Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2019, 08:38 AM
Administrator

OT: JDM Vehicles

A few years ago we had this thread running about vans and I had been looking at the Mitsubishi Delicas quite a bit...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ica+mitsubishi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fgXXhO51gM

Living on the East Coast at the time there were no examples locally for me to check into. Well, now that we are on the West Coast and not far from the Canadian border where these things are generally brought in I'm seriously considering this again. There are some for sale locally so I can get a close up look and see how well I can fit into one (being from the land of the Giants and all). Putting the local units aside, has anyone here ever worked with an importer and brought a JDM vehicle into the States? They claim there are only two forms to fill out and you are good to go (with some tax fees of course). I'm just looking for info and weighing the pros and cons of going this route.

My Landcruiser friends are going to bust my beans for this but these vehicles have intrigued me.

W.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:49 AM
Administrator

i have wondered myself.

i'm sure some states are easier than others, but what about emissions checks?

i concur with your assessment, traveling around the pacnw, there are a ton of interesting non us cars/trucks that one sees, not so much on the east coast.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:14 AM

I have an 80 series, a 100 series and a Sprinter but I still want a Delica.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:16 AM

I have absolutely no experience but my friend works for a Japanese automobile import/export company.

Usually they do drift cars for racing on the track but I could definitely ask him if a delica can be thrown in the container.

I will say this, another friend got a Japanese van imported by this friend and the registration process turned out to be a nightmare

Ps. If you like the delica try looking at Hi-Ace or the unfortunately named Master-Ace
Old 09-06-2019, 09:18 AM

Jdm?
Old 09-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Administrator

the other thing to consider when living out in the mountains is what a real drag it is to drive an underpowered vehicle uphill and on highways.

this is my biggest concern when buying an "adventure vehicle" - the bottom line is that, generally speaking to get to all of the fun adventure stuff usually involves extended highway driving and traversing mountain passes, etc - and it can really, really suck to have to do a 6 hour highway drive in a vehicle that is straining to hold 70mph and bogs down when the road turns uphill.

my guess is that these vans have decent offroad prowess, but are a drag to drive on the road to get to the fun.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
the other thing to consider when living out in the mountains is what a real drag it is to drive an underpowered vehicle uphill and on highways.

this is my biggest concern when buying an "adventure vehicle" - the bottom line is that, generally speaking to get to all of the fun adventure stuff usually involves extended highway driving and traversing mountain passes, etc - and it can really, really suck to have to do a 6 hour highway drive in a vehicle that is straining to hold 70mph and bogs down when the road turns uphill.

my guess is that these vans have decent offroad prowess, but are a drag to drive on the road to get to the fun.

Turbo-Diesel!

Quote:
JDM?
Japanese Domestic Market vehicles/

W.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
I have absolutely no experience but my friend works for a Japanese automobile import/export company.

Usually they do drift cars for racing on the track but I could definitely ask him if a delica can be thrown in the container.

I will say this, another friend got a Japanese van imported by this friend and the registration process turned out to be a nightmare

Ps. If you like the delica try looking at Hi-Ace or the unfortunately named Master-Ace

There are a number of registered and titled vehicles here so it's possible. I need to learn the particulars of that process.

W.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:28 AM
Cranky!

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/inventory/
Old 09-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Isn't there a 25 year rule that prohibits ownership unless the car is at least 25 years old?
Old 09-06-2019, 09:42 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky View Post
Isn't there a 25 year rule that prohibits ownership unless the car is at least 25 years old?
In the U.S., yes.

The rules in the Canada are less restrictive, which is why Canada (esp. BC), has a ton of cars imported previously, that are now eligible for registration in the U.S.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post

If it was to register in CA - CA is the craziest when it comes to anything related to the DMV.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
If it was to register in CA - CA is the craziest when it comes to anything related to the DMV.
CA. Yes. Also didn’t go through an official importer. Friend just brought it in and handed it over.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:08 AM
|:||:|::|:||:|:

I have a 1991 Toyota HiAce. In it's previous life it was a fire truck in Northern Japan. I opted to buy it from one of the local dealers here in Seattle (jdmcarandmotorcycle.com) with a clean WA title. A friend of mine did the import themselves; said it wasn't hard but a few things took longer cause he didn't know the ins and outs beforehand.

2.4L NA diesel engine gets grrrreat fuel economy but yeah you ain't passing nobody going up a mtn pass. Generally I can pace semi's and am usually slightly faster but yeah you get the idea.. 5spd standard transmission so it does wonderful in the snow/sand/mud, put it in L4 and just grunt around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190906-075941.jpg (110.6 KB, 936 views)
Old 09-06-2019, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpendergast View Post
I have a 1991 Toyota HiAce. In it's previous life it was a fire truck in Northern Japan. I opted to buy it from one of the local dealers here in Seattle (jdmcarandmotorcycle.com) with a clean WA title. A friend of mine did the import themselves; said it wasn't hard but a few things took longer cause he didn't know the ins and outs beforehand.

2.4L NA diesel engine gets grrrreat fuel economy but yeah you ain't passing nobody going up a mtn pass. Generally I can pace semi's and am usually slightly faster but yeah you get the idea.. 5spd standard transmission so it does wonderful in the snow/sand/mud, put it in L4 and just grunt around.
Nice rig!

There is a Toyota HiAce locally with a 3.0 liter 1 KZTE Turbo-Diesel. Not real familiar with these but I'll do some digging.

W.