm running Record C10 on most of my bikes and deep down inside, I know that 5800 etc probably just as good as my Campy setup if if it lacks the bling factor and may weigh a tad more.

Looking at cameras with APS-C sensors, the Sony A6000 seems to be on everyone's recommendations list. Not too concerned about it being old tech given that I'm just jumping into things. The larger sensor, well regarded AF features, and higher megapixel count does seem like a nice benefit. Would I really miss a touchscreen LCD? Are Sony E-mount lenses that much more expensive (I'd like to pick up a few prime lenses as my skills and interest progress). I've heard some knock the camera as being too chintzy feeling. Also on the APS-C is the Fuji X series. The XT-200 is in my price range, but reviews have been mediocre. Again, hard to know if those mediocre reviews are warranted or not. Yes, I'm sure an XT-30 would be great, but the body itself is almost twice my budget.

Since I'm not coming from another camera system, I have no real brand allegiances nor preferences for one type of menu system or the other. I'd prefer to buy new or factory refurbished rather than going the used route at this point. Any real world experience with these (or other suggestions would be very helpful). At some point I'd like to pop into a camera store and hold a few of these in my hand, but I'd like to do a bit more research first to narrow down the field.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:14 AM

The Sony's are really awesome!
Old 08-25-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbh View Post
I wanted to revive this old thread as I'm thinking of picking up a mirrorless camera and could use the collective wisdom of the Forum for some guidance. My elementary school aged daughter has shown some interest in photography, and my wife dug out her very old and battered NikonD60 with standard kit lens to let her play around with it on automatic as she learns her way around the camera. I'm hoping it'll be the start of a lifelong interest in photography. Seeing her with a DSLR has sparked my interest in moving beyond my smartphone camera into something more advanced with manual modes and interchangeable lenses. I'd been a point and shoot person for a while before camera phones got as good as they are now. I'd always wanted to learn how to properly use a DSLR. Before the pandemic, I'd planned on signing up for a photography workshop (which I had to cancel with the kids at home 24/7) and really learning the ins and outs of using a fully manual camera as well as some photography theory. In the meantime, I've been doing some homework on youtube as time permits in delving into the various program modes and manual features on the Nikon.

I'm intrigued by the size of mirrorless cameras and their portability. Previously, I never much grabbed the Nikon for vacations or family outings given it's bulk, but with a mirrorless camera, it seems like something I could put in a front handlebar bag on rides or toss in a small hiking backpack on longer walks or trips. With bodies and kit lenses for micro four thirds and APS-C cameras going in the $500-650 range or so, the price doesn't seem outrageous for a hobby I'm starting to dip my toes into a bit more. As with bikes, it's hard to get a sense of what the real differences are in these various systems by reading reviews and forum discussions. As the bike person in the family and in my office, I get lots of "what roadbike should I buy question." I invariably tell them that they should buy something from their LBS in their budget and that nearly anything on offer will be fantastic. I steer them away from bikes with Sora components, but basically tell them any roadbike from a large manufacture regardless of frame material will be excellent for a beginner cyclist. They are all likely to come from a handful of factories in China anyway. For someone new to cycling, the distinctions between an entry level Trek, Cannondale, Spec etc are pretty meaningless. Now I feel like the tables are turned and I'm groping around in the dark trying to understand the entry to mid level market and what are meaningful distinctions between products versus marketing hype or enthusiast snobbishness.

I'm pretty set on mirrorless given its size. Video isn't a concern for me, so I'm not too hung up on 4k, mic inputs, etc. Definitely need a viewfinder. As for sensor, I've seen the talk that micro four thirds is dying and with Olympus out of the camera business, the format is likely to stop evolving. Other seem to knock the M43 sensor size as not being sufficiently large to be distinctive enough from a smartphone. Again, others swear by the format given the size of the cameras and availability and interchangeability of lenses. I see you can get Olympus om-d e-m10 mark iii with kits lens as an open box from Olympus for $470. The Panasonic GX85 can be had with a kit lens new for about the same price. Features seem pretty identical, except the form of the camera itself (mini-DSLR v rangefinder styling). I see folks harping on the 16mp sensor and wonder if that's like folks in our bike world snobbishly pointing their nose at a 105 group that will perform just as flawlessly as 9100? I'm running Record C10 on most of my bikes and deep down inside, I know that 5800 etc probably just as good as my Campy setup if if it lacks the bling factor and may weigh a tad more.

Looking at cameras with APS-C sensors, the Sony A6000 seems to be on everyone's recommendations list. Not too concerned about it being old tech given that I'm just jumping into things. The larger sensor, well regarded AF features, and higher megapixel count does seem like a nice benefit. Would I really miss a touchscreen LCD? Are Sony E-mount lenses that much more expensive (I'd like to pick up a few prime lenses as my skills and interest progress). I've heard some knock the camera as being too chintzy feeling. Also on the APS-C is the Fuji X series. The XT-200 is in my price range, but reviews have been mediocre. Again, hard to know if those mediocre reviews are warranted or not. Yes, I'm sure an XT-30 would be great, but the body itself is almost twice my budget.

Since I'm not coming from another camera system, I have no real brand allegiances nor preferences for one type of menu system or the other. I'd prefer to buy new or factory refurbished rather than going the used route at this point. Any real world experience with these (or other suggestions would be very helpful). At some point I'd like to pop into a camera store and hold a few of these in my hand, but I'd like to do a bit more research first to narrow down the field.
Mirrorless cameras burn batteries much faster than a dslr. Other than that i would say: get the camera you like to hold in your hand. All brands are good.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:33 PM

Just an update on this. I ended up getting a refurbed Olympus OMD E-10M II from Olympus last week on sale. I was on the fence about whether to get an entry level M43 or something equivalent in the Sony or Fuji line. All of the options seemed good, but I was interested in M43 given the size and accessible cost and availability of lens. I've got a couple of prime lenses on order to fool around with. Thus far been very impressed. The small form factor is a huge bonus, as I can bring it with me nearly anywhere, including a front handlebar bag. Definitely going to need a few extra batteries as the camera eats through those quickly.

Last edited by dbh; 09-02-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Just an update on this. I ended up getting a refurbed Olympus OMD E-10M II from Olympus last week on sale. I was on the face about whether to get an entry level M43 or something equivalent in the Sony or Fuji line. All of the options seemed good, but I was interested in M43 given the size and accessible cost and availability of lens. I've got a couple of prime lenses on order to fool around with. Thus far been very impressed. The small form factor is a huge bonus, as I can bring it with me nearly anywhere, including a front handlebar bag. Definitely going to need a few extra batteries as the camera eats through those quickly.
Have fun!

Buy Olympus batteries IMO
Old 09-02-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Have fun!

Buy Olympus batteries IMO
Anything wrong with Duracell? They seem exactly the same at a fraction of the price. Plus not as though they are exactly some shady third party seller.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Anything wrong with Duracell? They seem exactly the same at a fraction of the price. Plus not as though they are exactly some shady third party seller.
I've purchased a few different brands for my Fuji's overt he years and the OEM batteries still seem to run the longest for me. Anecdotal but that's all I got.